Funny odor coming from heating/air vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 10:39 PM

Unhappy Funny odor coming from heating/air vents

What's up guys. I've got this musty/mildewy smell coming from my A/C-heating vents every time I turn my car on for about 30 seconds then it goes away. Any clue on how I can get rid of it or what is causing it?? Have any of you ever experienced this problem?? Any answers would be helpful, thanks.

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It smells like that usually when you turn off your AC after using it for a while. It's very common with Honda/Acura. Known solution... bare with it till it goes away. Seriously, there isn't much you can do about it.

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo 225/40/18
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-20-2000, 11:39 PM
HU
Instructor

I think you can get it cleaned at the dealer. The odor is from you a/c condensation. I had an Integra before and it was cleaned once for free. Not too sure if that is still applicable.

I believe if you turn off the a/c a couple of minutes before you reach your destination, it could reduce the odor build up.
Old 12-21-2000, 12:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Your evap drain probably got clogged so you have gunk growing in it. Have to run a cleaning solution like simple green or some other cleaner maybe with a little bleach to kill the growth inside your evaporator and unclog the drain line. Happens to other cars besides hondas also!
Old 12-21-2000, 12:22 PM

Question

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by valuetl:
Your evap drain probably got clogged so you have gunk growing in it. Have to run a cleaning solution like simple green or some other cleaner maybe with a little bleach to kill the growth inside your evaporator and unclog the drain line. Happens to other cars besides hondas also! </font>

Yo value, How do I run the cleaning solution??

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-21-2000, 12:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used to happen on my old Accord. I would flush the core with clorox and clean water then put some soap in it. That would keep the smell away for awhile. Make sure you use a brand of soap (dishwashing liquid) that you like the smell!
BTW - My drain wasn't clogged but the slime would build up in it. Guess due to a bad design.

[This message has been edited by Lawaia (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Remove your glove box and access the filter. Have to cut the cross brace and pull out the filter. This will give you access into the evap core assy. Use a flashlight to look inside for any nasty growth inside. Use a spray bottle with cleaner to clean it out and flush out the gunk, also check the drain onto the driveway and make sure it flows water freely.
Old 12-21-2000, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats strange to me for the TL to have this problem.I thought it was mostly for cars that don't have the A/C filter.
I know the smell all to well it smells like piss. I had this in my 90 Accord & in my 94 Accord.Since I run the A/C most of the time except when its real cold do to allergies. I have not had this problem with my TL yet. I have run the A/C all of last spring this summer & fall. The question is do you have the yellow(REC)pushed on? I find that I don't use the (REC)button on the TL like I did in the Accords.I use the auto climate control more then manual mode.The TL A/C works much better so the only time I push the (REC) button is if its a strong order or smoke. The Accord I would turn off the (REC) about 10 min before I turned off the car & this smell was not there the next time I turned it on check your yellow (REC) button to see if its on.

------------------
Old 12-21-2000, 05:42 PM
Acuras Only in

I always turn my AC off BUT leave the fan on right before I reach my destination. I haven't noticed any bad smell so far ...
Old 12-21-2000, 06:46 PM
Instructor

My car had that same smell, kinda like a mildew smell. I took it to the dealer and they sprayed some lysol into the fresh air
intake located underneath the grill by the wipers. Just turn your temp to low 60's and turn on the fan, then just spray it directly into the air intake located under the passenger side wiper. The dealer said that mildew tends to grow in the ducts since our
climate control is constantly turning on and off the AC, ever since then the smell is gone. Take your cars to the dealer, they should do it free for you. Goodluck.
Old 12-21-2000, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shooter:
I always turn my AC off BUT leave the fan on right before I reach my destination. I haven't noticed any bad smell so far ...</font>
...that's exactly what you need to do, run the vents with no A/C (vent only) for a couple minutes before you turn the car off. I had a little of that smell but not anymore!

Old 12-21-2000, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Go to a auto supply store..they sell something that cleans out all the mildew and condensation smells from the vents.. explain to them the problem, they will direct you to the item..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-22-2000, 04:07 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the responses guys!! Hopefully, the smell will be gone soon.

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Race Director

I'm getting this smell too. Even after 50,000 miles. I'm using the Lysol in the vents and that takes care of it for the most part but when I park in the garage and take a minute to get out of the car, the smell in the air in the garage stinks. Is there someplace else I need to spray besides in the interior vents and the fresh air vent?
Old 03-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ken and everyone else, this is a common problem on Hondas/Acuras, It is a bacteria that grows on the condensation when you have the a/c on. To kill the bacteria do the following:
1. when you are approaching your destination (5 miles) turn you heat up ALL THE WAY.
2. alternate thru the different vents for a minute each defrost, leg area ect.
3. Make sure the AC is not on.

What this does is the heat kills the bacteria. It also does not promote condensation when your car reached its destination. the AC unit does not condense hence no food for poor bacteria, besides the bacteria would have been fried by now.

Try it and let me know..
Old 03-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 2001TL4KCdude
Ken and everyone else, this is a common problem on Hondas/Acuras, It is a bacteria that grows on the condensation when you have the a/c on. To kill the bacteria do the following:
1. when you are approaching your destination (5 miles) turn you heat up ALL THE WAY.

What this does is the heat kills the bacteria. It also does not promote condensation when your car reached its destination. the AC unit does not condense hence no food for poor bacteria, besides the bacteria would have been fried by now.

Try it and let me know..
Works! Thanks.

And the Lysol smell is an added "temporary" plus. Better than that awful odor....
Old 03-23-2002, 08:43 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Try it and let me know..
are you supposed to do this everytime before you reach your destination???
Old 03-24-2002, 04:16 AM
Racer

I also use the highest heat setting once in a while. It does help with the musty odor.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:18 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by ElegantTL-S

So far I haven't had to do this everytime. Time will tell.

But if I end up having to do this everytime, that would be fine because the smell/odor was awful and embarassing.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:19 PM
On the way!

Try it and let me know..
This heat is not enough to kill bacteria or mildew. Even if it were, the A/C evaporator is in a totally different core than your heater core. When you have the temp set to hot, the A/C evaporator is closed off, and air goes through the heater core. It is never exposed to the hot air that you are being exposed to.

If you didn't adjust the temp back to 70 something before shutting off the car, the vanes will still be set to channel air through the heater core when you start up next time. That's why you don't smell the mildew (mildew doesn't grow in the heater core).

Running your car with the temp set to 90 will do nothing more than get you hot. It doesn't kill or clean anything.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Instructor

solution

I had the same problem, took it to the dealer, and they sprayed lysol into the air intake under the passenger wiper, while turning the temp all the way down and fan to max. should cure the problem
Old 03-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ElegantTL-S

I only had to do this 4 times a year.