fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb fuel injector cleaner

just thought id share a little story about my resent TL adventures. I think this pretty common so here we go.
It all started with a 3 day trip, which i park my car at the airport for. When i got back and drove the car the throttle was sticking and it ran like sh_t for a few minutes. I called the dealer the next day and they said it deff carbon built-up and i need to use some cleaner or it would get to bad and need to take more drastic approches.(I'm sure it a combo of cheap gas, 91 of course, and quick stop and go driving) So i got a bottle of fuel inj cleaner(best lookin bottle) and put it in.Grease lightning was the brand, 1 bottle treats up to 25 gals.
It worked great, the next morning it started up well and during the first few shifts from rev to D5 the idle was smooooth, unlike previously.
later that day on the way home i was doing some pretty hard freeway sprints in 3rd and as i was driving threw my nbrhood i heard a loud rattling noise that sounded like the heat shield where loose under the car.so it went right up on ramps at home and nothin was loose. the sound was deff coming from the cat. conv. OH SH_T THIS IS WAY TOO LONG!!!

morale=fuel inj cleaner works and solves the above mentioned probs. and when using it drive conservitivly to avoid overheating exhaust components.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard some people saying you should rev it a little if u have injector cleaner in the tank. Cleans out the carbon from the combustion chambers..
Old 06-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

ya thats the thinking i had too. i just overdid it with more of racing the motor
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PAT GOSS from the ( PBS TV SHOW MOTOR WEEK TV )That test all the new cars trucks. He does the mechanic segement of the show. PAT has his own local TV & RADIO show in this area since MOTOR WEEK is based out of the BALT/WASH area. PAT has his own auto shop in the area. In his shop he uses the BG service products. This is the same stuff the ACURA dealer use at 15K & 30K service intervals. The BG MOA for the oil & the BG44K for the gas tank. The BG44K is a fuel system cleaner & he says to use it every 7,500 miles. He said that most people think you need to drive the car hard (blow it out) after you put this stuff in the tank. He says that the best way for it to work is to drive normal & the short distance stop & go normal turn engine off & on type of driving will make it work the best. The BG44K cost $25 a can at the dealer. You should also use the BG MI3000 PLUS a few hundred miles after clean-up with BG44K.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Papa Bear

Interesting. Is this stuff (BGXXX) available only at a dealer or can we get is from Pep Boys, Autzone, etc.?
Old 06-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro

Fuel unjector cleaner works for me...i used techron and the gresse lighting in the metal bottle. I recommend it. For carbon build up..i got this tip off the Miata Forum...they recommend rev and redlining a couple times to reduce carbon build up.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

"Fuel unjector cleaner works for me...i used techron and the gresse lighting in the metal bottle. I recommend it. For carbon build up..i got this tip off the Miata Forum...they recommend rev and redlining a couple times to reduce carbon build up."

ya but im tellin you if you do it too much youll have short term negitive effects that will make you think you just ruined your baby. I agree with FTM-1 just drive normal.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Advanced

yeah, i just recently got some fuel injector cleaning done (at ezlube).

they never warmed it up/rev'd it up after giving car back to me. car stalled on me 2x before i went back to them. they said sorry, keep it reving for a while. but i rev to 4k rpm's, makes a funny sound when the needle comes back down, like a vacuum noise. guy said something about the PCV, and some stuff could be pulling in there.

i just posted recently about this experience. anyone else hear this funny sound when they rev high?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hey FTM,

You can only get BG at the deaer??

Also, when they perform the fuel injector service using BG products they only pour the BG bottle in the gas tank?? lol
Old 06-30-2003, 04:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vtec11
hey FTM,

You can only get BG at the deaer??

Also, when they perform the fuel injector service using BG products they only pour the BG bottle in the gas tank?? lol
I am not sure about just pouring it into the tank. They list on the invoice BG44K fuel treatment. But as I said Pat Goss with Motor Week said put it in the tank every 7,500 miles with normal drivng. When I purchased it from the dealer parts department. The parts guy said to pour BG44K in & after you drive the car few hundred miles then put the can BG MI3000 PLUS.
This then would clean the whole fuel system. My sisters DODGE dealership was putting this same BG44K in her 93 Caravan when I use to take it in for service intervals. They aslo used the stuff over in there other BENZ,NISSAN,& olds dealerships. They are all good dealerships in the area. I use to talk to the service manger all the time at the Dodge dealer. My HONDA dealer was located next door to there BENZ & DODGE DEALER. But you need to use a funnel to pour this stuff in the tank. Its kinda thick not watered down. The dealer has put it in my car twice & I have put it in twice. I have had no problems & the car runs fine. I think the only place you can get it is from dealerships or some other garages that might use it. BG makes other products like the MOA motor oil additive. The ACURA dealer also puts this in the oil at 15K & 30K 45K service intervals. The dealer also puts in the Trans Treat Conditioner at the 30K service. www.bgprod.com
Old 07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro

Back to the original post - one thing most injector cleaners also do is remove moisture from the gas tank - that would cause problems if your car was sitting in high temperatures for three days while you were on a trip. Water builds up in the gas tank, causing a rough ride until it works it way out, fuel injector cleaner helps the process.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

GOOD INFO THERE, but i think with both the sticky throttle and the ruff idle it was prob carbon or maybe both. either way i'm sold on regular inj treatments
Old 07-02-2003, 01:29 AM

What is the best recommended "Fuel Injector Cleaner"...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr
What is the best recommended "Fuel Injector Cleaner"...
Probably Techron from what I've read. If you use Chevron gas you don't need any more of it but they will be pleased to sell you a bottle anyway.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I use a bottle of Techron every 6-7k miles when I change my oil. I've switched to Royal Purple oil and transmission additive and the car has been so much smoother. I also run Shell or BP gas (93) and add the Octane boost once a month (every fourth fill up or so) for the h=ll of it...
Old 07-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

hey what oil did you convert from? and is that where you got a smoothness differance or was it from the tranny additive?

I'm on my first term with amsoil and i notice a differance the first time i started it, started much faster and free er
Old 07-02-2003, 03:06 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I actually had been using Mobile 1 for almost 15k miles changing around 5k miles but switched to RP after talking to some people on line and at a local race shop. The guy at the shop told me that if I didn't notice a difference--even from using Mobile 1, he'd give me my money back (it's only like $32.00 for 6 qts)...
The service guy at Acura tested my car when I arrive, at idle, for me for the h=ll of it and retested it after I drove it around for about a half an hour after the oil change and not only did it sound smoother, the kicker was it ran 20 degrees cooler (so the tech said). Anyway, I did the tranny stuff later and noticed a very mild difference if any, but then again I have the brand new tranny!!!