Was this a fair match-up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this a fair match-up?

Hi all,

I just got back from work and ran into some competition on the road.

I was going about 50 on a local road and was being tailgated by what I would later find out to be a Mustang. I'm not sure what year it was, but it was definitely one of those 1980's hatchback stangs. Anyhow, I didn't like that he was tailgating me so I slowed down a bit to 45. As soon as I did that, I saw him swing to the right. Instead of shifting to second first, I floored it for about 3 seconds and THEN shifted it to second. I don't know why I didn't just shift :P. Anyway, he pulls past me rather quickly. I did manage to even out our speeds with my front-end near his rear panel. At this point, we were going about 65-70 mph. After another three seconds, he starts wavering to the left, as he's coming up to a slow-moving SUV, so I pull back and he shoots in front of me. I slow down as he's wavering back and forth and hitting his brakes, I don't know why exactly.

As for his mods, I'm not sure exactly what he had, but his car was friggin loud. His car was also pretty beat up with a fading blue paint job, so it didn't look like he cared much for it.

I know this really wasn't a race, but the fact that he was able to pull ahead of me really ticked me off. Is a 1980-something Mustang really that fast? Or was it the fact that I didn't shift before slamming on the gas?
Old 12-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In another word, You just got smoked!!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you, "this is me".

I hardly race and the only time I ever push my car is to pass someone. I usually mind my own business on the road. For that reason, I've very little experience racing. But this can be remedied.

That's why I made the post. To me, a 1980 Mustang shouldn't be able to pass me so quickly. If it was my fault, great, I can fix that. I can learn how to race, drive faster, or whatever. But if it turns out that my car is performing below the standard TLS, I've got a serious issue.

Soooooo...

Was it wrong for me to floor it for 3 seconds, and then shift to second? Or was that the right thing to do, and my $32,000 investment is seriously underperfoming?
Old 12-13-2002, 07:57 AM
Comptech Freak

u didn't do anything wrong...

don't u know there are a lot of sleepers mustangs out there??
even the base model can choose the 5.0L option and the mods are cheap...
i know some guys with the 5.0L LX has 500+hp with Nos...

i don't feel like to mess up with those...
Old 12-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dang it. I was hoping it was something I did wrong.

But this did happen in a rather affluent neighborhood. Kids here don't really have much to do besides tune their cars.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fortunate
Thank you, "this is me".

I hardly race and the only time I ever push my car is to pass someone. I usually mind my own business on the road. For that reason, I've very little experience racing. But this can be remedied.

That's why I made the post. To me, a 1980 Mustang shouldn't be able to pass me so quickly. If it was my fault, great, I can fix that. I can learn how to race, drive faster, or whatever. But if it turns out that my car is performing below the standard TLS, I've got a serious issue.

Soooooo...

Was it wrong for me to floor it for 3 seconds, and then shift to second? Or was that the right thing to do, and my $32,000 investment is seriously underperfoming?
Sorry to say this but if you dun wanna race dun play around with it. Its better to race and lose than to play around and wondering if you can beat him or not. If you think the space is too tight or you have doubt about it, dun do it. Only race when you're comfortable with it.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I didn't have any doubts about the space, I'm a decent driver and can avoid a bad one. Now that I look back at it, I do feel I was just playing around. I just felt like this kid was getting pushy :p