Gen1 3.2TL, what car to swap parts from

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 03:10 PM

Post Gen1 3.2TL, what car to swap parts from

Well since the first GEN 3.2TL is so neglected, im wondering if anyone has had any experience w/ swapping parts from another car. For example, which koni yellows or tokico 5 ways are compatible, which sway bars, cold air intake? There are lots of things. If no one knows I will make a visit to the acura dealership in the near future with a tape measure in hand and start taking measurements. Im wondering if the sway bars and most of the suspension and possibly exhaust will fit on the old TL from the new? Can anyone shed some light on this topic. Also, anyone ever try to swap the Legend 6spd tranny in, I'm very tempted, might be this summer's project. It CAN be done, its just a matter of how much money and time I wana throw away. thx
Old 04-25-2001, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the Legend suspension might be able to work on the G1 TL. Most of the engine modes as you know will work being that it has the same TYPE I motor as the early G2 Legends. As for the 6-Speed, anything is possible, but it will be very difficuilt. I am from the Legend Forums, and 1 member has tried, but gave up. Another swapped in a TYPE II top end on the TYPE I bottom end, and had the 6-Speed tranny also, but did not install it. A 6-Speed into the 5-Speed might be a lot easier, but even that has problems. I hear from the mechanics that the 5-Speed, and 6-Speed tranny bell housings are of different sizes. Also all the wiring is different, and you need to wire in the electonic reverse lockout, and the hydrolic clutch system. Now sure it may be possible, but no Legend owner has done it yet. For the Legend with the manual available, it is cheaper and more feasable to just wait and locate a manual Legend. For the TL, you might find the custom work, and money worth while since you don't have a manual optoin. It is up to you, but I would just enjoy your auto. By the way, I happen to own a 6-Speed Legend Coupe.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:26 PM

Hmmm.... What did the Type II heads get him, vtec? This whole swap is involved, i do realize that. I'm not sure if i'm optamistic and openminded, or just stupid. Looking at it more detailed, regardless of the size of the tranny, as long as it bolts up to the engine, that is the most important part. The other hard parts will be mounting the clutch and clutch master cylnder, and fabricating the lower shifter mount to hold the shifter in place. The electronic reverse lockout is cake, I can prob just disable it or built a circuit to control it, no prob. there. My biggest concern is that the tranny IS a hydrolic? I thought it was cable just because it was out of a '93. In order to do it right, I might have to wait for a totalled car to come it so I can pull off all of the mounting hardware and linkages, which NONE of the salavage yards kept. When it's all said and done, and if it works, I'm wondering if it'll even be worth it. I think it'll be a pride thing more than anything else at first, just to get it done, and have something no one else does. I have great resouces in terms of machine shops, all I need is a drawing and i can either, 1. machine it myself, or 2. pay someone to do it. The shop is right down the road (on campus). Do you know how much faster the 6spd Legend (your car) accelerates compared to the auto? The TL should be a similar comparision. Do you think it is worth it? And lastly, what are the major problems you see me running into with everything I've explained above? Thx for your knowledge!
Old 04-26-2001, 01:36 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by sTiZZiT:
Hmmm.... What did the Type II heads get him, vtec? This whole swap is involved, i do realize that. I'm not sure if i'm optamistic and openminded, or just stupid. Looking at it more detailed, regardless of the size of the tranny, as long as it bolts up to the engine, that is the most important part. The other hard parts will be mounting the clutch and clutch master cylnder, and fabricating the lower shifter mount to hold the shifter in place. The electronic reverse lockout is cake, I can prob just disable it or built a circuit to control it, no prob. there. My biggest concern is that the tranny IS a hydrolic? I thought it was cable just because it was out of a '93. In order to do it right, I might have to wait for a totalled car to come it so I can pull off all of the mounting hardware and linkages, which NONE of the salavage yards kept. When it's all said and done, and if it works, I'm wondering if it'll even be worth it. I think it'll be a pride thing more than anything else at first, just to get it done, and have something no one else does. I have great resouces in terms of machine shops, all I need is a drawing and i can either, 1. machine it myself, or 2. pay someone to do it. The shop is right down the road (on campus). Do you know how much faster the 6spd Legend (your car) accelerates compared to the auto? The TL should be a similar comparision. Do you think it is worth it? And lastly, what are the major problems you see me running into with everything I've explained above? Thx for your knowledge!

First off, Yes, all the Legend manual cars where hydrolic, and not cable clutch systems.

2nd, as for the guy who put the TYPE II heads on, it only gained him a bit more peak HP. And not what a full TYPE II motoer would have yielded. If you were not familiar, the TYPE II 3.2 Legend engine was basically the same thing, only had a reworked top end, better exhaust manifold, differnet cams, and not sure what else, but it was then rated at 230 HP, with NO VTEC. The 6-Speeds where only available with this TYPE II enigine, so it will still be a bit different then the 200HP on the TL/Legend TYPE I.

You may not believe this, but I happen to own a 95 LS Coupe in auto with the TYPE II motor (my wifes car actually), and the 93 LS Coupe 6-Speed TYPE II for myself. The manual is at least half second faster all around. That is in both 0-60, and 1/4 mile. My own test with a Gtech on both cars, same road and such gives me a consitent .5-.6 second faster time on the 6-Speed. Using magazine "BEST" reported times of both car, the auto gets a 0-60 in 7.2, and 1/4 in 15.6. The 6-Speed best has been a 0-60 in 6.3, and 1/4 in 14.9., with the traction control system "OFF". Now I personally have only managed a consitent 6.7 from my manual, but I have not done the high RPM launch like the magazine reporters would do. I have only done agressive idle launches, so faster times could be had I would think.

Anyway, sounds like you have an interesting project if you doand do it. I hope you are able to do it, then that will give some of the Legend guys an added boost to try and get the swap done on thier cars. I wish you luck. Just for added advise, if you want to ask this question on the Legend Forums at forums.legend.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
you can see what new advise, or knowledge the other members have.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 04-26-2001, 03:12 AM
Safety Car

http://forums.legend.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi