Fog Light Shootout....Finally!! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Fog Light Shootout....Finally!! (Long)

OK, here it is....the long-awaited fog light shootout.

Let me start out by saying that I HAVE NO PICS, and that there isn't exactly a clear-cut winner. I also don't want anyone to run out and buy any of these bulbs and be disappointed, so read what I have to say carefully. That being said, read on.

Bulbs compared:

1. Sylvania SilverStars (4000k)
2. Razo Premium White Zero (4550k)
3. Razo Premium White (4100k)

All 3 bulbs in this comparison are less 60 watts or less, so they are direct deplacements for the factory bulbs and will not damage the wiring. I'm not saying that higher wattage bulbs WILL damage the wiring, just that these ones are definitely a safe bet.

After having the Silverstars for about a year, one of the bulbs burned out. I decided to try the Razo Premium White Zeros. The Zeros have a color temparature of 4550k, where our HIDs are supposed to be around 4100k (I believe). The SilverStars are 4000k.

I installed one of the Zeros and left one of the SilverStars in for comparison. The Zero blew away the SilverStar...hands down. The Zeros look significantly more like the HIDs in both medium light and low light conditions, with a HUGE edge in medium light conditions (i.e in a lighted parking lot at night or on an overcast day). They did however have a little more of a blueish tint to them than I would have cared for. Not perfect, but pretty d@mn good.

Well, after about 2 weeks with the Zeros, my fog light housing shattered while driving from Cleveland to Tampa, which allowed the brand new bulb to get all scratched up from salt and road debris. I bought a new housing off of this site and ordered a different set of bulbs this time, as I figured I'd try the regular Razo Premium Whites (not the Zeros). The Premium Whites have a color temparature of 4100k, which I believe is the same as our HIDs.

I replaced the shattered housing and put in a Premium White, leaving one of the Zeros in the other housing for comparison.

Initial thoughts:

Immediately after turning on the HIDs and fog lights, the Zeros are a MUCH better match from up close. I was viewing them in a lighted parking lot at night with a good deal of surrounding light. After the HIDS had warmed up for about 2 minutes, the Zeros still had the edge, making the Premium Whites look almost yellow in comparison from up close. I say this because the Zeros are almost TOO blue and look dramatically different than the Premium Whites in the conditions I was viewing them in.

I changed out the remaining Zero with the other Premium White, wishing that I had just ordered another set of Zeros to replace my scratched bulb. I then drove to a nearby dark parking lot. The bulbs had been on for about 10 minutes. I got out and walked about 20 feet from the car. They Premium Whites matched almost PERFECTLY. I was QUITE happy.

Although, I was unable to do a direct comparison in dark conditions, I'd say that the Premium Whites look a little better than the Zeros in the dark, as I always felt that the Zeros were just a little too blue. Even from inside the car, the Zeros always cast a slightly blueish tint on the ground. However, in medium light conditions, and up close (5-10 feet) the Zeros definitely look like a closer match to the HIDs. Something in-between these 2 bulbs would be PERFECT....unfortunately Razo does not make such a bulb.

I'm not going to draw a conclusion, because both bulbs have their strong points. At this point, if I was buying a new pair and had to choose one or the other, it would be a tough call, but I'd PROBABLY go with the Premium Whites, as I think they're a slightly better match in the dark. If you drive with your fogs on a lot during the day, you might want the Zeros instead though.

I know everyone wants pics, but I don't have a digital camera available to me. Pics of lights never really seem to tell the truth anyway, as just about every fog light pic I've seen posted on this site seems to match the HIDs much better in the picture than in real life.

I hope this helps!!
Old 02-13-2003, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where you buy the pzero bulbs? how ,much?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:50 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do they make the Zeros in H1 bulbs? If yes, where can I get them and how much?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here are 2 sites that sell the Razos. I purchased both pairs from the first site listed.

http://www.imotorgear.com/
http://www.optauto.com/

BlackShadow - Yes, they make them in H1...check the sites above for pricing.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but razo's are pretty pricey compared to the majority of bulbs out there so of course you get good results if you pay good money. i've read the most reviews for the silverstar and eaglite bulbs with the eaglite's getting the slight edge in positive reviews. i've put in my order for a pair of those. for helpful shopping info and for myself should the eaglite's burn out (knock on wood), anyone else with comparisons between more affordable bulbs?