front dashboard rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 06:06 PM

Question front dashboard rattle

Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of my car last week. It had a wood trim meter kit installed by the dealer. The car has been a joy to drive but over the past few days I have noticed a rattling noise coming from the driver's side dashboard. The noise is worse on uneven streets. I know it's a minor thing but it's getting to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:54 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be the moonroof. I had that problem before, thought the rattle was coming from the dash, but it was actually the moonroof. Take it back to the dealer and they will take care of it.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

Not sure it is the same problem. My TLS 's dashboard
had squeaking noise when going on uneven road.
I took my car to
Pleasanton Acura and they fixed it for me. The problem
is the instrumental cluster plastic panel is rubbing with
the dash soft vinyl. They put some kind of pad/
insulating tape around the instrumental panel to
avoid rubbing. The squeak is gone since it was in
the shop (2 weeks ago.)

Actually, you can try to press the dash top and you
will hear the squeaking noise.

Hope it helps,

-- william
Old 09-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TypeSDragon
It could be the moonroof. I had that problem before, thought the rattle was coming from the dash, but it was actually the moonroof. Take it back to the dealer and they will take care of it.
Yeah or you have sunglasses in the sunglass holder that rattled..........
Old 09-25-2001, 03:15 PM
Racer

Re: front dashboard rattle

It's not minor, you should have it fixed. I told the Acura dealership about a rattle, a "button" in the back seat that popped off and a scratch on the cupholder made by their service tech guy. They acted like it was no big deal. I let them know it was a problem to me. I shouldn't have to beg them to fix it. If Acura wants to compete with Lexus, Infiniti and the like, it all starts with how they treat their customers!

Originally posted by sedan123
Hello everyone,

I just took delivery of my car last week. It had a wood trim meter kit installed by the dealer. The car has been a joy to drive but over the past few days I have noticed a rattling noise coming from the driver's side dashboard. The noise is worse on uneven streets. I know it's a minor thing but it's getting to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by evolaerok

Yeah or you have sunglasses in the sunglass holder that rattled..........
Yup . . . that's what mine was. I'd have sworn it was in the dash in front of the passenger seat. I had my daughter listen for it, she said "yeah, I hear it," reached up, opened the sunglasses holder, took out my glasses, closed it, and said "uh, there you go, dad." I felt kinda stupid, but no more rattle.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Hate to break it to you guy's but these cars are not QUALITY by any means!!! I am in touch with ACURA Customer Care and I am trying to get out of my lease on this piece of ssshhhitt!!!! My car has spent 2 weeks at the dealership trying to fix rattles that started at about 4000 miles. I have the dash rattle and 2 others...
I really wish I would not of gotten this car..............
Old 09-25-2001, 09:23 PM
Racer

Wow, RHINO, I'm so glad you clued me in that what I thought was a great car is really a piece of crap. Now that I'm enlightened I'll be able to sell it before my first oil change.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 8ball
Wow, RHINO, I'm so glad you clued me in that what I thought was a great car is really a piece of crap. Now that I'm enlightened I'll be able to sell it before my first oil change.
WOW 8ball, I'm glad I could help...but you must be living in a cave or not have read the many similar quality issue related posts on this board.... Mine did'nt start ratteling until after the 3rd recall and after the first oil change.. so you still have a
"little while" there pal
Old 09-28-2001, 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have an appointment with the Service Dept next Friday 10/05 and will let you know what the problem is.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:59 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by RHINO928

WOW 8ball, I'm glad I could help...but you must be living in a cave or not have read the many similar quality issue related posts on this board.... Mine did'nt start ratteling until after the 3rd recall and after the first oil change.. so you still have a
"little while" there pal
Stop whining and start learning to spell! Do you think any car out there would be trouble or rattle free? You sound like "the princess and the pea!" Just get the rattles fixed and stop bothering Acura Customer Service. They are not going to let you give back your car. You are wasting your time.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:04 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Yup, going to the dealer next week to fix my rattles and squeaks. Getting very annoying. :o
Old 09-28-2001, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tea elle

Stop whining and start learning to spell! Do you think any car out there would be trouble or rattle free? You sound like "the princess and the pea!" Just get the rattles fixed and stop bothering Acura Customer Service. They are not going to let you give back your car. You are wasting your time.
Spelling a word one way is a learning disability!!! Besides is this a frick'n spelling contest...oh, I am the first person to spell incorrectly on this forum..right?..You must be the great defender of the tea elle - NOW THAT'S SPELLING ... Whining?? Hell No I am straight up pissed!!! The car has spent 2 weeks at the dealership and for a loaner I had the pleasure of driving a Dodge Caravan...
There are several recent threads related to this same problem on the board... And no, I do not expect for a car never to have rattles..but one that costs 31500 should be rattle free for more than 4500 miles, would you agree?
Do you work for Acura? because if you do I help pay your salary and reserve a right to "bother" the living crap out of them should I choose too!!!
I really just want the damn thing to quit rattling, I do not even drive it my wife does...
Don't take things so personal and if you have a chance send me some info for Hooked On Phonics....
I don't want to lower the I.Q. rating of "dis heer boord":p
Thanks for your constructive input tea elle I will try to overcome my disability...
Old 09-28-2001, 11:39 PM
Racer

OK, everybody relax.

I suppose I'd be pissed too if my car sounded like it was rattling apart at 4500 miles. But so far, at 2500, mine's rattle free. The ONLY problem I've had was a loose passenger door panel that was fixed in 20 minutes at an unscheduled dealer visit. Well, that and the uneven tailpipes that will be corrected soon, when I take it in for an oil change (sounds funny saying that, given that I've NEVER taken any of my cars anywhere but my own garage to change the oil). But, my service manager said she'd give me a loaner while they fixed the pipes and changed the oil, since it will take a couple of hours.

Everybody play nice, now!
Old 09-29-2001, 12:23 AM
Instructor

I can play nice.. And I am not a Acura basher. I truly believe that the design of the TL-S is superior to anything else in the class. BUT they really need to tighten up on quality of craftsmanship in the production phase... I am a xtreme car enthusiast, the mods alone on my Porsche could buy a TL-S and leave money for a nice vacation. I love the performance of the TL-S combined with it's styling and size. I got the car because my wife and I really liked it the most after driving the Lexus - Mercedes - BMW - Lincoln - VOLVO - Audi - Infiniti - I drove them all and the TL-S was our choice for every reason but price... I should not have to sacrifice quality though and either should you!!
Old 09-29-2001, 12:45 AM
Drifting

Sometimes rattles don't really come from where you think they're coming from. Take a friend with you, turn the radio off and start hunting for the sound.

I've heard that the passenger side air conditioner vent sometimes bumps against the back of the glove compartment, making a thumping or knocking sound.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman
Sometimes rattles don't really come from where you think they're coming from. Take a friend with you, turn the radio off and start hunting for the sound.

I've heard that the passenger side air conditioner vent sometimes bumps against the back of the glove compartment, making a thumping or knocking sound.

done that....