flat tire hell!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry flat tire hell!

I've owned 2 accords and now the TLS - all with Michelin tires. On all of them I've had sidewall punctures at one time or another!

Today, my rear tire got a sidewall puncture! I tried fixing the flat but Acura provides that ridiculous temp tire...why can't they provide a full size spare...its a 33K car for petes sake

It was very dark so I couldn't see much - tried called Acura TLC and they told me someone would be there but not before 1-2 hours! And this is Los Angeles (Burbank), totally ridiculous...I've used AAA before and they are there in 15 mins. So, I told them no thanks and put the spare myself ...

And whoever invented that stupid jack should be shot It is so tough to turn it with that toy handle!! Is there such a thing as an automatic jack??
Old 10-07-2001, 02:21 AM
bh
Advanced

damn that sux, i dont know why they dont have a full size tire, but i guess its for the small ladies who want to try to put it on themselves.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:25 AM
Drifting

I've never had much faith in TLC given what I've read; that's why I still have my handy-dandy AAA membership.

I think that some cities just have more road debris than others. I remember having lived in Tulsa, OK during my college years. I averaged one punctured tire every 6 months there. I think 3 times out of 4 I picked up a sheet metal screw from some old wreck that wasn't cleared off the street. I've lived in Kansas City for 3+ years now, and I have had only one puncture. Tulsa drivers absolutely suck, and their road crews hardly get enough caffeine to do their job.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by daverman
I've never had much faith in TLC given what I've read; that's why I still have my handy-dandy AAA membership.

Its true, AAA is absolutely the best! They do a great job - I've been very satisfied with them!! I'm thinking of re-instating my membership incase I need a tow or jumpstart or something...

I called a couple of places for the Michelin MXM4 215/50 R17 and they all say its special order, waiting time 5-7 days

Meanwhile I'm wondering if riding the other tires and putting in one brand new one is going to affect the handling?? I don't want to spend the $$$ to fix the other rear as these tires are not cheap ($175 a pop!)
Old 10-07-2001, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

I still don't understand why Honda provides small spare tires while Toyota has no problem make their spare tires full-size.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by thejavagod
Meanwhile I'm wondering if riding the other tires and putting in one brand new one is going to affect the handling?? I don't want to spend the $$$ to fix the other rear as these tires are not cheap ($175 a pop!)
How many miles are on your current tires? If they are relatively new (less than 10,000 miles), I would think one new tire isn't going to matter much, especially once you rotate them once or twice. But I would recommend you replace all of them when the time comes.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down i too think the stockers are fragile!

if you have not already replaced the stocker, go to america's tire to get it done. while you are there, get them to cover the other 3 tires with their "free replacement" certificates.

i ran over some debris and it bubbled one of the front tires. i tried to get the dealer to replace it for free, but no luck, and they directed to america's tire down the street. since the car was like 2 weeks old, they gave me half off for a new identical tire...and in the process, i bought $20 free replacement certificates for the other 3 tires. the ceritificate is unconditional!

http://www.americastire.com/certificate.html
Old 10-08-2001, 07:21 AM
Instructor

The Michelin Pilots MXM4's haven't got rave reviews from anyone. Most people on this forum have stated that they are inferior for the cars we drive. Why can't Acura give us better tires !?!?! I guess you get what you pay for at 33k.....

I rubbed... and I mean slightly rubbed... my passenger side front tires along a curb in a parking lot. It made a pretty awful scraping sound... followed by an "OH SH!T" sound from me When I inspected the damage, I found I scraped the outer lip of a my rim and the tire had abrasion damage. Closer inspection revealed that I several peices of the sidewall had come off! I was shocked!! The pieces piece were anywhere from the size of a quarter to about and inch wide.... plus they were from about 1/4" to maybe 1/2-3/4" deep. I couldn't believe how severe the damage was.... and my car only had ~750 miles on it at the time.

I took it back to the Acura dealer where I got the car and went right to my salesman. After a song and dance about no road hazard coverage, we went to the service manager... after going round and round about replacing the tire.... they finally ended up putting on a new one... total cost $75.00. On the invoice it didn't list the tire... only 1 hr of labor... which wasn't true... only about 15 mins...

I hear your pain about these crappy tires.... you would think tire manufacturers and car dealers would be more leary after the whole Bridgestone/Firestone fiasco.... oh well..
Old 10-08-2001, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: i too think the stockers are fragile!

Originally posted by StanMan
if you have not already replaced the stocker, go to america's tire to get it done. while you are there, get them to cover the other 3 tires with their "free replacement" certificates.
Thats exactly what I'm doing...and they are getting me the tire on Wednesday itself. Very friendly service, they told me that since I have only 7000 miles on my car Michelin will give me 50% off