Do you like ABS breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you like ABS breaks?

For me,I prefer w/o,I really hate the feeling of ABS engage and takes so long g g g g g g g g....to stop especially on ice.Is that possible just remove the ABS fuse and drive w/o any problems?
Old 01-22-2002, 05:01 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm... I have countless close encounters with ABS.... w/out it, I would have rear-ended some one because of black ice on the roads..... ABS prevent your wheel from locking up, and give you the ability to steer away from danger, why would you want to disable it?? No normal human being can pump the brake 15 times a second.... :p

Andy Kuo
Old 01-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Instructor

I disabled the ABS on my truck. My ABS light on the dash stays on all the time, but worth it considering how much I hate ABS. Personally, ABS is a GOOD thing considering that most people really don't know how to drive (they panic). But for me, I HATE THE FRIGGIN ABS.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isnt that what ABS is supposed to do...help you brake better on slippery surface? How could you stop better without it on ice?
Old 01-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro

What do you guys think of this, Pro driver w/o ABS VS monkey w ABS,same car,same tires,both on ice?
Old 01-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by initialD
What do you guys think of this, Pro driver w/o ABS VS monkey w ABS,same car,same tires,both on ice?
Notice you had to say pro. I dont consider very many people as pro drivers...and not to offend anyone, but I dont consider most of the people on this board a pro either. But, if you rewrote it and said NORMAL driver (like myself) then i'd vote monkey.

BTW the amount of people I consider pro drivers is as equivalent as there are many who can run a 4 minute mile.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Drifting

I haven't really had any problem with ABS, although in my older cars I used to drive I have had my wheels lock up on me before. I would rather have the ABS.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
ABS kicks ass. I like it. If you think you could stop your car in a shorter distance by pumping your brakes yourself you are wrong.

Motor Trend used to (don't know if they still do) a brake test with ABS and one without. ABS always did better and they are PRO drivers.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, ABS is always good...

in highspeed & low traction conditions, it's very dangerous to have your wheels lockup.

Now if you are talking about low speed. like local streets and you are stopping for a stop sign. Then it's a different story. ABS can be fooled sometimes. But the cause is usually because you jam on the brake too fast.

I don't really know how to explain it, but if you know how to drive a car with ABS, and are aware of what it's gonna do. Then it's not a bad thing to have for SURE!!!

If you don't like the ABS, then brake lighter and earlier, then you can avoid ABS...
Old 01-22-2002, 06:56 PM
Drifting

I love ABS. In case of emergencies, just "stomp and steer" around obstacles. What's not to love?

initialD: do you really believe that your stopping distance will be shorter without ABS?
Old 01-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Pro

initialD: do you really believe that your stopping distance will be shorter without ABS? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think so,why not?because our ABS is too sensitive,it engane a litter too eariy.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:18 PM
Racer

Hm... I have countless close encounters with ABS.... w/out it, I would have rear-ended some one because of black ice on the roads..... ABS prevent your wheel from locking up, and give you the ability to steer away from danger, why would you want to disable it?? No normal human being can pump the brake 15 times a second....
If he/she is truly a pro, the pro EVERY time. I agree with Mr. Kuo, but I will say this - it has been proven over and over that the shortest stopping distances are acheived right on the verge of lock-up. With this in mind, ABS increases stopping distances. ABS, however, is preferable to all-out wheel lock! I will also be the first to admit that on a long drive home after a long day at work, ABS has saved my ass (and my wallet!) a couple of times. I'll take it. The goal is to never have it kick in!

IMHO
Old 01-22-2002, 08:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Re: Do you like ABS breaks?

For me,I prefer w/o,I really hate the feeling of ABS engage and takes so long g g g g g g g g....to stop especially on ice.Is that possible just remove the ABS fuse and drive w/o any problems?
Sometimes it is better that the ABS g g g g g g g g .... to slow or stop at a iced-up curve rather than the car, with all its wheels locked, disobeys your steering input and plow straight or slide sideways into the bumpers of other cars.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Red face

Ya, I agree with Andy. I think ABS really helps on black ice. My friend has to manually use his foot to make ABS on his Integra. And it can't compare with the real ABS. SO why disable it. Unless u live some place without rain or snow.

TL Addictive
Old 01-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Comptech Freak

no definitely not....

i don't want my ABS BREAKS!!!! hahahahahaha
wrong spelling kiddo!!!:p

and i want my ABS BRAKES!!! that's how it spells man!!
i dont' want to spin out of hwy...ABS saved me a couple of times last winter
Old 01-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely pro-ABS here. I don't know what people are talking about here about it engaging too early, I haven't experienced that at all.

As for increased stopping distances, it is common knowledge that ABS can increase stopping distances in snow and on gravel. The reason is that when you lock up the front wheels under these conditions snow (or gravel) will build up in front of the wheels and would help you stop. Note here that lockup is preferred, but it still doesn't help you steer out of the situation.

Since the wheels don't lockup with ABS, the buildup of snow or gravel would not take place and as a result, slightly increased stopping distances.

I was cut off once on the expressway doing 65mph and had to practically stand on the brakes (with my previous Acura). IMO the ABS is the only reason I didn't ram the guy.

ABS pumps the brakes 10 to 20 times PER SECOND, I'd like to see those who are bragging that they can out perform ABS do that and still keep their composure in an emergency situation.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:59 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jdl75 and goaub has very good points... I actually found the stopping distance to be a little bit longer when traveling over gravel/snow/any type of loose surface when ABS engaged... however, what ABS gives you is the ability to steer....

And Jdl75 is right about ABS being most effective when engage at verge of lock-up, and I also feel that TLS' ABS engages a little too fast too easy... especially when the road is wet/slippery....

Andy Kuo
Old 01-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Re: Do you like ABS breaks?

No dumass I LIKE having my brakes lock up and sit there helplessly as my car plows into whatever is in front of me.

I had a situation 2 weeks ago where the road was so icy no car could stop even at 10MPH and If the car had no ABS I would slammed right into the car in front but luckily I was able to steer and only knocked a corner of my bumper.

And about pro-racing, Ask ANY driver if they would like or dislike ABS in wet conditions. 99.9% of them will say they want ABS. Not every driver has the same braking style, some go hard in, slow out (not the correct way) and some go slow in, fast out. In the dry ABS perhaps is a hindrance but not all racing takes place in perfect conditions. Tell a WRC driver you disconnected his ABS and he will refuse to race!

Stupid canadians..