freakin CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
freakin CD changer

So, first, I tried searching for topics on this but was unsuccessful, so sorry for posting a dead and beat topic.

But today, I was driving and simply hit the "eject" button while listening to the radio, something I've done several times and the CD pops up to the dispenser level but stays stuck in player. So I cold see the disc but couldn't reach in and pull it out. Basically I try to give it a nudge to see if it'll reload and everything will be alright, but alas no such luck, an error message comes up everytime I turn on the stereo at all and whenever I hit the CD button. The changer won't let me even listen to any of the other CD's I have in. This freakin blows and I'm going to Acura dealership Monday morning, asap.

Since I just moved to LA, I'll be stayin in Encino, so I'll bring my car to Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. Is this a good dealership or should I avoid it? thanks for the advise all....
Old 06-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a CDR with label on it?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:05 PM
8th Gear

My 2002 did the same thing. Acura will swap the whole unit out....no problem.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

all you need to do is take a cd and try to jam it in the H.U, once you do that the CD ( da one got stuck ) will come right out.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro

This happens to almost EVERY TLS out there. Swapping out the unit will probably only postpone the inevitable. I use ONLY store bought CDs WITHOUT labels, and I have the same problem from time to time. It didn't start out giving me problems until about six months or so.

To get a jammed CD out of the deck, you need to slide something into the CD slot ABOVE (on top of the stuck CD) and then push down on it. This will apply more force on the ejection roller that is simply spinning and slipping against the CD. As others have suggested many times, you can insert another CD into the slot on top of the jammed CD and apply a bit of downward pressure.

This will work, HOWEVER you can very easily scratch the bottom playing surface of the CD used to help un-jam the stuck CD. THEREFORE, I use a popsicle stick or a wooden coffee stir stick to do the trick. I keep a couple in my armrest just for this purpose. I find that when I have one jammed, I simply "stick the stick" into the slot and press down on the jammed CD. The friction will now be sufficient on the ejection rollers to force the jammed CD out of the slot. So far it has always worked...

That's my suggestion. However, it would be interesting to know whether or not any FACTORY changes have been made to the stock PIONEER CD player to address this issue. If so, then let us know and we'll all take our players in to have them changed out. As for me now, I feel that the new deck will just do the same thing after a year when the rollers become slick again.

P.S. YES, CDR DISCS WITH LABELS WILL GIVE YOU THIS PROBLEM A LOT MORE OFTEN... SO AVOID STICK-ON LABELS THAT CAN CAUSE HANGUPS. Label your homemade CDRs with a Sharpie.

Good luck!
SB
Old 06-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Instructor

naw, it was a regular store bought CD, but I'll try your suggestions now, thanks a bunch...
Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Racer

This happend to me ... got the unit replaced last month and its been fine.. But too soon to tell... I think the most slot-load players will circumb to this evntually due to their design. My buddy has a Volvo C70 which got the 4-disc cartridge system in-dash and he's never had any issues with it.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:14 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my CD player replaced twice now
Old 06-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I had a CD-R w/ a label stuck once. I grabbed a pair of tweezers and pulled it right out. No problem since then. The label wasn't on right and was sticking up.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Banned

I had the same problem with mine and it seems to be happening with only 2 cds (THOSE THAT WERE BURNED AND HAD LABELS ON THEM). I just use my work id badge to try and eject it out.

I guess I'll have to burn those cds onto another CDR- minus the label.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Instructor

last night i was driving and listening to the radio where out of no where a cd ejects itself out and then loads on its own.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Instructor

cd changer to be replaced

Well I went to Keyes acura in encino/sherman oaks area. They took a quick look and informed that they are ordering a replacement CD changer.

I then asked the service guy if they could try to save the CD's, (I had some PHAT tunes in).
His reply was, "we'll try to save the $800 changer over the CD's"
My reply, "I don't care about the stupid CD changer, it's under warranty, no money out of my pockets, I do care about the discs though, cuz now I'm not 100% sure which ones they are.... oh well I should be getting a call by the end of the week stating that they have the part and will be able to replace it within an hour of my arriving at the dealership.

ps. I NEVER put labels on burn CD's...

Thanks all for your help.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro

There shouldn't be any problem in saving your CDs once they open things up... unless they are idiots!

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Testing!!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Instructor

so, F*CK van nuys acura, I called today to find out the status of my CD changer and they hadn't even ordered it, I'm fuming, so I called Santa Monica Acura and they'll have the part tomorrow and they don't even have to inspect my car to make sure i'm not lying, so off to santa monica tomorrow, freakin fan nuys...
Old 06-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Instructor

SANTA MONICA ACURA ++

They were awesome, the service was great, I tried to test drive a 350Z next door but was denied because I wasn't going to buy that day.... so I test drove a T5s60, it was nice, very smooth over bumps (hot sales lady +) lots of punch, but I don't like the weight of the AWD, like in my aunt's legacy... anyway moral is Santa Monica Acura is a great place! I highly recommend!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Rock Star

had the problem last fall got stuck and acura tried to tell me it was a cd-r that did i wasnt buyin they said they would order me a new and it would take 2 weeks no cd for 2 weeks sux but anyway i agreed 3 days later i started the car up and it poppe dout i though that was weird but its been fine since....one problem i do have is that when chanin disks like if u go from 1-2 etc it takes a long time for the track to load as opposed to my JVC changer i had in my old car where it took like a sec has anyone eleses noticed this.....peace