Extended Warranty - who bought one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 07:12 AM
Intermediate

Extended Warranty - who bought one?

The dealer is charging $1385 for a 7yr-100k. Is there another company that sells a GOOD warranty for less? Bumper-to-bumper, $0 deductible just like the Acura warranty.

Looking for input from anyone who has bought a warranty from a company other than Acura.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:24 AM
The "old" guy

I bought

the same warranty, 7 year 100K. Im not sure now what I paid for it but I think it was in the 1K$ range and that was back in 01 when the TL-S first came out.
Old 03-15-2005 | 08:37 AM
Kollage is funn!

gonna do the same....

anyone know if there's a deductable per visit??
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:54 AM
My baby's daddy

I bought mine from Acura. I have had two major incidents with my car - my rearview mirror exploded and spewed black staining oil all over the passenger seat and center console and my tranny went "See YA!" (also broke a motor mount but that was due to the tranny). While both of these issues should have been covered by the certified used car warranty, the dealer was very accomodating and I have had no trouble getting my perfect car back. I hate to say it but it seams there a few issues with our TL's and you will probably use the warranty. If you have at least two issues, you win.

Here's clark Howard's warranty shpeal: Extended warranties on cars - May 7, 2003
Clark has always said that extended warranties are something you should never buy on appliances, electronics and computers. He’s also said that used home warranties are a great thing to have if you’re selling a home. But you shouldn’t buy one if you’re buying a home. The other item people ask about is cars. Should you buy an extended warranty on a car? Clark is neutral on this because an extended car warranty is not that expensive ($1,000 on average). And the cost of repairs on a car can be very costly. But Smart Money magazine wrote a story about why you should not buy one. Smart Money says that the money you would spend on a warranty is much better off in your pocket. People are going to buy these warranties, though. And, if you do, the magazine recommends that you do three things: 1) Wait until the original warranty expires; 2) Stay with another manufacturer’s warranty; 3) Negotiate the price of the warranty. The dealer will tell you it’s a set price, but it’s not true. There is a huge mark-up on car warranties and you can work it to your advantage.
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:59 AM
Liquid Ice

Try these online places to buy your Acura extended warranty:

http://www.curryacuracare.com/

http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura-care-quote.asp

There was one other that I can't seem to find right now.

The price depends on the age of your car and the current mileage. The longer you wait the more expensive it becomes.

There are both a $50 deductible plan and a $0 deductible plan. The $50 deductible plans are usually around $100 less, so if you think you'll end up showing up at least 2 times with a problem covered by Acura Care, then its worth it to go $0 deductible.

BTW- These two websites sell Acura Care warranties which is a division of Honda/Acura. They are not 3rd party warranties where you pay up front and they reimburse you. You can use this warranty at any Acura dealer and they will honor it.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:55 AM
Racer

Do NOT buy a 3rd party extended warranty!!! I repeat DO NOT! If you want to buy the Acura TLC 7/100 warranty, then do so and you will be fine. I work at a dealership as a service advisor and yes we have Acura as well. I have had complaint after complaint with aftermarket warranties. People spend 2-3 thousand--yes thousands on bumper to bumper 3rd party warranties with a 0 deductible, and almost every time I call for parts approval for MAJOR items, they are not covered. They only cover the SPECIFIC part in the warranty guide and NOTHING else. For instance, one would not cover a throttle body assembly, which is a major part. If you do choose to purchase one, only go with the factory warranty. I have run across many many problems with the 3rd party companies. Stay away from EZ Care, Buyer's Choice, etc. You will have saved yourself a big headache by doing so. I personally did not purchase one on my vehicle, but since I work in a repair facility, I don't really need one. I could go into more examples about why to not go with a 3rd party company, but I'll save the stories and just tell you to avoid them at all costs!
Old 03-15-2005 | 11:10 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

i bought an extended warranty for $1k when i bought my car in Jan of 2004. right now i have to say i am kind of sorry i did.

i had an issue where the leather on my seat was showing signs of cracking and i brought the car in. acura could not fix it at the time and said to bring it back. so time goes on and my factory warranty goes out and i ask them about fixing it and they say it won't be under my extended warranty and i would have to pay for it.

so i proceed to ask the clerk why it wouldn't be covered and she tells me that nothing on the interior is covered under the extended warranty. now the guy i bought the car from swore up and down that everything was covered under the extended warranty. so needless to say i feel a little had right now. but i bet if i dig out the book that tells what is covered it will probably say nothing on the interior is covered.

any thoughts from anyone on this?

SSTS
Old 03-15-2005 | 11:37 AM
Racer

Your initial factory warranty 4/50 is bumper to bumper. On higher end cars like Acura, Infiniti, Jaguar, just about everything is covered except brake pads/rotors and tires. Most will even cover trim items during your initial factory warranty stage; however, your extended warranty (even if its an extended Acura TLC) will not cover items such as interior trim, leather seats, headliner, etc. These items are deemed "normal wear with age" items. Mechanical components such as your HVAC control unit, instrument cluster, etc. will still remain covered. Your extended bumper to bumper will also not cover any kind of hoses-upper and lower breather hoses and notably coolant hoses. There is a slight difference between an initial factory warranty and an extended factory warranty. Be sure to check ahead of time with the extended warranty company on any uncertain coverage before you tell the shop to go ahead with the repair. These "surprise uncovered" items have arisen several times with Jaguars in my shop; and being a service advisor it's not fun calling to tell people these items are not covered.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:14 PM
Intermediate

I did not buy the warranty and have had 87K trouble free miles, except for the Tranny failure (covered by recall) and the rearview mirror started smudging. The manufacture of the mirror sent me out a free replacement!!
Old 03-20-2005 | 12:25 PM
Pro

What do you guys think of Warrany Direct.com? It is a bumper to bumper and wear and tear warranty..unlike Acura Care. It also covers the navi. Do you think this is a good choice?

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
Do NOT buy a 3rd party extended warranty!!! I repeat DO NOT! If you want to buy the Acura TLC 7/100 warranty, then do so and you will be fine. I work at a dealership as a service advisor and yes we have Acura as well. I have had complaint after complaint with aftermarket warranties. People spend 2-3 thousand--yes thousands on bumper to bumper 3rd party warranties with a 0 deductible, and almost every time I call for parts approval for MAJOR items, they are not covered. They only cover the SPECIFIC part in the warranty guide and NOTHING else. For instance, one would not cover a throttle body assembly, which is a major part. If you do choose to purchase one, only go with the factory warranty. I have run across many many problems with the 3rd party companies. Stay away from EZ Care, Buyer's Choice, etc. You will have saved yourself a big headache by doing so. I personally did not purchase one on my vehicle, but since I work in a repair facility, I don't really need one. I could go into more examples about why to not go with a 3rd party company, but I'll save the stories and just tell you to avoid them at all costs!
Old 03-22-2005 | 08:58 PM
Pro

I have warrantybynet, but they decided to void my warranty since i have aftermarket headers installed. I've only paid $967, 0 deductible. 60months/100k. So far i believe i've gotten my moneys worth. I've replaced my alternator and all the struts.
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:26 PM
Left = passing lane

Same boat...My regular warranty is up in July. I've initially contacted two Acura dealerships and they are quoting me a 'special' deal for about $1290 for the 7/100.

I think they can do way better than that... Has anyone had luck in talking these meat puppets down to a reasonable price?
Old 03-23-2005 | 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
...i had an issue where the leather on my seat was showing signs of cracking and i brought the car in. acura could not fix it at the time and said to bring it back. so time goes on and my factory warranty goes out and i ask them about fixing it and they say it won't be under my extended warranty and i would have to pay for it...

any thoughts from anyone on this?

SSTS
I say that if you took it in as a complaint, and they (acura) WROTE A SERVICE TICKET ON THE PROBLEM WHILE YOU WERE STILL UNDER WARRANTY, and told you to return (for whatever reason it was that they could not fix it at the time like you say) you should be able to get it replaced or repaired after the warranty has expired.
Old 03-23-2005 | 09:40 AM
Instructor

I bought mine for $850, $0 deductable too. I got the deal when I purchased the car. Its nice knowing im covered
Old 03-23-2005 | 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
What do you guys think of Warrany Direct.com? It is a bumper to bumper and wear and tear warranty..unlike Acura Care. It also covers the navi. Do you think this is a good choice?
Alot of people bought a warranty from warrantygold a little while back, and all got hosed when the company went belly up. Thats the problem with aftermarket companies like that. They could go belly up at any time with your money in their pockets. Many people found that out the hard way with warrantygold.
Old 03-23-2005 | 08:25 PM
Left = passing lane

Anybody gotten the extended Acura warranty AFTER you bought their vehicle? Like, just before your purchase warranty ran out. What kind of deal did you get?
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NYbsbl04
I bought mine for $850, $0 deductable too. I got the deal when I purchased the car. Its nice knowing im covered
i got mine for $799, 0 dedcuct. it didn't do me any good when my ODPS or whatever that thing made my SRS light lit on.
Old 03-27-2005 | 02:19 AM
Advanced

Exclamation

I bought my extended warranty (7/100K) when I got the car used (at 44,000 miles) from an Acura dealership. I only paid $600. The dealer's computer screen was facing me when he was typing everything in, and I saw that it only costs them around $500... We both laughed about his error (and my quick eyes).

You're getting ripped off if you pay much more than $500!!
Old 03-28-2005 | 09:37 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by stiletto
I say that if you took it in as a complaint, and they (acura) WROTE A SERVICE TICKET ON THE PROBLEM WHILE YOU WERE STILL UNDER WARRANTY, and told you to return (for whatever reason it was that they could not fix it at the time like you say) you should be able to get it replaced or repaired after the warranty has expired.
well the service manager said the same thing and told me to call customer service, which i have been lazy and need to do. I will let you know what happens.

SSTS
Old 03-28-2005 | 08:18 PM
Left = passing lane

Originally Posted by PhxAcura
I bought my extended warranty (7/100K) when I got the car used (at 44,000 miles) from an Acura dealership. I only paid $600. The dealer's computer screen was facing me when he was typing everything in, and I saw that it only costs them around $500... We both laughed about his error (and my quick eyes).

You're getting ripped off if you pay much more than $500!!

I believe that purchase date and mileage play a significant part in the calculations. It is probably a different figure for everyone.

You know, it fairly pisses me off that we have to resort to pointing out the obvious to these con artists. What were they going to charge you before you saw the real figure? Did you get to that point before you agreed to 6 bills? They were probably going to try and double up on you....

Part of me would like to take a chance on my 4 year old near-luxury automobile without buying the extended warranty. My luck, of course, will probably deal me an SRS light or a burnt cat before I'm done with the year

It's enough to piss off the Easter Bunny... :communist