front windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front windshield replacement

I have a 99TL with 117k kilometers, mostly highway. The front windshield has become pitted in a number of locations from impacts with gravel etc. The spots are most noticable in bright sunlight and in the evening with approaching traffic. I have gotten the OK from my insurance company to replace the window. Does the Acura dealer do window replacement? Do I deal with an auto window dealer? Is there any difference between the windshields used by the two?
I would appreciate info from anyone who has dealt with this issue.

Thanks
Well travelled 99Tl, Waterfordboy.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Ain't No Other...

you have two options if you want the best for your TL, you can get the factory (honda) glass and the windshield molding from the dealer and then have a window installer do it.... or you can get OEM glass which is exactly the same as the honda glass except the name, which is PPG star glass(do a search and check out the website for PPG)...this is the largest OEM manufacturer, and they might be able to locate a windshield in your local area and if you go to PPG's website, there are window install dealer locator, and most handle insurance claims....anything cheaper, might have blurs and irregularities, for example my friends integra got a 150 dollar replacement windshield and the whole windshield is kinda warpped looking slightly, and when i got out of the car I was dizzy and had a headache....dont want that....so honda or OEM....but if you can find a good window place just get it from them, btw I have PPG glass installed....had a fat crack on mine...
Old 04-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

I have Glass Protection included in my insurance from GEICO so when i got a crack i filed a claim and they gave me the address of a local authorized installer which happened to be a place I knew well. They replaced my windshield and all i did was a sign a form and GEICO took care of the rest. Its been a year and my glass is still crystal clear..I ddint really ask for OEM glass or whatever but the glass is fine and the replacement even had the integrated smoked strip at the top edge...