does your tl shutter alittle bit when idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does your tl shutter alittle bit when idle?

mine sometimes shudders just a little bit when Idle. it is small shudder but it is noticable? any body else have that prob or and suggestions...?
Old 10-15-2001, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Yes I have felt it also... sort of a very subtle rocking motion. I think this is due to the fluids in the engine shock mounts allowing the engine to sway back and forth, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem when i first got my car,but 2200 miles later it doenst happen anymore.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:47 PM
Banned

Although this is my first Honda, the idle is definitely rougher than some other cars I've owned, but only when cold. Particularly, my '97 Maxima SE has a silky smooth idle. Now this is all a matter of perspective. My TL-S still idles smoother than some older 90s GM cars, but compared to some newer imports, it is rough. But I'm already used to it--doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Yes I notice also that when the car is cold it may vibrate a little bit, once it warms up it is quite smooth.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Yeah, when I first got my car I was worried about it and mentioned it to the dealer. They said that the TLS have rough idles. My car now has 6k miles and the idle is a lil bit smoother.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:11 PM
Racer

I thought that it was just me. my car has 10833 miles and has been doing this more than before i got it cause it never did it when i first got it. Thanks Goodness
Old 10-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Racer

I have the same issue sometimes, but I notice it mainly when I'm in SS mode. When I approach a stop, it drops to 1st gear, then a few seconds later, it almost "jumps" and then settles into a smoother idle.

I'm still going to ask about it next time I take it in - I'm not sure if what I'm describing is the same thing that you're experiencing.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Racer

thebeaud I know exactly what you are describing.
This behavior makes me think the car is quite hard to control in tight traffic. Everytime I get stuck in the highway traffic and think that I bring the car down to almost a stop, it will jump forward a little bit more. Scared the crap out of me a few times. Now I have to stop the car a few feet before I usually stop my car.

Also the car maintains it speed for a long long time w/o gas, when I am crusing around 70, I can leave the gas pedal along for almost a minute w/o having the car slowing down! This is good if there are no traffic, but if there is traffic, I have to brake harder than I would like to. Can't just slide to a stop, quite annoying in heavy traffic.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thebeaud
I have the same issue sometimes, but I notice it mainly when I'm in SS mode. When I approach a stop, it drops to 1st gear, then a few seconds later, it almost "jumps" and then settles into a smoother idle.
This problem is *not* related to the rough cold idle. This is, however, something that many people have posted about in the past. This is due to the A/C compressor kicking in and causing the engine RPMs to jump to accomodate the load. The RPM jump causes the car to surge forward slightly. Although somewhat alarming/annoying at first, it is completely normal for these cars. And because the RPMs are now higher the idle may seem "smoother."
Old 10-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Racer

Thanks alient and pianoman41 for your responses. It's always comforting to know the things one encounters are shared by others. While it may be "normal" or "acceptable" - this and the "thumping" sound I hear when I start the vehicle (in other postings), just doesn't seem.....right.

The explanations provided in both cases are completely logical and reasonable. And while I realize I'm not driving a top-of-the-line, outrageously expensive vehicle - it just seems like these are things that shouldn't be happening.

I don't know - someone gets in my car and thinks "wow". Then I start it and there's a big thump; I plug something into the NAV and the voice cuts off the first few words (another known complaint); then I come to a stop and the car lunges forward.

Again, I realize these things are minor - and don't get me wrong - I LOVE this car. I've just never experienced these minor nuances with other new cars.

Thanks again....
Old 10-16-2001, 06:16 AM
j83
Pro

just a lil question

the vibration your talking bout is it felt only when at idle?
i have never felt this slight shaking when it idles,
and it seemed to happen after the cai at around 5000 miles dont know
but when i am at the driver seat you can feel a slight vibration
its like pulsing in and then leaves and the bout another 2 secs it comes back in, and out
barely felt you wouldnt know its there but if you pay close attention you sit there you can feel it.....
when the car is in motion smooth no probs,
its not a big deal but just would like to know if this is what everyone is talkin bout?
Old 10-16-2001, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

thanks alot guys

it makes me feel alittle bitter that I am not the only one with the problem. I had a 94 prelude before this car all tricked out and was still more smoothe than the "luxury" car at idle. I always thought it was a problem and took it to 2 dealers about it and they always said there is nothing wrong. What they wrote they did was "Tested vehicle vibration with new tl" I guess they know what I am talking about it and don't want to tell me that it is normal on this luxury car to feel.

I don't know about any of you guys but I find it a little annoying.. a:p

Is there anything else that you guys feel that is not good or feel is a problem with the car?

Old 10-16-2001, 10:17 PM
Racer

i have felt it also but only when in park and only if on a slight incline. i think what you are feeling is that the engine does rock forwards and back kinda shakes a little at idle. when you put it in park and take your foot off the brake the car will sometimes roll slightly until the park locking mechinism stops the car from rollong. now you have an engine that is still virbating but transmitting that rocking motion to the wheels witch causes the shacking sensation you feel. if you put the car in neutral and step on the brake the vibration is gone. also if you are in gear there is no vibration. does this sound like the problem any of you are describing?

i have also notices the vibration when comming to a stop the engine feels like it is going to stall out. i think this is because the torque convertor dosn't actually unlock untill it has to right before a stop.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:27 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Have your Service folks check out the ELD (Electronic Lowspeed Detection) circuit. They disabled mine and I've had no problems since.

They got the fix recommendation from the Acura Techline folks.

RUF
Old 10-18-2001, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

thats good to know ruf87 thanx

Old 10-18-2001, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear

I've experienced my 2002 TL jumping forward as some of you have described. It happened all at once, meaning I had not experienced the problem at all until driving home from work one night. As I was pulling off the highway, the car jumped forward as I let my foot off the gas and kept doing the same. At a stop light, I put the car in N and watched in disbelief as the tach jumped from 1000 RPM to 2000 back to 1000, over and over and over again. I had the car towed to the local dealership. They found a bad idle sensor and replaced it.

Car does not "jump" anymore, but when starting it cold, it definetly starts with a thump.

Also, low gear (automatic) shifting has always been too rough for my taste. (Previous auto was a Maxima SE - smooth as silk - that transmission probably spoiled me).

TLT
Old 10-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Instructor

YAP! Shudder is normal! Actually, every car does that..
my friend (who own a Vigor) refer this shudder as
"Car needs to fart too u know"

hehe
Old 10-19-2001, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

damn then how can I let the gas out for it to fart already