EBC pads okay without OEM shims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
EBC pads okay without OEM shims?

Hey..

Just installed my Rotoras and EBC Greenstuff pads. It was recommended that I re-install the OEM pad shims when throwing on the EBC pads to help prevent a bit of (possible) squeal. The fronts were no prob, but the rear didn't appear to be in good shape, so that set was installed without shims. Are there any pros or cons to not having done this? I have no probs picking up some rear shims from Honda/Acura if there are definite advantages/reasons for throwing them on. Input would be appreciated! (Have you guys left out the shims or put them back on when switching over to aftermarket pads?)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
u dont need the shims, EBC dont have any metal in them, so shims wouldnt make it quietter, but if you really do want to use shims, get FREE shims from EBC themselves.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
and yes, on occasion Rotora/EBC combo will squeal...but hell, i rather stop on a dime then to be ultra quiet, lol.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by teknoking
and yes, on occasion Rotora/EBC combo will squeal...but hell, i rather stop on a dime then to be ultra quiet, lol.
damn right...my brakes a shit load louder than stock, but holy crap do they ever stop the car quickly. Pretty much anytime you're going less than 25 MPH, you can stop the car on the spot. The force that these pads and rotors can handle is amazing. You can actually feel the pad grabbing and completely stopping the car on the spot....

I think that anyone with a TL should definitely replace their stock rotors and pads with the Rotora/EBC combo. I have the irotors, but truly the rotors do nothing, it's all about the bite that the EBC's can provide...
Old 10-10-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by teknoking
u dont need the shims, EBC dont have any metal in them, so shims wouldnt make it quietter, but if you really do want to use shims, get FREE shims from EBC themselves.
Not a sound from my set-up yet, although I've only had them on for two days! :P How am I able to get 'free' shims from EBC? Previously, I sent them three emails without a single response! Their website only lists a few email addys...no phone number.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Not a sound from my set-up yet, although I've only had them on for two days! :P How am I able to get 'free' shims from EBC? Previously, I sent them three emails without a single response! Their website only lists a few email addys...no phone number.
if your brakes dont make any noise then dont worry about the shims.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you eventually get those shims? If so, how? Thanks!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Yes, ended up getting and using OEM shims to throw on the rear set of EBCs. Just got them from the dealer. Some claimed EBCs come with 'em, but apparently mine didn't. ?? Also, the installer didn't throw on the rear pads properly, which caused them to hit the rotor from the top of the pad only! They wore quite a bit at the top and the middle-bottom of the pad was brand new. Noticed that when I had the shims put on ~a month after the initial install.

Rear/Right/Inner pad is still causing a squeal. This is the pad that was hitting the rotor the most unevenly when first installed (as mentioned above). Pads were sanded down so they could wear evenly. Doesn't seem to happen each time I brake though, so can't figure out the culprit. When it does happens, also stops once I've braked past a certain pressure.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes, ended up getting and using OEM shims to throw on the rear set of EBCs. Just got them from the dealer. Some claimed EBCs come with 'em, but apparently mine didn't. ?? Also, the installer didn't throw on the rear pads properly, which caused them to hit the rotor from the top of the pad only! They wore quite a bit at the top and the middle-bottom of the pad was brand new. Noticed that when I had the shims put on ~a month after the initial install.

Rear/Right/Inner pad is still causing a squeal. This is the pad that was hitting the rotor the most unevenly when first installed (as mentioned above). Pads were sanded down so they could wear evenly. Doesn't seem to happen each time I brake though, so can't figure out the culprit. When it does happens, also stops once I've braked past a certain pressure.
Probably because they didn't shave off the tabs on the back. I had the same problem on my Hawk HP Plus pads, but I was skeptical when putting them in (seller said it was okay), so I double checked everything in a couple of days, and sure enough, the tabs were hitting the caliper pistons, applying the pads at an angle. I hope you didn't use the same pads when you caught the problem.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Probably because they didn't shave off the tabs on the back. I had the same problem on my Hawk HP Plus pads, but I was skeptical when putting them in (seller said it was okay), so I double checked everything in a couple of days, and sure enough, the tabs were hitting the caliper pistons, applying the pads at an angle. I hope you didn't use the same pads when you caught the problem.
Nope..the initial installer did not cut the tabs....However, when I went to a buddy of mine to check out what was going on - he DID grind them down. And you are correct, the pad was not hitting the rotor dead-on...just the top of the pad was pushed towards the rotor. Yes, we used the same rear pads....we just sanded the inner pads down until the surface was flat and even so the entire pad would hit the surface. Definitely shortened the life of my rear inner pad though since we had to sand it down.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nope..the initial installer did not cut the tabs....However, when I went to a buddy of mine to check out what was going on - he DID grind them down. And you are correct, the pad was not hitting the rotor dead-on...just the top of the pad was pushed towards the rotor. Yes, we used the same rear pads....we just sanded the inner pads down until the surface was flat and even so the entire pad would hit the surface. Definitely shortened the life of my rear inner pad though since we had to sand it down.
Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure you weren't using unevenly surfaced pads.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, time to shave them off now... maybe finish by 1am
Old 06-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone use the EBC rotors with the Greenstuff pads?