Do All cars have no Sensors on Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do All cars have no Sensors on Alarm?

I heard that Stock Alarms dont give much Protection because they have no Sensors and only time they go off is when the lock opens without keys and if the door opens without keys.. Is this true?? I have passed many cars and they have gone off sometimes by just Wind and when people lay on them the car goes off so.. So What is it ?? Why do car companyhs even put Alarms in the car.. I could break the window and steal money from the car with out the car going off? This i stupid Especially like if you pay 35k for a TL and get no protection?? Also why dont any cars come with Remote Start?? I mean everyone that wants Remote Start has to go aftermarket.. Why is that.. Its not expensive and I bet sales would go up if the car came with Remote start dont you think?? I dont know..
Old 10-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Some cars may and other cars may not.

The thing with the TL is that it does not come stock with an alarm... it comes with an anti-theft device and keyless entry. What that means is that the remote locks / unlocks the doors and opens the trunk. WHen you lock the car.. you engage the anti-theft device.. which only prevents the car from being stolen.. not being broken into, etc.

I added a shock sensor to my car which will sound the alarm anytime it get's knocked into. It has even gone off during nasty thunderstorms. For true protection however, I would recommend an aftermarket alarm. I know that Acura offers the Pursuit alarm for around $400-$500 as an option as my buddy got one when he bought his car. If you don't opt for that option you're stuck with the factory anti-theft and keyless entry combo....
Old 10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
Race Director

but what if at night the alarm goes off because of wind or because someone accidentally leans against it.. If the alarm goes off and im asleep will it keep going on 24/7 or will it stop after like 5 mins or something?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Comptech Freak

BMW has interior sensor alarm
Old 10-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Race Director

Exactly my point only like $40k+ cars have it.. what is $35 not money?
Old 10-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Pro

Put a German Shepherd in your car. It will bark at any stranger approaching and won't make any noise even when windy.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Race Director

But what if Im asleep and the alarm goes off because of alarm or Thunderstorm Which makes lots of noise?? or if someone leans against it.. does the alarm siren never stop or is there a time limit like 10 mins?
Old 10-19-2002, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

If stock alarm (or was it anti-theft) goes off, it will reset itself after a minute or so.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Race Director

O really what about Aftermarket Alarms.. Comp Alarm, Clifford, Viper and etc..
Old 10-19-2002, 04:39 PM
Pro

I think all alarms will turn off the siren after being triggered after certain minutes. Or else your windshield will be smashed and your car will be covered with garbage the next morning. Most aftermarket alarm's brain can sense tampering and won't get triggered let's say by wind noise or some kid kicking your tire.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Race Director

The thing is like if I get the 2004 TL with all those features like NO KEY ENTRY And like auto start and all that junk but sucky security than what can I do?? I mean if i mod the alarm and get a aftermarket one than the warranty gets voided and i lose lots of features and my cool Stock REMOTE!! Also not all installers know how to do it so what should I do..
Old 10-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Pro

Are u sure the 04 TL will get keyless entry like Merc?
Old 10-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Race Director

Not sure but what if it does??? Like what do people with mercedes do to get More protection???
Old 10-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

If you get an Alarm, get a Clifford. Final Answer.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Race Director

O really? I have been hearing more of the Comp Alarms and heard Cliff is cheaper and has less features
Old 10-20-2002, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

get a aftermarket shock sensor alarm...preferrably with pager function...very useful...esp since with just stock alarm, they can jack your headlights without the alarm even going off.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

i heard that acura was putting in sensors on the front bumper area for the 2004....specially since the HID's are getting jacked like crazy
Old 10-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

y'all must live in a bad part of town and must also carry very little insurance. Stop smoking so much dope, it's makin' you paranoid. How much is the stuff in your car worth to you? $100 - $300, just take it inside when you park... $400-$800 get a freakin alarm with entry sensors, >$800 get the clifford with every feature including the auto up-down window module, the strobe lamps the 152 db siren the direct hot-line link to the cops and for good measure tell them to throw in a german shepherd.... sheesh.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Racer

no autostart feature in cars becasue how often do people (normal ones not trying to impress others use it) maybe nice in the east coast or something where you want to turn on the heat while you're fininshing your morning coffee, but it becomes a safety issue (roolaway cars) and theft issue - wait for someone to start the car and now you don't even have to hot wire it, just break the glass and go.

As far as senors go, it all depends on how sensative you set them. THere are people in my apartment complex that have alarms go off when someone with a loud muffler or garbage truck comes by. Others don't go off unless you take a sledge hammer tot he hood. It all depends.

In any case who pays attention to alarms anyway, they go off all the time at the malls and nobody goes running to see what the car is screming about. If you really care, get lojack or something to trace the car - personally though, if my car gets stolen, I don't want it recovered after it's beaten to hell.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Race Director

Medic: The Remote Starter Starts the car but does not let you put it in gear.. meaning that if I start the car with the remote and someone trys to drive it well it wont work because the brake pedal wont push in and the gears wont move.. The only way to physically drive your car is to put your keys in due to the immobilizer system.

stiletto: Cars in my place have recently been getting jacked and if I have lots of Mods than those thieves are gonna try to steal them.. Is there any way the Navi and CD Player can be Stolen? How about other stuff.. Those HID Lights cost a pretty penny too you know.

Anyways I was just wondering what Alarm to get but I dont wanna mess anything up in the stock system.. Like if they have features that I will lose and if I splice the wires than that would void my warranty.. 2004 TL will have lots of remote features and if I get a aftermarket system than I will lose a lot of features.. THANKS
Old 10-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by medic
no autostart feature in cars becasue how often do people (normal ones not trying to impress others use it) maybe nice in the east coast or something where you want to turn on the heat while you're fininshing your morning coffee, but it becomes a safety issue (roolaway cars) and theft issue - wait for someone to start the car and now you don't even have to hot wire it, just break the glass and go.

As far as senors go, it all depends on how sensative you set them. THere are people in my apartment complex that have alarms go off when someone with a loud muffler or garbage truck comes by. Others don't go off unless you take a sledge hammer tot he hood. It all depends.

blah blah blah blah...

Obviously, you have no clue of how remote start work nor you have one (or used one)....and of course, as always, talking out of your @ss
Old 10-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Race Director

Ok I might be wrong.. But Are you saying if I turn my car on w/ the remote that anyone can put it into gear and drive it away?? You mean if I Remote Start the car that I dont need my keys and All I have to do is get in and drive away? Meaning if I lose my keys and have my fob that all I have to do is unlock the car and auto start and go home?? If thats how it is thats a big problem..
Old 10-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2004TL
Ok I might be wrong.. But Are you saying if I turn my car on w/ the remote that anyone can put it into gear and drive it away?? You mean if I Remote Start the car that I dont need my keys and All I have to do is get in and drive away? Meaning if I lose my keys and have my fob that all I have to do is unlock the car and auto start and go home?? If thats how it is thats a big problem..
I don't have remote start feature but I do have the Clifford alarm. That feature could be added to my alarm if I wanted for $50 by my installer. But most work the same I think if door is open or car is put in gear the car will shut off. The key needs to be turned to the on start position for the car to be driven. So its no saftey issue like the car being stolen without keys even if the engine was running it will shut off. The built-in BlacJax anticarjacking self recovery system on the Clifford model I got was the main reason I purchased mine. The sensors it came with & the optional stuff I added to it along with back-up self powered siren also sold me. But as for the 2004TL model who know what it will come with. But alot of people that got 2002 did not wan't to give up fancy factory Key Fob or remomte function like memory seats. I say as long as the car has interior controls for the funtuct of the remote its no big deal.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by randomwalk101

Obviously, you have no clue of how remote start work nor you have one (or used one)....and of course, as always, talking out of your @ss
First you're right I don't have the remote start becasue I'm in CA and there is no need to start my car when I'm not near it. It's not too cold or hot and people aren't impressed by crap like that

All I'm saying is that without the car being on it's less of an issue. Lets say you have a manual and the person forgets to set the parking brake or it slips or anything - it may roll by itself or it could happen if you turn on the car and aren't around it. On an automatic, it's less of an issue becuase the car needs to fall in gear, but you do hear stories of domestic cars that roll away when kids are playing the car while their parents run inside. No manufacturer wants to take on the liability risk of a failing system.

Also, when a thief steals your car, can't they bypass the imobilizer? This means they can get the car faster since they don't need to spend the few extra seconds to hotwire it. Additionally, as far as I've read on cars that have chips in the keys, you need to get a duplicate of the chip and have it placed near the ignition for the autostart feature to work. The chip prevents the car from starting.

Sure I could be wrong, but then correct me, don't flame my ass and sound mighter then god becasue you don't seem to be offering much help to the guy either