Funky acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funky acceleration

...or maybe I just got caught off guard.

I was heading up the road back home when I got cut off by an old beater. The guy was probably going about 65 mph while I was going 50. Anyhow, I floored the accelerator and...nothing.

Well not really nothing, just not much acceleration at all. I had just enough time to look down at the tachometer and wonder, "What the-" when the car flew forward. I literally fell back into my seat and started screaming like Will Smith in MIB, you know, the tunnel scene. I nearly rear-ended the beater in just a couple seconds and had to swerve out of the lane to miss him .

Anyhow, my car's never done that before. When I did glance at the tach, I was just about to redline when the car lurched forward. As for which gear I was in, I wasn't in SS so I assume I was in 4th. Any ideas what happened? Time for a tranny checkup?
Old 05-26-2003, 10:09 AM
On the way!

Did you notice if the car revved without going anywhere? And where you in or about to go in 3rd gear?

If so - yeah - it's time for a tranny checkup/replacement. How many miles on the car and what year/model is it?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I've noticed that sometimes when I step on the gas, the car doesn't downshift right away ... It will hesitate, accelerating very slowly and then as I'm pressing a little more and more on the gas, suddenly it will decide to drop a gear and you'll feel a sudden rush as the car enters vtec. Unless you were literally waiting 20 seconds for the car to start going, I wouldn't worry about it.

Most likely you started to push on the gas and kept pushing a little more and more since the car didn't go as fast as you wanted ... when you hit the point where the tranny decided to downshift, you were surprised because you probably went from somewhere in the non-vtec range to vtec-range which makes the car "feel" fast and loud ...

Next time if you want the sudden rush right away, just stomp the gas and the car should downshift right away. That or use SS ...

If you didn't press harder on the gas at all when you were doing this, then maybe there's another problem ... But you may have done it unconsiously because you wanted to speed up, and not even realize it ... I've done it before
Old 05-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Funky acceleration

Originally posted by fortunate
...or maybe I just got caught off guard.

I was heading up the road back home when I got cut off by an old beater. The guy was probably going about 65 mph while I was going 50. Anyhow, I floored the accelerator and...nothing.

Well not really nothing, just not much acceleration at all. I had just enough time to look down at the tachometer and wonder, "What the-" when the car flew forward. I literally fell back into my seat and started screaming like Will Smith in MIB, you know, the tunnel scene. I nearly rear-ended the beater in just a couple seconds and had to swerve out of the lane to miss him .

Anyhow, my car's never done that before. When I did glance at the tach, I was just about to redline when the car lurched forward. As for which gear I was in, I wasn't in SS so I assume I was in 4th. Any ideas what happened? Time for a tranny checkup?
Yup .. absolutely time for a tranny check -- that's a common symptom .. tranny stays in the top gear .. then all of a suddent decides to downshift to 3rd and you're caught offguard... classic.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Drifting

it happens to me all the time...i think our autos just take allittle time to dowenshift...happens in my sister accord too...altho its a slightly differnt trans...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Re: Funky acceleration

Originally posted by fortunate
I had just enough time to look down at the tachometer and wonder, "What the-" when the car flew forward. I literally fell back into my seat and started screaming like Will Smith in MIB, you know, the tunnel scene. I nearly rear-ended the beater in just a couple seconds and had to swerve out of the lane to miss him .
come on, they arent that fast. Above 40, my tl-s isnt that much faster than the A4 2.8 sport it replaced. Actually, the audi really felt like it got to 130 a lot faster, and was also a hell of a lot more stable at those high speeds.