Finally! I have headers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Finally! I have headers!

After two disappointing attempts to try to have Stone headers installed on my car. I stopped all the BS and got Comptech headers.

Headers installed perfect without a hitch, which is probably not a surprise to any of you with Comptech already but it was a pleasant one for me after finding out twice that I wouldn't be riding home with my headers.

Again, no surprise for anyone who already has headers but the ride home was great for me! I could definitely feel the difference up high. Even got a little bit of torque steer in 1st gear

Took on a '03 or '04 v6 Accord Coupe (most likely auto) on the way home and had no problems walking away from him. Sweet!

Was definitely worth the money to get the Comptech Headers. Thanks to Peter Ubers who PM'ed me after I posted about my Stone header woes and sold me the set on his old TL-S.

Next mod: Uni-Chip!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:35 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that sounds good! looks like we got another happy Comptech Headers owner i bet ur havin fun :p
Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad everything worked out for. I don't want to bing up a sour note, but after all said and done how much did it cost for everything.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by cma2180
Glad everything worked out for. I don't want to bing up a sour note, but after all said and done how much did it cost for everything.
Well... Lets add this up ... this is going to hurt

$400 Stone Headers
$200 Install Stone Headers #1
$200 Uninstall Stone Headers #1
$175 Install Stone Headers #2 (went to another mechanic that wouldn't charge to uninstall)
$700 Comptech Headers (used from Peter Ubers)
Installer #2 hooked me up and did the install for Comptech for free because he was sure that they would fit easily.
----------------
Grand total: $1675 for 1 set of working headers on my car

Now I'm supposed to get a $400 refund from Nashua_Night_Hawk for the Stone headers that I sent back to him, but he hasn't contacted be about my refund yet and his PM box is full right now. Now assuming I get my $400 back for the Stone headers, it'll run me $1275 after everything. Almost like I bought Comptech Headers brand new + installation, except I ended up with used ones, and over a year later than when I originally ordered my Stone headers. Not a perfect situation, but at least I've got something that fits and works! ... Just in time to run some 1/4's at Acura Wars too
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 PM
El Presidente

:wow: GEE WHIZ!! i wish i could spend that type of money. but i admire ur determination. good job. was it worth it? :p
Old 03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, he spent so much already. Gotta finish the job.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
El Presidente

Originally posted by Bxscig
Well, he spent so much already. Gotta finish the job.
indeed. very true
Old 03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by Dark DJ
:wow: GEE WHIZ!! i wish i could spend that type of money. but i admire ur determination. good job. was it worth it? :p
Wasn't really intending to spend so much ... but like Bxscig said, I'd already spent so much money it would be even more frustrating to still have nothing to show for it. At least now I've got headers

Right now I feel like its worthwhile. I don't know if I can say it was worth all of the trouble I went through. If I had to do it again, I'd just buy Comptech to begin with ... but hindsight is 20/20 right?

We'll see on Saturday at Acura Wars if my 1/4 times are reduced enough to say it really was worthwhile
Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM
El Presidente

awesome!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Wasn't really intending to spend so much ... but like Bxscig said, I'd already spent so much money it would be even more frustrating to still have nothing to show for it. At least now I've got headers

Right now I feel like its worthwhile. I don't know if I can say it was worth all of the trouble I went through. If I had to do it again, I'd just buy Comptech to begin with ... but hindsight is 20/20 right?

We'll see on Saturday at Acura Wars if my 1/4 times are reduced enough to say it really was worthwhile
I think i've read on here that it takes some time for your ecu to adjust to the new headers, so you might want to get out before saturday and breakem in a little.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

thats retarted
Old 03-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Congrats on the header install. Yeah, it will take a little time for the car to break in and the ECU to recallibrate itself...after it breaks in you'll feel the difference even more. I'm still waiting for someone to produce Legend headers...it's just a necessary upgrade when you're looking for maximum power.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Racer

Re: Finally! I have headers!

After two disappointing attempts to try to have Stone headers installed on my car. I stopped all the BS and got Comptech headers.
So, you wouldn't recommend getting Stone headers at all? Has anyone else had this problem of Stone headers not fitting right?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

thats y u gotta get down and bust out some knuckles and get such things installed your self. u coulsa save over 1k.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 AM
El Presidente

wow bro, ur mx6 has almost done the same mileage as my old accord! way to go!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Liquid Ice

Re: Re: Finally! I have headers!

Originally posted by lodoss22
So, you wouldn't recommend getting Stone headers at all? Has anyone else had this problem of Stone headers not fitting right?
I really can't say for sure. A lot of people who got the Stone headers were able to get them to fit, but all of them had slight fitment issues. The two pieces that I got were really bad in terms of fitment though. With the 3rd group buy for Stone headers, Nashua claims that the fitment will be even better than before ... so there's a chance that things will be better. Since Stone doesn't come with any expressed warranty, you're taking a chance when you try to fit them though ... If for some reason they don't fit, you're going to end up like me and spending a lot of money on installation for headers that don't fit. So its up to you ... If they fit, then you save over $600. If they don't you could potentially waste a lot of money on installation.

Mazda_mx6_turbo,
Seeing what a pain in the ass it is to install those headers with just a normal wrench and no air gun ... I think I'd rather spend $200 to have them installed professionally. Considering the mod is supposed to be a "bolt on", I never imagined there'd be so many problems getting these things to fit.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

actually u guys might have harder time installing such things do to the little space u guys got in the engine bay compared to my 4 banger. so i know what u are talking about in such instalation. but o well. its all good.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
O.G.

Congrats and welcome to the real headers club...COMPTECH!:thefinger

Before everybody get their panties in a bunch, I bought my CT headers used from one of the members on here. Would I buy it new, yes if I had the $$$. But since I didn't have $1200+ to waste, the next best thing was a used one.

Let's see, should I start another Comptech vs. other headers war again? Nah, I think you guys get the point now.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang ! You made me so jealous and drooling about getting the header.

Is anyone else selling their used CT header ???
Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by BlackShadow
Congrats and welcome to the real headers club...COMPTECH!:thefinger

Before everybody get their panties in a bunch, I bought my CT headers used from one of the members on here. Would I buy it new, yes if I had the $$$. But since I didn't have $1200+ to waste, the next best thing was a used one.

Let's see, should I start another Comptech vs. other headers war again? Nah, I think you guys get the point now.
Thanks man, I've definitely learned my lesson on buying name brand versus off brand. Comptech definitely is awesome, and I'm glad I got them.

drcookie,

Keep your eyes peeled for people selling CT Headers on acura-tl.com and acura-cl.com, both have for sale forums and headers for the TL/CL should be the same. Saw people selling them on both forums so if you're patient you'll be able to find them I think!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drcookie,

Keep your eyes peeled for people selling CT Headers on acura-tl.com and acura-cl.com, both have for sale forums and headers for the TL/CL should be the same. Saw people selling them on both forums so if you're patient you'll be able to find them I think! [/B]
Thanks man, I will start checking the "for sale" forum.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Finally! I have headers!

Originally posted by lodoss22
To my knowledge, only Liqice has installation problems with Stone Headers. It's too bad, because Stone Headers are pretty good quality for the money (I know Liqice will disagree with me, but oh well). So I personally would recommend Stone over OBX for sure. What's important is to make an informed decision and go with it. Good luck if you decide to get headers (whichever brand you get).
Old 03-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Liquid Ice

Re: Re: Re: Finally! I have headers!

Originally posted by patrick
To my knowledge, only Liqice has installation problems with Stone Headers. It's too bad, because Stone Headers are pretty good quality for the money (I know Liqice will disagree with me, but oh well). So I personally would recommend Stone over OBX for sure. What's important is to make an informed decision and go with it. Good luck if you decide to get headers (whichever brand you get).
According to Nashua, "only" 30% of the people who bought Stone headers had fitment problems. Thats not to say that they couldn't get them on the car like me... but they were not "bolt on" like they were supposed to be.

The 3rd group buy for Stone is supposed to fix a lot of the fitment issues and the Stainless steel is of a good quality although the welds are not as perfect as the Comptech (but you're paying an extra $600 for the welds to be nice on the comptech).

My only concern with recommending Stone headers is that if you do have problems you could potentially be losing a significant chunk of change on installation. There's no expressed warranty on the headers either. If you're going to be doing it yourself then that probably isn't a big deal because I think Nashua will take care of you if you have problems.

If you want guarantees, Comptech is the way to go .. but when you're saving $600+ on Stone its hard to argue with that kindof savings.. Thats well over 50% off.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LiQiCE .. glad you're enjoying them buddy -- those things are mint. I had a blast with them, I know you will too.

Don't forget that Comptech also warrants their product 100% .. if you ever have issues w/ those headers -- cracks, leaks, whatever... they'll accept the product back, repair or replace it, and ship it back to you. That's customer service!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Don't forget that Comptech also warrants their product 100% .. if you ever have issues w/ those headers -- cracks, leaks, whatever... they'll accept the product back, repair or replace it, and ship it back to you. That's customer service!
For the price that Comptech charges, I would expect nothing less!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Dark DJ
wow bro, ur mx6 has almost done the same mileage as my old accord! way to go!
yea my car still runs pretty strong too. im hopuning a 250-260K with it, mostlikely 250k, cuase i drive it pretty hard. and turbo adds more stress. o well. i get to rebuild a performance engine for it after this one dies .
Old 03-26-2004, 03:09 PM
El Presidente

Originally posted by Mazda_mx6_turbo
yea my car still runs pretty strong too. im hopuning a 250-260K with it, mostlikely 250k, cuase i drive it pretty hard. and turbo adds more stress. o well. i get to rebuild a performance engine for it after this one dies .

nice!