Finger print on PAINT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001 | 03:35 PM
Instructor

Finger print on PAINT!!!

Yes you read that right.

I was ZAINO-ing my baby yesterday and found what looks like a finger print. It's aboout 3/16th of an inch, but still noticable under close inspection.

I've also found some "bubble" or trapped dirt.

ACURA TL's paint job IS really disappointing!

Besides those minor issues...I'm happy with my car!

Old 08-27-2001 | 03:45 PM
Pro

NO JOKE??

Man, I thought you were kidding about the finger print....like being totally fanatical about how clean it should be. But you mean to tell us, that along with the dirt bubbles, there is someone's finger print baked into your paint?

Very weird...and most disappointing!
Old 08-27-2001 | 03:49 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Talking

I know how you feel, man!! Those finger prints are everywhere, I guess people just can't keep off their paws off of my baby!
Old 08-27-2001 | 03:55 PM
Not a Blowhole

Are you 100% sure it is below the clearcoat? If not, it could be someones paw print from an adhesive or some other volatile material, and that could have happened anywhere.
Old 08-27-2001 | 04:07 PM
Not a Blowhole

Some hope for water-spotted paint...

http://www.3m.com/market/automotive/.../product4.html

This is the best stuff I have found. I was able to significantly reduce the appearance of thew water spots I got when I left thre car at the dealer's for tewo days (and which have not repeated I might add).

It will take work and is best done by hand (I also tried it with my Random orbit Porter Cable buffer).

Procedure:
1) Take your time and be patient
2) Use a non smooth applicator - I find plain old red shop tools work best.
3) Work some of the Fine-Cut cleaner into the paint with your rag and a finger tip, applying firm pressure
4) As the cleaner dries, reduce pressure and work it a bit more
5) If you see fine scratches, you pushed too hard or continued to rub after the cleaner set-up. Stop sooner next time. If any fine scratches, buff out with cleaner/wax or Meguiar's #9, #7, pr Pinnacle Paint Cleaning solution
6) Repeat as needed

They will not disapper, but I am convinced that over time the result will be accdeptable.

If you know what you are doing, use a medium cutting compound and a buffer, then a fine cut, then a polish.

If you don't, take it to a pro - my guess based on these results is that they can significantly improve it beyond what we can.
Old 08-27-2001 | 10:09 PM
Racer

I found one or two dirt/sand baked into my paint also. Very small, but not very good for a "luxury" car. That and the edge of the pass. air bag keeps poping up. This car most have huge apeal as I'm a nick picker and still loke the car. Have a small chip on my trunk alread (1 week old), and dealer does not have the AJB touch-up paint yet. Its the size of a pin head, can't see it, hope it doesn't do like the peeling like a banana post here.