E-brake Warning Light Problem & Cause

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post E-brake Warning Light Problem & Cause

I took my 2000TL in for 30K service the other day as I posted in the 30K service post. I also had this problem with the car for 2 days before I took it in for service. When I started the car for the 1st time after sitting overnight . The E-BRAKE WARNING LIGHT would stay on after releasing the brake. I always set the brake when parked. On the 1st day of this problem I had to stop & set & release the brake about 3times to get the light to go out. I did not have this problem after a restart of the car after getting to my destination & leaving again or during the rest of my time driving that day. I made my appt for service with ACURA & told them about this problem. On the 2nd say it happen again when the car was 1st started up. It took about 2 miles for the light to go out. I did the same stop & release thing as the day before. I also notice that after it went out it came back on when I pushed the regular foot brake pedal when stoping. It only did this one time & not again that day when driving. I had already checked fluid level & it was okay. I took it in for service the next mourning & again the same thing & about the same driving miles until it went out. The E- BRAKE CABLE was very loose & with the 30K service the brakes were inspected & cleaned. On the next day after service the same thing happen 1st thing when I started the car. I put about 260 miles on the car that day & must have set the E-brake at least 20 times that day with all the places I had to go. The light only stayed on that one time & that was as I said when I 1st started the car. I called ACURA service back & told the what was going on. The service advisor said it might be a switch & he checked to see if he had that part in stock. The advisor said I could bring the car in 1st the next mourning. The next mourning it did the same thing but this time stayed on for 12 miles before it went out. The dealership is about 21 miles from my house. This time it also would come on & go out when I pushed the brake pedal. It did not do this everytime only when pedal was pushed hard or moderate. The final out come of the problem I hope was MASTER CYLINDER FLOAT LEVEL was not working properly. SERVICE REPLACED THE MASTER CYLINDER CAP under warranty. I started the car this mourning & the BRAKE LIGHT went out like normal.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Post PROBLEM MAYBE BACK AGAIN AFTER 5 MONTHS

The E-BRAKE LIGHT stayed ON again even after I fully released it the other mourning. The temp outside was 18 degrees when I started the car. This was the lowest temp here in D.C. sofar this season. But this also was the first time that I had a problem with this light since they fixed it back in July of this year. I always set my parking brake. The light did go out after I drove a distance of about 2 miles. When I restarted the car the light went out as normal when I released the parking brake. I also stoped to get gas very shortly after the 1st stop & had NO problem with the light afterI set the brake. I did not set the brake when I returned home as we were expecting snow that night. When I cleaned the car of snow I started the car & had no problems with the light. But if you read my other post from 5 months ago you will see the problem I had. Someone else on here also had the same exact problem a few months back. I gave them the cause of the problem & the fix from the dealer. They never reported back if they got it fixed or still had it. I will keep you posted if my problem continues again. I will take it back to the dealer to have them look at it again as the car is still under warranty.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I have the same problem with my car on old mornings, the ac tech said i might have a bulb out and I did but that bulb has been out since summer. I replaceed the bulb. The problem still happened and he knew the problem was the cap on the master cylinder. HE said it sometimes sticks on old mornings so I will see if it stops when the new cap comes
Old 12-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by dnd2984
I have the same problem with my car on old mornings, the ac tech said i might have a bulb out and I did but that bulb has been out since summer. I replaceed the bulb. The problem still happened and he knew the problem was the cap on the master cylinder. HE said it sometimes sticks on old mornings so I will see if it stops when the new cap comes
Old mornings?? or cold morning??
My bro's 00camry is the same too. Just notice it this morning.First i thought he forgot to release the E brake. But when i ask him , he said its like that because its cold. He also said because of the indigo gauge that he got. it somehow messed up the light on cold weather.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got 51k on my '99 TL now and this is the first time I've had this problem with the e-brake light coming on after using it over a cold night. Never happened before even with colder winters than now (granted I'm in Florida and it doesn't get that cold). Hasn't been colder than 30degF at night so far.

Mine will stay lit for the first 4 minutes of driving then go out. But a couple more minutes later into the trip it'd come back on and go out a few minutes later. It's very annoying. I'm going to the dealer soon for some warrenty work and I'm definitely going to mention it and see what they say/do.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GUYS i had the same problem for the past 2 days....51k on my 99tl i FIGURED IT OUT! its nothing really...this is what to do (or what happened with mine) pop your hood..locate the grey cap where our brake fluid is..there should be 2 wires(black) connected to the cap.. make sure that the wires are completly TOGETHER...if they r even slightly disconnected the sensor will go off and ur light will go on...hope this helps