Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Smokin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank

So, the fuel tank in my TL-S 03 says it is 17.1 Gallons.

I have been driving it and only getting about 288 miles out of it, city driving, and thinking this was quite low considering I am suppose to be getting 324. I wasn't racing it or revving it or anything, so I was confused why I was getting such shitty mileage.

THEN, I realized I was only filling it up to about 15 gallons thinking it was my old prelude...duh. So, yesterday I let it run down to empty and let that sucker fill up as much as possible and it started to overflow at 15 gallons? It wouldn't let me pump anymore into it.???? what the heck could be the reason for me not being able to fill up the tank to at least 16.5? I know that maybe the reason could be that i leave my car running when I fill it, so i am going to try to turn it off next time to see if that makes any difference, but that wouldn't seem logical as the car running would be USING gas if anything, leaving more room.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the total capacity is 17. something
Useable fuel is approx 16.7 based on the most I ever put in to fill it back up and the needle was below E.
The low fuel light comes on at ~3 gallons remaining in tank- that gives you 50 miles to find a gas station.
In town mileage averages 19, freeway 29-31 combined driving 24
Maybe its time to do a seafoam treatment and change the spark plugs to NGK Iridium IX if you have over 60k miles.

Unless you are in fear of the car not starting again- do not run the engine at the gas pump!
Didnt you see all the warning signs??- no cell phones- no smoking- turn off engine-
DO- touch bare metal of pump with your hand before touching the nozzle......
Thats all to protect you from blowing up yourself and the station~

The gas pump shutoff clicks at a point that leaves room in the tank for expansion of fuel with heat- like from the exhaust pipe that runs next to it.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The tank is 17 gallons. The low fuel light typically comes on with 3 gallons left.

Oh and 288 isnt bad for all city.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Smokin

Thanks for the info...Do you mind explaining what "seafoam" is and how to do it to a newbie? Secondly, where do you get the spark plugs you speak of? How much will all of it cost....

As far as leaving the car running at the gas station, I have been doing it for years. My brother one day said to me, "it's not a big deal, they do it during NASCAR and other racing events and never had a problem." It seemed to make sense to me, so since then I have been doing it for years and never had a problem with my old cars nor this one. Smoking is obviously dumb, but what is the other dangers? The car running doesn't spark and if it did it would be under the hood.? I think that this leaving your car running at the pump is the idea of being EXTRA safe, not so much that it is a real danger....
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by willtolive
Thanks for the info...Do you mind explaining what "seafoam" is and how to do it to a newbie? Secondly, where do you get the spark plugs you speak of? How much will all of it cost....

As far as leaving the car running at the gas station, I have been doing it for years. My brother one day said to me, "it's not a big deal, they do it during NASCAR and other racing events and never had a problem." It seemed to make sense to me, so since then I have been doing it for years and never had a problem with my old cars nor this one. Smoking is obviously dumb, but what is the other dangers? The car running doesn't spark and if it did it would be under the hood.? I think that this leaving your car running at the pump is the idea of being EXTRA safe, not so much that it is a real danger....

maybe thats y u think ur mileage is low ... cuz u put in a full tank of gas while ur car is on, and u go to pay, get sumthin to eat, etc and by the time u get back to ur car, the tank is no longer full ... therefore less mileage?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by willtolive

Yea and you never saw a fire at a race??

The reason not to do is is for static discharge and electrical shorts. Not to mention its a crime to do so.

Familiarize yourself with the search button, you will get faster results.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh and idling doesnt waste much fuel so the theory of it running burning fuel will allow more in The Tl can idle for 8 hrs and burn LESS than 1/4 tank. How do i know, it does it just about every day.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Ok put on your flame suit because I worked with aviation gas and race cars all my life.
First- the fire triangle- three things must exist at the same time in order to start a fire
Fuel source/combustable material- Oxygen- Source of Ignition-spark.
The first 2 exist at all times while fueling.

Fuel flowing thru a hose creates static electricity
The human who walks around the car or gets in and out while fueling, clothing creates static charge- nylon is especially good at this
Cell phones ring by electrical discharge!
WHEN you touch the bare metal of the side of the gas pump- you discharge your static to it and it goes thru its grounding rod system. If you touch the nozzle while its in the car and flowing with a full static charge buildup- !!!kaboom!!! is very much a possibility.
Every winter you see video on the news of a car suddenly catching fire- look closely and see the guy answer call phone just before.......

Race cars have 1 guy with a FIRE EXTINGUISHER pointed AT the fuel port AND a guy with water to dilute any spilled fuel so it doesnt ignite on the ground or side of the car.
Race cars are very difficult to restart when hot- your car is not.
Do you normally carry a pit crew with you???

Your car has a closed loop emission sysytem which requires the gas cap to be on airtight while running, and by overfilling so it splashes out- you likely get fuel into emission cannister and mess it up.
Follow the rules posted at the gas pump and save lives! use that will to live!
Lights on for Life and all that
Old 12-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

you buy spark plugs at auto parts stores like kragen- 45$ for the set of 6
dont buy anything else- use the correct plugs- call themand ask for the ngk iridium

scroll down the thread list or search gen2 for: seafoamed the ol TL
7 bucks a can- tune up in a can- buy 2 cans for best results
same place that has the spark plugs will have seafoam- engine internals cleaner-fuel cleaner and more
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
ive put 16.7 gallons at most in my tank and that was by sitting there after the pump stopped itself for 5min topping it off (no homo)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Smokin

thanks guys for the thoughts...I will apply...

I am thinking statistics here, not possibilities, when I made my comment about the car being turned on during fuel pumping. IF it really was such a dangerous thing, ALOT more instances would be happening because static discharge happens all the time at the pumps I am sure. I gaurantee you that people at the pump don't even touch the metal part first...I never have consciously done that....it happens very few times in a given year....I know that....SO, STATISTICALLY speaking, it really is not a huge danger.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

yes you are correct-its not very often- but do you want to be the guy on CNN shown over and over blazing away at the pump?
2nd and 3rd degree burns are painful beyond belief

Winter is the busy time for static with the nylon jackets being a big problem.

If you have EVER touched your car door getting out and got a zap-spark...apply that to fuel and oxygen and what do you get?? the triangle!!!

Statistically- 2-5% of TL transmissions fail- but on azine that number goes to 70% plus
I wonder how that applies to the fueling mishap numbers. Are we smarter than the average bear?