Driver's seat getting ugly...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Happy with my STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's seat getting ugly...

I bought my car in January 2003 and already I can start to see that my seat is becoming noticeably worn out when compared to the passenger one. There is this really annoying line on it, before the perforated leather on the butt area, and leather seems to start getting really wrinkled and stuff. Anyone with same problems?
Old 12-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Instructor

This is a common problem on the TLs. I have this problem 6 months after I got my car. You can take it to Acura to have it re-wrap but you may dislike it even more.

Here is my experience:
I took mine back to the dealer with the same problem you are describing. No problem, they ordered new leather and schedule a day for me to have it done. After getting the re-wrapped leather, I noticed that it was not as smooth as the passenger side. They told me it should smooth out.. NOPE.. I called customer service and they said they would order another one. Same problem after the 2nd replacement (3 visits within 4 weeks). I called CS again and what they ended up doing was giving me new driver seat from a brand new TLs on the lot.

Morale of the story.. I am noticing wrinkle again on my driver seat and I am not complaining... Not after that ordeal and beside, there aren't anymore brand new 03 TLs on the lot for them to swap seats.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2003 TL-P (purchased November 2002) and my driver's seat has some tiny blisters on the butt area area already. I am not heavy as I only weigh 140lbs. I'm guessing in a couple months from now, the blisters will only get larger and start to spread. I am hoping my Acura dealer will replace the leather cover under warranty when this problem gets worse. I condition my leather seats once a month with Meguairs and this just shows that the TL leather is crap. The leather also tends to dry out really fast after I condition it. Also, I really hate how wrinkly the leather looks on the TL because it seems like they pleated it.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:45 AM
10th Gear

Yep, I had same problem. Replaced driver seat twice already. I gave up on the seat. Weird thing is, if I don't drive the car for a day, the seat does stretch out to an extent, only small bubble remains. I already had a talk with my service guy to replace seat at the end of the warrantee....hopefully right before I trade in my TLS for other another car. I just decided to accept the fact that leather is an unfortunate result of cutting cost in making TLS a such a great value overall.

Oh, by the way, I have a friend with MB C240, with about same age as my car, also suffering from the bubbled seat. His wife drives the car and she barely weights 100lbs. So I don't think the weight of the driver has to with this problem. I think it's the design. Look at A4. The bottom support is made of mutiple stiches or multiple of small pieces, not a one whole surface leather as in TLS.

Anywayz, the sound of the VTEC always makes me forget about the problem...hehe.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:46 AM
Banned

I take care of my seats on a reg. basis with Lexol products.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the A-spec and also notice this problem with the leather. I find that after cleaning and conditioning with mother's leather products, the leather looks as if it's stiffened up, and much tighter around the edges. After a couple days of being used, the leather goes back to the way it was. My driver's seat also looks like crap. I mean after conditioning it, it looks ok, but when it needs conditioning, you can see ware marks all over the part that I sit on.

Next time I go to Acura I'll mention this to them. Hopefully they'll replace my seat free of charge.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Racer

I have noticed the leather on the Acura need much more regular care than most leather in car's. It seems to dry out much faster (even with regular conditioning). I clean it once a month and dress it once a week or once every other week depending on when I notice it loses it's sheen. My back seats don't get much use (read not butts on em) so I just do them on the monthly cycle - but the fronts i need to keep up weekly. It may have to do with the windsheild and cabin design, seems to beam the sun right on the interior and seats (even in winter).
Old 12-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Rock Star

yup it happens but u need to keep the leather treated and clean
Old 12-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by vtec 6300
I have a 2003 TL-P (purchased November 2002) and my driver's seat has some tiny blisters on the butt area area already. I am not heavy as I only weigh 140lbs. I'm guessing in a couple months from now, the blisters will only get larger and start to spread. I am hoping my Acura dealer will replace the leather cover under warranty when this problem gets worse. I condition my leather seats once a month with Meguairs and this just shows that the TL leather is crap. The leather also tends to dry out really fast after I condition it. Also, I really hate how wrinkly the leather looks on the TL because it seems like they pleated it.
dont use Meguairs it sucks i dont like how it looks, use Lexol cleaner and conditioner i believe the bottle colors are brown and orange. i use it and it last for a while. its great. i use it mosty for the front seats because of more use than the back..