Give me a reason not to trade my car in..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a reason not to trade my car in..

Hello all,

First I want to say I come from a honda family we have had crxs,accord ect but this car has really let me down here is the list I think most of you folks here know what I'm saying is true:

1) sun roof rattle fixed but is back
2) Dash squeak,rattle
3)Seat squeak fixed
4)seatbelt squeak fixed but back
5)timing belt tentioner replacement
6)super soft paint
7)Armrest coming apart fixed with locktight by dealer
8)Thin sheetmetal very prone to denting
9)CD player making werid noises when disk changes
10) Warped rotors
11) possible tranny problem

The sad thing is my mom's old 87 accord was built better 289k and just regular stuff replaced ie brakes struts ect not trannys!

I was hoping to hold on to this car for 200k but the squeaks alone will make it unbearable not to mention the fear that my tranny could go early or right after warrenty. I'm not an acura hater I'm just really dissapointed with my purchase as far as styling and engine goes there is nothing but praise from me but a car is a total package so tell me why I should not dump my 03 TLS sorry for the rant
Old 11-27-2003, 12:58 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple: every car will have their share of problems. Just some appears early and others appear late.

But if you really must get rid of the car then you are better off selling it privately. That way you can get more $$$ for it.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Cruisin'

Are these cars really that prone to developing rattles and squeaks?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Pusha Z

I dont know but if you ride around with your sunroof cover the rattling and squeaking are unbearable. I just crank up the music until I park..... ghetto
Old 11-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro

I won't tell you not to trade it in........

if you can do it...
Old 11-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by InSuboRdiNaTioN
Are these cars really that prone to developing rattles and squeaks?

Every car has squeaks and rattles.........
Old 11-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Drifting

1. it's a great car for the price, and an even better car for the value will get on a trade in

2. any new car will have problems, squeeks are better than blown engines, blown turbo's etc.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Give me a reason not to trade my car in..

Originally posted by norcalsguy
Hello all,

First I want to say I come from a honda family we have had crxs,accord ect but this car has really let me down here is the list I think most of you folks here know what I'm saying is true:

1) sun roof rattle fixed but is back
2) Dash squeak,rattle
3)Seat squeak fixed
4)seatbelt squeak fixed but back
5)timing belt tentioner replacement
6)super soft paint
7)Armrest coming apart fixed with locktight by dealer
8)Thin sheetmetal very prone to denting
9)CD player making werid noises when disk changes
10) Warped rotors
11) possible tranny problem

The sad thing is my mom's old 87 accord was built better 289k and just regular stuff replaced ie brakes struts ect not trannys!

I was hoping to hold on to this car for 200k but the squeaks alone will make it unbearable not to mention the fear that my tranny could go early or right after warrenty. I'm not an acura hater I'm just really dissapointed with my purchase as far as styling and engine goes there is nothing but praise from me but a car is a total package so tell me why I should not dump my 03 TLS sorry for the rant
Been thru a long list of Hondas myself. The TLs are a North American product and are definitely no comparison quality wise to the Japan made ones like the Integras, TSX and RLs. Fit and finish are night and day. And I am guessing the "required" north american content that NA Honda needs to use on the cars added to the type of manufacturing methods in building the cars.

1 to 4) squeaks and rattles can be fixed. If not by the dealer then maybe by you. Rattles do come out in ANY car held together by screws, nuts and bolts. Just have to find out where they are and rectify them.

5.) timing belt tensioner- problem found by Honda and was fixed. If this was a Ford or a GM or heaven forbid a Chrysler, they would deny these things happen and tell you thanks for buying their cars but you're SOL.

6.) paint can be better, or even worse. I have seen other brands with clearcoats peeling off, and primers exposed. And these are fairly new cars. The only car with a superb paint-job I have seen is a Porsche. Even BMWs and Benzes suck. Maybe it's the climate or maybe it's the panting system used. I am meticulous when it comes to my finish, I don't even bring my car to car washes unless it's touchless.

7.) If you use the armrest, then it WOULD come loose over time. I guess they figured out a solution.

8.) I heard that even the H2 Hummer uses sheet metal. Audi A8 and Jag XJ-S uses Aluminum alloys. The LAV 25 however is a different story. I have had this same problem even with my older cars. Solution-park far away from grandmas with big buicks and others who are like them, and put up with the long hike to the end of the parking lot. If you love your car, you would.

9.) CD player makes weird nosies when disk changes? How about the noises it makes while playing CDs, maybe you didn't hear them.

10.) brakes are a problem with any car, not just the TL. Solution is aftermarket brakes. A self-respecting TL owner should have this in mind after warranty expires.

11.) There IS a tranny problem. That's why Honda issued an extended warranty on even the 99 TL.

The car is not a tank, but it's not a XG 350 either. I don't think the TL will last to 200K, not the same build as the Accord of yesteryears. But these days, which ones do? I am not too impressed with the car myself, but the service and support I still get from Honda is the key. One thing I learned is not to get another TL. I am well looked after by Honda as a customer. And if that changes, then they just lost me to Toyota/ Lexus.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Dr. TLS

Trade in if you can afford it. But I'll guarantee you this: they don't make cars as they once did. Now the new thing for every manufacturer is to make a component from several parts rather than just one. Even my uncle's LS430 rattles, so since all cars rattle, I would just stick with the TL or trade it in for a Kia Sephia, which probably rattles too. jk
Old 11-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If we can build objects to orbit in outerspace, to withstand the heat and other factors...I'm pretty sure we can build cars that won't have any problems? But of course, we don't because it wouldn't be smart too. People gotta make money someway, eh?
Old 11-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have that much money to burn, then by all means trade away. But...at the very least you should get a better NEW car. It'll be a waste to trade a perfectly good car (especially if you are the first owner) with one that's already used.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:43 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the replys guys I guess I can see most of the points people have listed here I guess what sent me over the edge
is I borrowed my wifes car for a week an audi a4 and it is not nearly as quick as my tl but the quality no ratlles not squeeks ect
oh well I need to think on it some more...
Old 11-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Drifting

Simple solution : make some babies!

then your wife will need the extra size of the TL and you can take the A4 and put a chip and exhaust in it!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by vandy786
Trade in if you can afford it. But I'll guarantee you this: they don't make cars as they once did. Now the new thing for every manufacturer is to make a component from several parts rather than just one. Even my uncle's LS430 rattles, so since all cars rattle, I would just stick with the TL or trade it in for a Kia Sephia, which probably rattles too. jk
I used to own a Kia Sephia. and you think the TL rattles?...

I've had no bad experiences with this vehicle just minor stuff here and there. No tranny problems at 60000Km, factory tensioner replaced due to recall and normal service. that's it.
I've got a factory '02 TL-S. The service I get from Acura is second to none.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Banned

buy another TL or if u dotn need ultimate power get a RL its smooth, no rattles or anything
Old 11-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Trade in that m/f-er!!!

why do you still own it?
Old 11-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by norcalsguy
Thanks for the replys guys I guess I can see most of the points people have listed here I guess what sent me over the edge
is I borrowed my wifes car for a week an audi a4 and it is not nearly as quick as my tl but the quality no ratlles not squeeks ect
oh well I need to think on it some more...
Oh you just wait. You'll have more serious problems than just squeaks to worry about on the A4. I know a family in Virginia and another in Cali who have been through so much with their A4s that they both traded in (one won a lemon case) and promised never to buy another Audi again. I like the looks of the A6 and A8 though.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Banned

if u dont want it, ill take it