G35 is very overpriced and okay at best.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 is very overpriced and okay at best.

Today I was out looking at Honda's for my Girlfriend, she wants a Honda Civic EX with a CD-Player. Anyhow, with my spare time I some how wandered over to my local Infiniti dealer. After cruising the lot for a bit a salesman approached me and started asking me questions and then through some discussion realized I drove a 01 CL-S. He then proceeded to tell me how much faster it was and how superior it was to the Acura CL-S, so I of course called him on it. We went out on a test drive and all I can say is that the car is okay. You'd figure with 260 pounds of torque, the thing would pull much harder than the CL-S, but it didn't. You'd think that with its rear wheel drive configuration that it would pull harder, it does not. The interior is subpar, and the "performance" is on par with the CL-S at best. After looking up some numbers I see that it pulls about 14.61 in the 1/4's and 6.3 in the 0-60 slot. Almost exactly the same as the CL-S. Question is, where is all this power going Nissan, I mean Infiniti? I would really like to know.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The power is going to the oven that Nissan has that cooks the BULLSH!T they feeds people.....
Old 07-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Isn't CL-S lighter than G35 Sedan?

And I believe G35 has less torque steer since it's RWD. Also, I don't know if any mag will test this, I think these 2 cars (and TL-S) should perfom relatively the same except for may be 60-80mph or 70-90mph tests. The G35 may be better in passing speed accelerations.

Nissan get the speed by raw power while TL/CL get their speed for excellent gear ratios. Only if either one of them can combine the 2.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Xtrema
Isn't CL-S lighter than G35 Sedan?

And I believe G35 has less torque steer since it's RWD. Also, I don't know if any mag will test this, I think these 2 cars (and TL-S) should perfom relatively the same except for may be 60-80mph or 70-90mph tests. The G35 may be better in passing speed accelerations.

Nissan get the speed by raw power while TL/CL get their speed for excellent gear ratios. Only if either one of them can combine the 2.
The G35 is about 175 pounds lighter than a CL-S. Also, since the G35 is RWD it would have zero torque steer. Interestingly enough, the G35 actually has shorter overall gearing than the CL-S/TL-S.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RAdams

The G35 is about 175 pounds lighter than a CL-S. Also, since the G35 is RWD it would have zero torque steer.
You beat me to it.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Banned

The G35 outperforms the bmw 330i in almost all performance categories but cost aprox. 8k less.

It is not a secret that the G35 is the best bang for the buck.

Please do not discredit infiniti for producing a truly awesome car.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:48 AM
DHB
Instructor

Originally posted by truthoffacts
The G35 outperforms the bmw 330i in almost all performance categories but cost aprox. 8k less.

That is a very arguable point and is completely dependent on what the buyer wants his "bang" to be. If you are talking about more of a true sports sedan then yes the G35 is better in that role. If you are talking about a great touring sedan that will provide very near sports sedan performance with more luxury and features then the TLS wins (IMHO).
Old 07-09-2002, 01:20 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DHB

That is a very arguable point and is completely dependent on what the buyer wants his "bang" to be. If you are talking about more of a true sports sedan then yes the G35 is better in that role. If you are talking about a great touring sedan that will provide very near sports sedan performance with more luxury and features then the TLS wins (IMHO).
They don't really compete with each other. If you want something that has great handling and speed, get the G35. It is a true sports sedan based on a sports car platform. The TLS has a nicer interior yet sacrifices handling because of its midsize sedan platform.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:44 AM
STi
Racer

i would definately disagree
yes, the numbers show that the g35 is very fast, but in reality, you will feel more confident winding out the 330 any day
you may not believe me, because you're probably a die-hard nissan guy, but shell out some cash and buy both, then tell us which one you like better

i agree with DHB, the TL-S and G35 excel in different areas, the acura definately has better quality and the exterior/interior would look good for the years to come while the g35 will likely look old in a few years, but it's no question that the car performs better in the corners, but with all the advantages (weight,torque,RWD,tires) it manages to be slower than the TL-S in the 0-100mph acceleration in the July R&T, what does this show? the TL may have a more efficient drivetrain, because at first, the TL would spin its tires for a long time before the cheap tires bite, at that time, the G35 would've pulled on it, but the TL pulls up and past the G35 shows that the honda's 260hp claim is closer to fact, or that they have very efficient drivetrain
Old 07-09-2002, 06:55 AM
Drifting

Saying that the G35 is overpriced is the silliest comment I've heard in months.

You may or may not like the styling or interior, that's a question of personal taste.

But it has unquestionably raised the bar for the likes of BMW, Lexus, et al to offer more car for less money in a RWD vehicle.

Competition is a good thing for car enthusiasts - we can only be served well by it.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:02 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by hemants
Saying that the G35 is overpriced is the silliest comment I've heard in months.

You may or may not like the styling or interior, that's a question of personal taste.

But it has unquestionably raised the bar for the likes of BMW, Lexus, et al to offer more car for less money in a RWD vehicle.

Competition is a good thing for car enthusiasts - we can only be served well by it.
Word to the mother!
Old 07-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by STi

i would definately disagree
yes, the numbers show that the g35 is very fast, but in reality, you will feel more confident winding out the 330 any day
you may not believe me, because you're probably a die-hard nissan guy, but shell out some cash and buy both, then tell us which one you like better.....
totally agree with that... i test drove the g35 twice already, with two different friends... and it feels very nice... but it does not feel better than the bimmer 3 series... not as stable or low down... altough if it was riding in a bmw shell, most people would believe its a bmw...
Old 07-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Okay, I actually considered the cars in question here.. but decided to get the G35. I'll explain. Eventhough I LOVE the TL-s, it's FWD platform, low headroom, OVERLY eager salesreps at all 4 dealerships I visited, and risky tranny scared me away. I still LOVE the looks, and was 90% sold on getting one. I think I could've gotten a brand new one in the high $20s.. so that was nice.. but that last decision maker was the fact that this body style has been around for quite a while, and the 04 model will make my brand new TLs look outdated.. no thanks (not poking at ya, just facing the facts).

My wife drives a Infiniti QX4 (the SUV) and WE love it! The service and courteous staff at the dealership is a good reason to deal with Nissan/Infiniti. We picked the Q over the Pathfinder, cause it was only $20 more a month.. and I loved the Xenons

Being a two Infiniti family is very nice, both very nice cars, both we're very proud of. (I came from a Corvette before the G, and I don't miss it at all.. well maybe a little bit.. miss those high torque passes)

For the BMW, I was ALMOST considering buying one, despite it's high price, it feels like you are getting what you pay for.. BUT, NOT for the additional $7k I would've paid, it JUST DIDN'T SEEM WORTH IT to get the lowest/smallest/cheapest beamer when there is the Acura and now Infiniti to contend with.. I would feel very pretentious driving a BMW...I'll wait and get a 5 series one day, and be a proud owner knowing I could afford the bigger model and not settled for the smaller. If I can afford it I deserve it right?

As for the speed, I can attest, the G ran the 1/4 at 15.2 WITH ME DRIVING and that's not saying much. I ran a .613 R/T and finished at 92mph. I have to consider the temp and humidity that day, very hot and VERY humid.. and we drove the car there about 60 miles.. so the engine was still hot.. I heard that a CLs ran a 14.9 (not sure of his details, whether he had cooled off, running better tires etc, things you have to consider)... so VERY close in comparison not worth an arguement.

So beans for beans, it's up to you.. just wish everyone would quit downing each other and enjoy the fact that you can afford such a nice car no matter what brand it is...

Kev
Old 07-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kevcarart.com

My wife drives a Infiniti QX4 (the SUV) and WE love it! The service and courteous staff at the dealership is a good reason to deal with Nissan/Infiniti. We picked the Q over the Pathfinder, cause it was only $20 more a month.. and I loved the Xenons

Wise decision, before we bought our Land Cruiser, we owned two Pathfinders ('95 SE & '98 LE). Based on my experience, the Nissan dealers I have dealt with could take some lessons from the Toyota dealership where my Land Cruiser was bought and is serviced.

So beans for beans, it's up to you.. just wish everyone would quit downing each other and enjoy the fact that you can afford such a nice car no matter what brand it is...
Amen to that.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

The G35 is TOO SMALL. I raced one a couple day ago going to work. Let me tell you thins the G35 owner was not happy when I dusted his weak ride. Me I was laughing all the way to work. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 07-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Advanced

congratulations.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Snapple
The G35 is TOO SMALL. I raced one a couple day ago going to work. Let me tell you thins the G35 owner was not happy when I dusted his weak ride. Me I was laughing all the way to work. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
It is ridiculous how much you guys hate the G35.

That you have to refute to lies to bigate the G35.

Hey snapple before call the G35 small, i hope you know the G35's interior is larger than the tls in virtually every single category.

Acura tls
Front Head Room: 38.2 in.
Front Hip Room: 53.3 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.2 in.
Rear Head Room: 36.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.7 in.
Rear Hip Room: 53.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 in.
Rear Leg Room: 35 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.3 cu. ft.

Infiniti G35
Front Head Room: 40.1 in.
Front Hip Room: 54.3 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.4 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 56.2 in.
Rear Hip Room: 53 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.9 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.5 cu. ft.

Just to let you know the G35 is a sedan not an SUV.

Oh yeah what does this mean "Let me tell you thins the G35 owner ". :wow:
Old 07-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Banned

Same thing that the following means....

????

bigate? And what does "refute to lies" mean?

Just keeping you honest.

Are you sure you're not really Bigpimpin aka Biglimpd1ck?
Old 07-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by goaub

????

Just keeping you honest.

Why so much personnal attacks, lets keep to the facts.

Someone with a tls called the G35 small. I have given facts to prove him wrong.

Usually when someone can not win an arguement they change the subject or divert attention with attacks.

Please look at the title of this thread. Keep to the subject. Just in case you haven't noticed there is an "off-topics" category here in acura-tl.com
Old 07-09-2002, 05:44 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by goaub

????

Just keeping you honest.

It might be littlelimping! If not, no offense!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ferizzo

It might be littlelimping! If not, no offense!
Eh

if i am a little limp what are you guy. little dog
Old 07-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is ridiculous how much you guys hate the G35.

Hey snapple before call the G35 small, i hope you know the G35's interior is larger than the tls in virtually every single category.

Acura tls
Front Head Room: 38.2 in.
Front Hip Room: 53.3 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.2 in.
Rear Head Room: 36.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.7 in.
Rear Hip Room: 53.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 in.
Rear Leg Room: 35 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.3 cu. ft.

Infiniti G35
Front Head Room: 40.1 in.
Front Hip Room: 54.3 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.4 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 56.2 in.
Rear Hip Room: 53 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.9 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 14.5 cu. ft.

Just to let you know the G35 is a sedan not an SUV.

It is obvioyus that SOME G35 people come here because they feel insecure about their rides. Bottom line is if you have nothing to contribute but bashing, you are insecure and experiencing what we call TLS envy.