At the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
TL noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the gas station

This is probably a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So when I finish filling up my car and the meter stops, I usually press down on the trigger thing on the pump one more time and more gas comes out for a little while. I'm assuming this is the same gas, maybe already pumped into the tube and it's being released.

I mean I don't know what else it could be because it's the same tube but I want to make sure that I'm putting in quality stuff in my car.

Rotten Robbie ftw
Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i'm not a hundred percent sure ... but i would assume that it is the same gas ... im abou 95 percent sure
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to the forum, there are no stupid questions, just ones that have been asked 1000 times or are in the owners manual
here is the owner manual free download, click year then model
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

To answer your question STOP when the nozzle auto stops the 1st time. That allows room in the tank for fuel expansion with heat from the day and from the exhaust pipes next to the tank itself.
Topping Off is the term for what you are doing.
Its not getting you any free gas, the last customer left a few pennies worth in the hose, and you leave a few...it all evens out. The meter runs when the nozzle is open.

Since ALL the octanes of gas go thru the same hose- the tiny bit we are talking about is not to enough the effect the cars running.
You MUST run 91 octane or higher-- if 93 is what they sell in your area thats what you use.
Use of 87-89 octane will lower your actual gas mileage, so the price diff is not relative.
You should also be running Tier 1 brands of gas- chevron shell texaco BP 76 are all part of that ~higher quality level~ gas, which again, the TL being a performance hi-compression engine - it has certain needs, just like any hi maitenance girl, she wants to eat lobster not mickyDs!!!!
If you insist on running robbies- even though it comes from a name brand refinery- they are not adding the secret sauce that goes in the tier 1 stuff they also sell. That final stuff gets added right as its getting put in to the tanker truck.
So if you run it, also run an additive like techroline, or a cleaner like Seafoam to keep the pistons and valves clean- that makes a big diff in mileage and smooth running too

Welcome to the forum- there is so much info here - just read down the main thread list for 2nd generation, and check out the DIY section for al sorts of trick mods for the car from free, to OMG thats nice!!! but out of my realm of cash flow!~
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

make sure to check the link at top of pages here, OFF TOPIC, then scroll down to `acurazine meets`
There is a huge group of ziners in the south bay who either meet somewhere there, or caravan together to another meet. We all like to show off our rides from stock to dropped to superchargeed- it doesnt matter- its a common bond of owning an acura.
Most of them are happy to help you with any problems or mod installs
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RE90
This is probably a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So when I finish filling up my car and the meter stops, I usually press down on the trigger thing on the pump one more time and more gas comes out for a little while. I'm assuming this is the same gas, maybe already pumped into the tube and it's being released.

I mean I don't know what else it could be because it's the same tube but I want to make sure that I'm putting in quality stuff in my car.

Rotten Robbie ftw

It's called "topping off" and it can cause damage to your fuel guage, according to my mechanic. No value to you.

As for type of gas, running lower octane will NOT lower your MPG, but i will make your engine knock and add to the wear and tear. Higher octane is better.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaTL6
It's called "topping off" and it can cause damage to your fuel guage, according to my mechanic. No value to you.

As for type of gas, running lower octane will NOT lower your MPG, but i will make your engine knock and add to the wear and tear. Higher octane is better.
It won't damage your fuel gauge. More importantly, it can and most likely will damage the evaporative emissions equipment in the car. When you overfill your gas tank, fuel will travel through hoses meant for vapors, not liquid. It will contaminate the fuel vapor canister. Not good for any car, not just Acuras.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Team Owner

yep, the ol got fuel into the charcoal cannister from overfilling and expansion and ruined it- thats a fun one
Wont hurt the guage but it can get stuck
Lower octane can cause detonation - premature firing and burning of gasses,less efficent engine, thats going to hurt the fuel mileage and there are plenty of ziner test showing less fuel mileage on lower octane when they tried to save a few cents
If you cant afford the right gas sell the TL because 7 bucks a gallon is an election day away- count on it
It says MINIMUM 91 octane on the gas tank door for a reason dont you think?
not- run whatever you want, its cool
maybe its the 11 to 1 compression- ya ?!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Oh please, ive been doing it for over 270,000 miles now. I always round up the the neares dollar. (even when gas was slightly over a dollar and would get you close to a gallon) hell ive squeezed in 2 gallons multiple times after the pump has shut off.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh please, ive been doing it for over 270,000 miles now. I always round up the the neares dollar. (even when gas was slightly over a dollar and would get you close to a gallon) hell ive squeezed in 2 gallons multiple times after the pump has shut off.
I call on this... no way you can get 2 gallons into that tank after the nozzle has auto shut-off the first time.

To the OP, I just fill up and when it shuts-off, I lift the hose leaving the nozzle still in my tank. This will cause the remaining fluid in the hose to come out and also eliminates any dripping of gas in the hose spilling on my paint.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by indoMFP
I call on this... no way you can get 2 gallons into that tank after the nozzle has auto shut-off the first time.

To the OP, I just fill up and when it shuts-off, I lift the hose leaving the nozzle still in my tank. This will cause the remaining fluid in the hose to come out and also eliminates any dripping of gas in the hose spilling on my paint.
How much would you like to bet. Wanna come try it. I have an open invitation if you want. I can get over a gallon when most pumps shut off, pull the nozzle out 1/2 way and fill slow and you can. Also Not every pump shut off is the same.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Kris, I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that you can pump 2 gallons into the tank(when already full). Gas needs air, so I am guessing you pulled the nozzle out a bit and continued to pump, but at most half a gallon, but 2 gallons? Maybe next time you go to the filling station, have your girl video tape it and post it.

I am not going to try it as with my luck it will just spray all over. How do you really know that it went in and did not just come out of the overfill hole???

Just call me a Doubting Thomas.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

because the overfill hole drips on your feet at the nozzle. you would know
While it is possible to get way more in after shutoff,
we are talking about the average user- someone using rotten robbie gas no less,
and not much of a car person or owner book reading type of soul...
so lets have them use the extra careful approach. ok?
Impossible and practicle are not related items!
The shutoff senses rising back pressure in the line as the tank fills, and kicks off at a set limit
You can trick it by slowing the flow as it gets full, wait a minute till the gas stops sloshing around in the tank, and squeeze in some more, I have done it too on occassion when need dictates and immediate long drive follows

For fsttyms1, who can/does drive hundreds of miles in 1 day, getting it full full can help him avoid an embarressing ~out of fuel incident~ in some unknown badlands stretch of road

For the average person- just fill it to the auto shutoff- refill when the gas warning light comes on at 3 gallons remaining and you wont have anything to worry about.

At $4.40 a gallon, I dont want to give any away!, but some states dont have pumps where you shut pump off with a flip handle, allowing you to free flow the hose contents, So you paid for a tiny bit left in the hose, but you also got the tiny bit from the last customer.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can put an extra 1/2 to a full gal of gas in once the first click happens.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Its not getting you any free gas, the last customer left a few pennies worth in the hose, and you leave a few...it all evens out. The meter runs when the nozzle is open.
Take the few pennies worth of gas from previous customer, and make sure not to leave any behind. That's how I ususually pump gas.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You've been lucky, I guess. I just don't see overfilling your tank and risking damage to expensive emissions equipment being worth the extra gallon (if that) of gas. You haven't had the misfortune, but other people have.

To the OP, in the end, you will do what you want but I would just fill the tank until the auto shut-off kicks in. If you want to try to squeeze an extra amount in, you can do what I do. When the tank is almost full but still pumping, set the trigger lock to the lowest setting possible. The pump handle shuts off when it senses the fuel coming back up the fill pipe. If the flow is reduced, the "splash back" will be reduced, allowing the tank to get a little more fuel before the auto shut-off kicks in.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Racer

yeah i filled up today.....it clicked....and then i was able to pump 1 more gallon into the tank
Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

just dont park in the sun on a hot day after you do a max fill top off- thats the main point
Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

just dont park in the sun on a hot day after you do a max fill top off- thats the main point
You should have told me this earlier, dang my car's on fire....
Old 05-23-2008, 04:30 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
I've always wondered why I get a notch or 2 missing when i get into my 120 degree car parked in the parking lot.
dang, so I wasted like a gallon or 2 just parking in the hot sun. just another reason to park in the shade.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
ChicagoNick

Gas Pumping Tips for getting the most out of your $

a friend of mine sent me this site about getting the best bang for your buck at the gas pumps...
I don't know if it's BS or not. I found it to be an interesting read.
what do you guys/gals think?

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Old 05-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
The shutoff senses rising back pressure in the line as the tank fills, and kicks off at a set limit
You can trick it by slowing the flow as it gets full, wait a minute till the gas stops sloshing around in the tank, and squeeze in some more, I have done it too on occassion when need dictates and immediate long drive follows
^^^
This is not entirely accurate....

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

By pulling the pump handle out slightly, you will clear the blockage (essentially getting the nozzle out of the rising gas) and you will be able to pump more gas. The pump has no way of knowing how much gas is in the tank, it can only tell when the filler pipe to the tank is full.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChicagoNick
a friend of mine sent me this site about getting the best bang for your buck at the gas pumps...
I don't know if it's BS or not. I found it to be an interesting read.
what do you guys/gals think?

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Snopes.com says those tips don't work.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM
hates the winter

I was at the gas station today and wanted to kill someone. The prices go up like 2x a day now and it's really frustrating.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 AM
TL noob

alright so for now i won't top off...and i will be sure to use a cleaner like seafoam as 01tl4tl suggested.

i'll def get involved in the tl community but i dont think soon. i'm off to uc davis in the fall and freshman arent allowed to have cars. so ive got a year to save up for mods and a year to do my research too i guess hehe

thanks for the awesome response
Old 05-24-2008, 03:56 AM
3.2 VTEC

amm, there is always gas in the hose...you can't empty the hose, because the nozzle stops at the end of the hose, like a tap on a sink...And it's obviously the same gas since theres 100s more gallons in the pump waiting to be extracted.

i've found that i can top off about 3 more gallons in my car after the pump stops by itself...the reason is that the hose is not all that thick and when it gets close it doesn't have time to settle down and the pump cuts out.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

For fsttyms1, who can/does drive hundreds of miles in 1 day, getting it full full can help him avoid an embarressing ~out of fuel incident~ in some unknown badlands stretch of road
That and for the mere fact that sometimes it means i wont have to stop somewhere for gas i dont want or feel like pumping and can get home and go the station i always go to tht has a hot chick working behind the counter :boing:
Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to burp the car to get that last bit of space in the tank full of fuel. That and take out the jack to raise the driver's side. Just a few ways to extend the driving range; works well for those long drives 500+ miles in a day. Nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere needing to find a station for fuel.
Miner
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by black label
^^^
This is not entirely accurate....

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

By pulling the pump handle out slightly, you will clear the blockage (essentially getting the nozzle out of the rising gas) and you will be able to pump more gas. The pump has no way of knowing how much gas is in the tank, it can only tell when the filler pipe to the tank is full.

Either you work in the gas industry or you spend waaaaay too much time on howstuffworks.com.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
3.2 VTEC

^^ he cud just know how shit works....and not make stupid assumptions like a lot of ppl on here.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TX-Miner
Don't forget to burp the car to get that last bit of space in the tank full of fuel. That and take out the jack to raise the driver's side. Just a few ways to extend the driving range; works well for those long drives 500+ miles in a day. Nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere needing to find a station for fuel.
Miner
Do explain how to burp the car...
Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
Do explain how to burp the car...
Put the filler over your shoulder and pat gently on the back.

The filler pipe usually isn't at the absolute high point of the tank, to leave space for expansion / vapors. Rocking the car up and down can get the "bubble" a little bit smaller, creating a little bit more capacity. It was a lot easier to do on older American cars that were sprung much more softly.

Filling it very slowly until the fuel spills out the filler while burping with the car facing downhill at an angle will get the tank and filler as full as possible. But spilling gas isn't a good thing.

Miner
Old 05-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Does anyone else get a teary eye or just start crying when filling up gas.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dnd2984
I love buying gas. I always enjoy getting a fill up.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by rob-2
I love buying gas. I always enjoy getting a fill up.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Pro

My car was all messed up after I topped off a bit too much one summer day. Pumped about .5-1 gallon after the auto shut off. Car died a block from the gas station. Had to get towed to the dealer. That was embrassing. Didn't even have plates yet. I have never topped off since. I have the service write up. Can someone assist in posting it?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Pro

Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 AM
Pro

Never mind. Figured it out.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Bit of a tear here..just paid $5.23 a (US) gallon for 91 this morning.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vincethe1
I really too.

I guess I'll stop topping up. Last night I made a stop and bought gas for $4.07, and put an extra .8 gal in the tank.

Quick Reply: At the gas station