does tint really help with heat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does tint really help with heat?

Ok, I know that tint will make my car look cooler, but will it feel cooler? Summer is here and I already noticed dry/cracked leather in my backseat. My car sits outside 24/7 (I'm a college student living in apts). I'm afraid worse will come. I need to know, will tint help my situation? This is the only way I can justify spending 200 on some tint. I can't do it simply for cosmetics.

If your response is yes, tint will keep your car significantly cooler, please help me decide on which brand.

I have read about Llumar polarized tint, and that many are happy with it. Does it have a slight reflectiveness to it? I'm looking for something in that style.

And Quantum, I searched and saw pics of a laguna green (forgot who's) with this tint. It had some nice reflectiveness in it.

Also, should I get mirror tint? It looks nice, but I'd be afraid to get 35% (tx legal limit) because it might be too "mirrorry."

Thanks for reading my lengthy post. I really do need yalls help though!

edit: a side note, i dont have navi so im not worried about the metallic tint
Old 05-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, tints do help cut down on the heat. I know so because if I roll down the window, my arm burns and if I roll it up, it feels cooler also one of those front windshield shades will help tons too... even more than the tints. I definitely recommend one of them.

as for tints .. I have solargards they seem nice. the fancy tint takes long to dry out with their bubbles tho. I've recently seen a new one called 'formula1' at my installers... they promise no bubbling even out the door :wow: good luck
Old 05-22-2002, 10:28 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

quantums baby. That shiet cuts lotta heats!!!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Advanced

I'm also considering a more cost effective method using 4 of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1732685850

Old 05-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: does tint really help with heat?

Originally posted by TLDanny

I have read about Llumar polarized tint, and that many are happy with it. Does it have a slight reflectiveness to it? I'm looking for something in that style.

Also, should I get mirror tint? It looks nice, but I'd be afraid to get 35% (tx legal limit) because it might be too "mirrorry."

i have the Llumar titanium tint, which is the slight reflectiveness youre talking about. its got a slight greenish-color "mirrorry" look to it...its not the smoke (AKA black) tint.

i personally would not get the total mirror tint because it reminds me of the 80's to early 90's look, which is obviously out of style. i would go with either what i have (titanium tint) or the smoke tint.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm also considering a more cost effective method using 4 of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1732685850

LOL!!! Make sure you show off that mod at the meets.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:30 AM
...and then there was One

I'm not sure what brand I've got, but I would say to choose your installer wisely. That makes a big difference. I'll try and stop by to see what brand mine is.
When I had my windows done, it was nice. Kept it cool... didn't take too long for the AC to make it comfortable when you first get in it after it's been sitting in the sun all day.
THEN, I got the windshield tinted. Wow! Now it is very cool inside. It's 50%. If that's not legal where you live (75% is legal here), then definitely get the windows tinted, and a shield for the front for when you park it.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:32 AM
Racer

Tint works really well in cutting the heat.

I'm never going to have a tintless car.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:36 AM
Instructor

tint helps a lot... not to mention how much it makes the car look better... it's a must i think
Old 05-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Advanced

A lot of the damage that is done to the interior is caused by UV rays. Most of the popular brands boast that it will cut out 99% of the UV rays. I'm getting my windows done in SolarGard tomorrow. Just don't get a dyed film. I had my windows tinted on a black Civic once, and it did help some with the heat. I'm getting my TL tinted so my kid doesn't burn up in the back seat because of the slant of the rear window.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:52 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that my tint has left my interior very cool on really hot summer days and has kept the leather in my 99 in good condition. Plus it makes the body of the car stand out because it cuts off the extra visuals of the interiors. People only see the outside. Tints will make the car look really nice and give you a little privacy.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: does tint really help with heat?

Ok, I know that tint will make my car look cooler, but will it feel cooler? Summer is here and I already noticed dry/cracked leather in my backseat. My car sits outside 24/7 (I'm a college student living in apts). I'm afraid worse will come. I need to know, will tint help my situation? This is the only way I can justify spending 200 on some tint. I can't do it simply for cosmetics.

If your response is yes, tint will keep your car significantly cooler, please help me decide on which brand.

And Quantum, I searched and saw pics of a laguna green (forgot who's) with this tint. It had some nice reflectiveness in it.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post. I really do need yalls help though!

edit: a side note, i dont have navi so im not worried about the metallic tint
Depends on what you mean by "cooler". If you think it will be cool enough to not have to use the A/C, then you'll be dissappointed. A good tint will cut down on the UV rays from the sun. UV rays hurt your interior more than the heat. It will help dissapate some heat also.

I have 35% llumar on my TL, and had 35% Johnson tint on my last car ('93 Vigor).

My Vigor had black leather interior, and I think that the tint helped the A/C keep the car cooler.

I've been happy with both brands. Some of the cheaper tints turn purple with age, I didn't notice any of that in my Vigor which had the tints for close to six years. The tints on my TL are only a year old.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

The most important thing is, as some have mentioned above, is a quality installer. A quality installer/shop will have high quality tint and back it up with a lifetime guarantee. Llumar, 3M, Formula 1 are all good tints to go with. Some say that if you go too dark (i.e. 5%, "limo") it will actually decrease the effectiveness of "cooling" your car. Also make sure they do your back windown in one piece. I have heard many people get theirs done in two pieces and you can see an overlap line. THat would bother the sh!t out of me. But if you are going with 35% I think you will see a world of a difference. I did, and I am in Arizona. There is no way I could own a car without tinted windows.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Advanced

I have had 2 pieces on the back window before. I could not see the difference because they cut it to match the defroster lines. I would recommend 1 piece though. Less chance of peeling.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jofunk
I have had 2 pieces on the back window before. I could not see the difference because they cut it to match the defroster lines. I would recommend 1 piece though. Less chance of peeling.
I don't think tint comes in rolls big enough to cover the back windshield in one piece. Think about all the different kinds of cars out there guys and the different size windshields. I think that all of it is done in more than one piece. The difference is that the quality installers cut along the defroster line as JPFUNK said. As opposed to the jobs I've seen where you see the overlap.

I've never had a peeling problem in either of my past two cars with tints.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a tint job you will be happy with results.
I have a lighter tint then most here because of tint laws.
Even with my tint I am still not legal with my car.
I got 51% on the rear & 50% is legal for a passenger cars in Washington D.C. but I put 45% on the sides. Remember the TL already has green heat rejecting glass from the factory. Any tint you put on will make the glass slightly darker. But even the lighter shade blocks out 99% of the UV ray from the sun. This is what burns you. The darker tint just limit what you can see inside the car when looking in. Some of the real dark stuff limits what you can see looking out. If you get 35% all around you will be good.
I have the JOHNSON window film on the sides now & Madico on the rear. I got two kind because for me to pass inspection I had to take the 50% off the sides. I had it on for 2yrs. I had the sides retinted & they put on JOHNSON this time. They did not have the 51% so I got the 45% & it matches well with the back. But here are some facts about tint from JOHNSON #1 blocks scorching heat #2 reduces damaging fading #3 improves comfort #4 increase safety# control annoying glare. www.johnsonwindowfilms.com
Old 05-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FTM-1
Remember the TL already has green heat rejecting glass from the factory. Any tint you put on will make the glass slightly darker. But even the lighter shade blocks out 99% of the UV ray from the sun. This is what burns you. The darker tint just limit what you can see inside the car when looking in. Some of the real dark stuff limits what you can see looking out. If you get 35% all around you will be good.
Excellent point. Initially I was confused why my TL looked so much darker than my Vigor did since they both had 35% tint. Someone on this board reminded me of the glass on the TLs. My brother was recently pulled over with 50%, so I figure I'm on borrowed time.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by goaub

I don't think tint comes in rolls big enough to cover the back windshield in one piece. Think about all the different kinds of cars out there guys and the different size windshields. I think that all of it is done in more than one piece. The difference is that the quality installers cut along the defroster line as JPFUNK said. As opposed to the jobs I've seen where you see the overlap.

no, my installer did the rear in one piece...i know this because i asked him that Q before i went to him.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Advanced

sounds great fellas. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Upon some searching though, I read people have had tinters put a black vinyl strip across the back. What is the purpose of this? It had something to do with the dotmatrix but I dont understand why it's done...?
Old 05-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Banned

Upon some searching though, I read people have had tinters put a black vinyl strip across the back. What is the purpose of this? It had something to do with the dotmatrix but I dont understand why it's done...?
It's done because many tint shops claim the tint won't stick well over the dot matrix and will eventually bubble and/or peel. Some tint shops will tint over it and have had no problems. It all depends on where you go. If the tint shop won't tint over it, some don't like the looks of the tint stopping 7/8's of the way up the window, so they put the vinyl across it to look like tint. Supposed to be more durable that way....
Old 05-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you want something cheaper then....

get one of those sun shade/reflector things that block the sun and keeps the heat out. Go here, http://www.acura-tl.com/search/resul...id=accessories

Check out the Sun Shade. Ask Tim if its one piece or more.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Advanced

yeh i have one of those shades. it's kinda small though and slips a lot. whatever. I'll be deciding on my tint soon.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Advanced

I just brought my TLS into the shop to get tinted. They said that they would go ahead and tint over the dot matrix and if it starts to bubble, they would cut it off. They will be using one sheet for the back window. The legal tint for MN is 50%, but they are going to do 38% all around. I was originally going to do 50% on the front and 38% the rest, but they said that it would look better if it was all the same. I am getting the SolarGard True Grey. Anyone used that coor yet?
Old 05-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Oregon/Washington Tinters

Hey SimTypeS,
Where'd you get your tint done? I just go my TL-S and first thing I want to do is get it tinted. I'm in Portland, so vancouver isn't too far. Also, how much did it cost? THanks~!

Originally posted by SimTypeS
I'm not sure what brand I've got, but I would say to choose your installer wisely. That makes a big difference. I'll try and stop by to see what brand mine is.
When I had my windows done, it was nice. Kept it cool... didn't take too long for the AC to make it comfortable when you first get in it after it's been sitting in the sun all day.
THEN, I got the windshield tinted. Wow! Now it is very cool inside. It's 50%. If that's not legal where you live (75% is legal here), then definitely get the windows tinted, and a shield for the front for when you park it.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:51 PM
...and then there was One

Re: Oregon/Washington Tinters

Originally posted by parvo99
Hey SimTypeS,
Where'd you get your tint done? I just go my TL-S and first thing I want to do is get it tinted. I'm in Portland, so vancouver isn't too far. Also, how much did it cost? THanks~!

Well, my dealer (Acura of Portland) had the windows tinted, and I admit I do not know where, although I doubt it would be hard to find out. I got my front windshield tinted at a shop in Vancouver called Pro Image, for something like $80. They do a great job, and would recommend them. I think they would charge $180 - $200 for your windows. Lifetime gaurantee.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:59 PM
Drifting

I have the Quantum tint...email me at rbui@sjsu.edu if you want to see some pics and yes a tint does help alot as far as keeping the car cool.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I have the Quantum tint...email me at rbui@sjsu.edu if you want to see some pics and yes a tint does help alot as far as keeping the car cool.
If you have a silver TL, that would really help.

dannynguyen@mail.utexas.edu