Gas Mileage on TL- Type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Gas Mileage on TL- Type S

I have 5K miles on my new TL-S. I took a 600 mile trip and with 4 adults,luggage etc. I got 28.7mpg with the AC on. There was a lot of passing on 2 lane roads. There was some stop and go passing through small towns etc. The most amazing thing was I was burning 87 Octane. I know the book says burn premium, but it runs great on 87 Octane. One of the premiere car magazine writers said the only reason most car manufactures say use premium is so they can tout more horsepower rating. He said the computers all reset when they sense a lower octane fuel and most cars will run fine and any loss in hp. won't even be noticed. Why throw away your money and spend 20 cents or more a gallon for premium?
Old 05-28-2001, 02:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hm I've been reading all these posts about the great gas mileage people have been getting but I have yet to see a figure above about 17 mpg. My car has just under 1600 miles on it and none, or very little, of that is highway mileage. Anyone else drive exclusively around town? I wonder if 17 is normal for the kind of driving I've been doing so far.

------------------
2002 Type-S Dark Emerald Pearl Non-Nav
Old 05-28-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro

Originally posted by wv5b:
I have 5K miles on my new TL-S. I took a 600 mile trip and with 4 adults,luggage etc. I got 28.7mpg with the AC on. There was a lot of passing on 2 lane roads. There was some stop and go passing through small towns etc. The most amazing thing was I was burning 87 Octane. I know the book says burn premium, but it runs great on 87 Octane. One of the premiere car magazine writers said the only reason most car manufactures say use premium is so they can tout more horsepower rating. He said the computers all reset when they sense a lower octane fuel and most cars will run fine and any loss in hp. won't even be noticed. Why throw away your money and spend 20 cents or more a gallon for premium?

Dude, DO NOT use 87 on a TL Type S. the type S has a higher compression ratio and NEEDS higher octane gas to run well. A high compression engine + low octane gas = knock. Once the car's computer senses knock it pulls back the timing to keep the engine from detonating, less timing = a slower car. If you don't care for a slower car, why not just get a regular tl?

I know it's your car and you can do with it what you like, but saving a couple of dollars on gas while spending tens of thousands on a high tech, high performance automoble is outright senseless. As for the computer resetting once you use higer octane gas, I'm not sure about Acuras, but in many cars it takes about 400 miles for the computer to get back to where it should be.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 05-28-2001, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Turboara:

Dude, DO NOT use 87 on a TL Type S. the type S has a higher compression ratio and NEEDS higher octane gas to run well. A high compression engine + low octane gas = knock. Once the car's computer senses knock it pulls back the timing to keep the engine from detonating, less timing = a slower car. If you don't care for a slower car, why not just get a regular tl?
I tend to agree. I'm one of those "by the manual" kind of guys. i.e. unless you can convince me that you have more insight than the engineers that approved the manual, I'm going to follow the manual's recommendation. It's Premium gas for me.