exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust and intake

This is probably a butchered and overly-referred to topic, but which exhaust kit is best for the tL? Everyone gets the Comptechs, but it's not even a catback, just the rear section/mufflers. I kinda wanted a full onsystem with like 3" of piping or something. If all else fails I guess I could just get the Comptechs and go to a muffler shop and get custom 3" mandrel tubing. Any suggestions?

Nearly everybody with intake on their inspire gets the AEM CAI, but I've always been a fan of Injen. Is there anybody with an Injen that can give some good advice? Thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 04:28 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the injen and have heard cars with the aem. They are both very similar. The injen starts to make a little more noise sooner in the rpm band, but that could juts be the filter. I have heard the HKS, comtech, apexi, and tannabe on the TL or cl. The comptech is nice, deep and not too loud. The Apexi is loud and obnoxious. The Tannabe sounds loud and drones alot. The HKS sounds like a tuned down Ferrari, especially with the intake. Its deep and hums as you drive along, and when you get on it, it screams like a tuned car would. I personally lovethe sound of the HKS over them all, just because it makes the car sound mean and not like a 4 banger. The comtech is just a quieter version of the HKS so either one is fine. HKS VIDEO CLIP WITH SOUND

INJEN INTAKE VIDEO WITH SOUND
Old 09-15-2002, 02:39 AM
Racer

You can listen to my GReddy MX when we have another meet next time.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:32 AM
Intermediate

"The Apexi is loud and obnoxious" sorry bigman your wrong on this. The Apexi exhaust sounds good, louder then the comptech but not loud like most apex exhausts. Bigman you don't know what your talking about i am gauranteed you never heard the apexi exhaust on a tl before. No one has cuz the apexi exhaust tim sells on this website isn't even for the tl, its for the Accord. The Apexi exhaust for the TL isn't even out yet, as of now i'm the only person with the apexi exhaust, it was prototyped on my car and put on a month ago.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:20 AM
Instructor

hmm . . exhaust is the next mod in mind for me but dang so much to choose from . . . HhAhAH i would like to hear how they all sound in person . . HhAhA. im leaning more towards the HKS because im lookin for the ferari, bmw type of sound.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:24 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by illusions
"The Apexi is loud and obnoxious" sorry bigman your wrong on this. The Apexi exhaust sounds good, louder then the comptech but not loud like most apex exhausts. Bigman you don't know what your talking about i am gauranteed you never heard the apexi exhaust on a tl before. No one has cuz the apexi exhaust tim sells on this website isn't even for the tl, its for the Accord. The Apexi exhaust for the TL isn't even out yet, as of now i'm the only person with the apexi exhaust, it was prototyped on my car and put on a month ago.
Actually i do know what i am talking about. He is talking about just mufflers, and i have heard a 02 TL-s with Apexi mufflers, and it sounds loud and raspy. Just ask the guys that went to the Jersey Shore meet, they heard them. They may not be the mufflers on your car, but they were apexi's and they sounded like sh*t. Please dont assume that i never heard them or dont know what i am talking about. Even though i am expressing my opinions on the sound, that doesnt mean i dont have the facts to beack them. I've been on this board for a while and never talk out of my a$$. Other veterans can attest to that.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know whats the best exhaust out there for the TL is. But for me, the Tanabe "Super" Hyper Medallion was the best exhaust. Why?? Because its the only cat-back that will fit on your TL and is 100% Stainless Steel. Its almost like a straight pipe. No restriction box (you know the small little muffler in the middle).
The Hyper Medallion has the restriction box and is not Stainless Steel, so Remember to look for the SUPER version if you are interested in the Tanabes.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Intermediate

But the HKS, it doesn't come with piping does it? It'd have to be fitted with custom mandrel piping correct?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Sorry Bigman din't mean to offend you. I just don't like when people talk crap about an exhaust i have on my car. Bigman might be right on the apexi muffler. But if you wanted to get the entire catback system it sounds great. Just to put my 2 cents in on the matter. I would say that the Apexi sounds like the comptech exhaust just louder, its if you had the comptech muffler and took your resonator off.