Exhaust Tips, A emblem, Headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Tips, A emblem, Headlight housing

With the tips and OEM kit, can you see where the tips end, or does the rear lip cover the entire tip ? If anyone has a pic or two,

Is the type-s rear 'A' emblem a direct swap of the stock 99-01 'A' ?

Anywhere I can get instructions on the headlight mod, where you open the housing and paint the backlay ?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-21-2002, 09:28 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The tips will tuck and look small. I suggest you get the 3M tips from this site. They are very cheap and screw right on. As far as the A goes, do you want something with the A in the front and a color in the background or do you want the same thing that you already have? If you want the emblem with the color, that will have adhesive behind it and will stick right where the old a was. But if you want an original emblem just order one from the dealer or see if tim from auto car parts can get them for you. If you are planning on using the A emblem anywhere else on the car other than the trunk(grill might be the same emblem) than forget it, because it has two little prongs sticking out. You can break those off easily though.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:29 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i forgot. I believe Songoku has the black housing, just do a search and you will find it.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by bigman
i forgot. I believe Songoku has the black housing, just do a search and you will find it.
Thanks, found it. Im clueless about paints. Songoku mentioned using "PPG DBU 2-stage w/clearcoat", but I'm guessing any paint would work ? Here are the instructions if anyone else in interested, (sounds a little risky):

Here is an instruction....
How do you clear your headlights?
Equipment needed:
- hair dryer/heat gun
- large flat head s.c.r.e.w driver
- RTV silicone sealant
- about 4 hours of time
- lotta patience

To remove the orange strip inside the headlight assembly, you have to pry apart the clear front part of the headlight from the back part. After the two pieces are apart, you can remove/break off the orange reflector. After that you have to seal the two back together.

Before beginning, line your car up facing a wall and turn on the headlights. Then mark where the beams hit the wall, so it will easier to adjust them to the proper angle. Take off bumper.
Remove headlights.
Begin by taking the hair dryer/heat gun (on low) to heat up the adhesive that seals the two pieces together. Just slowly heat along the seam of the two pieces to soften up the adhesive. Once it has softened a bit, you can insert a flat head s.c.r.e.w driver into the seam and slowly try to pry apart the two pieces.
Leave the s.c.r.e.w driver in between the pieces and slowly heat along the rest of the seam moving the s.c.r.e.w driver along as you go. Make sure that you soften the adhesive enough and that you work SLOWLY!!
When prying the two pieces apart, you may hear loud crunching noises from the plastic. I can't emphasize enough that you need to take your time.
After the two pieces are apart, you can remove the orange reflector from the headlight assembly. Make sure you do not touch the chrome type reflector or else you will leave fingerprints. If you do happen to touch the reflector, just clean it off w/ some rubbing alcohol or something.
Next thing to do is put the pieces back together. You will need to scrape off most of the remaining adhesive from the seams so that you can get a clean bond. Spread a small bead of the silicone along the seams and press together. Use some tape or something to keep the two pieces together. After about 15 minutes, run a bead of silicone around the outside of the seam to really get it water tight. Make sure not to use big gobs of it, or else the headlight might not fit quite well back into the bumper.
Do the same thing for the other side.
You should let them dry overnight. Do not use heat to try and dry them faster, because the heat will sorta liquify the silicone. The silicone needs to air cure.
Reinstall the headlights/bumper.
I think you could use a Dremel type tool to take the two pieces apart, but I haven't seen anyone do it
Old 03-21-2002, 12:51 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by payyourtoll

Thanks, found it. Im clueless about paints. Songoku mentioned using "PPG DBU 2-stage w/clearcoat", but I'm guessing any paint would work ?
YES!!!
I am sure you can use any kind of spray can to paint the housing.