Finally a fix for the door squeak!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally a fix for the door squeak!!

After trying everything under the sun to stop the annoying rubber squeak from the front door, things such as silicone spray, premium vinyl/rubber protectant, and even baby powder, the later of which worked the best believe it or not, I have found the cure. Take a small piece of sand paper and rough up the rubber seal that goes around the door opening. Not the one on the door, just the one on the frame itself. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. This doesn’t seem to affect all TL-S’s though. My friend has had no problem at all with his seals, except the sunroof, which this is very similar. Sorry for making such a long post but I hope this helps someone.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you referring to that annoying (well, I guess all abnormal sounds are annoying) "sticky" creaking that comes from the door seals lying up against each other when the door is closed? I tried oil, silicone, hadn't thought of baby powder, but thought of powdered graphite ...

however, i found that the stickiness is actually coming from within the door seals ... you know how they are hollow on the inside? Well, I think during the manufacturing process moisture crept in and caused the stickiness to develop. I dont' if yours is the same case.

Thanks for the post, I'll try the sandpaper tonight!

Pete
Old 07-28-2001, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Are you referring to that annoying (well, I guess all abnormal sounds are annoying) "sticky" creaking that comes from the door seals lying up against each other when the door is closed? I tried oil, silicone, hadn't thought of baby powder, but thought of powdered graphite ...

however, i found that the stickiness is actually coming from within the door seals ... you know how they are hollow on the inside? Well, I think during the manufacturing process moisture crept in and caused the stickiness to develop. I dont' if yours is the same case.

Thanks for the post, I'll try the sandpaper tonight!

Pete
got any pics? I want to do it to my Legend. Believe it or not, my problem is just annoying as yours. I found no way of getting rid of it. I even tried WD-40, but that just leaves a funky smell in the car, making the car undrivable for a few days.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:35 PM
Instructor

PeterUbers - I thought it was coming from inside the seal also so I sprayed a little of the silicone spray in the little holes located on the top of the seal itself. But the sound was still there for me. Only after the sandpaper did I find peace and quiet. Lovesick I will post some picks in a few.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Instructor

The top pic shows what it rubs on. The bottom pic is the seal you rough up with sandpaper. Sorry about the dumb hands. Just picked something real quick.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Walker:

I sanded (lightly as suggested) the frame's rubber seals. No go. I did both sides of the car (driver's, passenger's) and it seemed to help the passenger's side more than the driver's side, which remains the same.

Try this, get into the driver's seat, close the door. Moderately to Forcefully push the upper left (as you stare directly into the driver's side window) corner of the window and listen for that sticky creaking. Try all along the perimeter of the window and lemme know if you still hear something. I am still convinced my particular noise is coming from within the seal. I was going to spray silicone inside the holes as you did, but I lost the thin tube extension that came w/ my bottle of Silicone.

Pete
Old 07-28-2001, 06:12 PM
Instructor

thanks man! I will give it a go when I have some time! Your sand paper technique seems very reasonable and I assume it should work!

Thanks for the effort!
Old 07-28-2001, 09:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by walker29
Sorry about the dumb hands. Just picked something real quick.
Those hands are awesome. Madden should use those when he draws his NFL diagrams.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:17 AM
Drifting

My driver's door used to creak as well; but one day I noticed that the driver's door does not sit flush against the body! If you stood behind the car looked down the side of the car you can see that the driver's door is ajar by about 1/8" when shut.

I brought the car to the dealer's, and they easily tightened the door by moving the striker and locking assembly a little bit. And it fixed the creaking for good!

PS: Love the hands!
Old 07-29-2001, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by walker29
. Sorry about the dumb hands. Just picked something real quick.
I agree the hands kick a$$