Front Collision caused airbags to deploy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
^X2 Follow the DIY I did for getting the module out, and send it to myairbags.com to get it reset for $55.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:18 AM
The Talk of New York

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that was my plan and I took apart the entire dash which was kinda scary as I couldn't remember where everything screws in at the end.

I finally got access to the module and got the first screw out which was easy, then started working on getting the screw out from the passenger side and that bitch just wouldn't budge, I even broke my torx screwdriver trying to get it out...on top of all that I couldn't get plugs #2 #3 out because of the tight space

Any suggestions???
Old 08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjohn84
I would only get rid of that car for financial reasons (i.e., you can't afford to fix it). It is not hit that bad. Based on those pics, the car should not drive crooked or cause excessive tire wear. Unless the suspension is damaged (can't see in pics), I see no reason to worry about alignment issues. The main crossmember is not bent, and the frame behind the wheel is not bent. The bumper absorbed most of the impact.

I have had 7 rebuilt/salvage cars over my 27 years of driving, all with front-end hits, and none of them have driven crooked or had tire wear issues. Mind you, not all wrecked cars are the same. Side hits or severe front-end hits can cause alignment issues, but hits like yours are perfect candidates to be rebuilt. I wouldn't hesitate to fix and drive that car again. Rebuilt cars are not for everyone, as there are sometimes little things that pop-up after-the-fact (see my posts about headlight ballasts, a/c components, SRS components, belts, pulleys, bolts), but if the sub-frame is straightened by a reputable shop, there should be no structural or alignment issues.

Hard to tell about the engine being tilted like that. Once the frame is pulled and new motor mounts are installed, it may be fine. Heck, if I were in the market, I might buy it from you...for the right price

That gets us back to financial reasons. You will have to compare the cost of getting it repaired against the cost of buying another vehicle. Of course if you owe money on that car, the loan will need to be paid-off with proceeds from the sale, which may or may not leave you with funds for a downpayment on something else. You will either have to pay to get it fixed, or pay additional beyond selling price to buy something else. A buyer for your car in that condition (and being that old) is going to drastically inflate repair costs and deduct from its normal fair market value, and not offer you a lot of money. If you are willing/able to fix a lot of it yourself as time/money permit, you will be better off. If not, I guess you take your lumps and buy something else. Only carrying liability insurance has it risks.
I want what you are smoking. to use OEM parts that is at least 6K

just by looking at that I can tell you that car isn't gonna drive straight. There is at least 6K worth of damage to that car my short list goes like this

whole new front end clip
rework hood and front fenders
the fact that the engine is not in stright = new subframe cuse that old one got pulled pretty hard and it will never be the same when they straighten it out and it will also be substantially weaker.

Good luck and I hope they fix your carl well but cheaper = cut corners