DIY...HID question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY...HID question.

How the hell do you take that cover off to get to the HID lights? There seems to be a fastner thats holding the cover on...anybody know?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i know that on the 03s, there's a torx security bit (TORX-20 i think) on the cover.....then the cover twists off....not sure if it's the same on the 99-01s.....
Old 12-13-2004, 05:02 AM
Banned

Great I have to buy one now.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:21 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Great I have to buy one now.
who opens this early in TO???

LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Banned

why the hell are you online so god damned early??

Originally Posted by samkws
who opens this early in TO???

LOL
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Comptech Freak

why the hell are you online so god damned early??
i haven't slept yet

dun needa work at salad king today~
Old 12-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Banned

HUH?

Originally Posted by samkws
i haven't slept yet

dun needa work at salad king today~
Old 12-13-2004, 08:12 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Sam is saying he doesn't have to work tonight at Salad King...
Old 12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if Sam doesn't have to work the next day, he stays up and does not sleep....

I get the feeling he is looking at his kit in the bedroom!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bearback27

Just don't ask what he's been doing with the kit in his bedroom.

But yeah, if you're talking about the ballasts, then you need a Torx bit (I'm pretty sure it was Torx 20, too.). If not, you can use a flathead screwdriver that's just wide enough to fit in one of the slots on the Torx head, press down firmly and slowly twist to get it out. I've done that many times with Torx screws.

But if you're going to buy a set, make sure it has a circular slot cut out in the middle of the head. Some Torx bits have it, other don't. Acura's Torx screws have that indentation in the middle, so make sure to get Torx bit set that has those indentation slots; otherwise it won't fit.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I really wanna do thsi change of my HID's myself. Just have to wait untill the arrive. I assume the HID's are easy to take out?

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Just don't ask what he's been doing with the kit in his bedroom.

But yeah, if you're talking about the ballasts, then you need a Torx bit (I'm pretty sure it was Torx 20, too.). If not, you can use a flathead screwdriver that's just wide enough to fit in one of the slots on the Torx head, press down firmly and slowly twist to get it out. I've done that many times with Torx screws.

But if you're going to buy a set, make sure it has a circular slot cut out in the middle of the head. Some Torx bits have it, other don't. Acura's Torx screws have that indentation in the middle, so make sure to get Torx bit set that has those indentation slots; otherwise it won't fit.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Dragging knees in

Thanks for the info. I really wanna do thsi change of my HID's myself. Just have to wait untill the arrive. I assume the HID's are easy to take out?
OK, just out of curiosity, I don't know why you're changing out the HIDs. Are the factory ones dead??

In any case, it's relatively easy, but if you're switching out the ballasts, then you have to remove the front bumper. It's held in by a screw on each side at the end in the wheelwell area.

After removing those two screws, there's a few more underneath the car. Once you remove those, the bumper just simply pops off.

Then you would see support beams directly below the headlight casings. Remove those. It's just a few screws -- very straightforward.

Once those beams are off, get the screws out of the tabs on the casings holding them in. Now you can take the casings out.

Make sure to unplug the harnesses before you pull them out.

Underneath the casings, you will see the ballasts attached by Torx screws. Get those out, and the ballasts come off.

Replace ballasts (if that's what you're doing), and reverse the procedure.

BUT, once the casings and the support beams are back on, make sure to turn on the lights against a wall and level them out BEFORE you put on the bumper. Sometimes it could be so off that the adjuster knob behind the casings couldn't compensate. You can wiggle the casings around a bit, align them, then tighten everything down. Afterwards, put the bumper cover back on. Done.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Banned

No, I am just changing the blubs, not the ballasts. The stock blubs aren't dead. But I find them to be giving off less light than before. I am getting teh 6000k bulbs.

OK, just out of curiosity, I don't know why you're changing out the HIDs. Are the factory ones dead??

In any case, it's relatively easy, but if you're switching out the ballasts, then you have to remove the front bumper. It's held in by a screw on each side at the end in the wheelwell area.

After removing those two screws, there's a few more underneath the car. Once you remove those, the bumper just simply pops off.

Then you would see support beams directly below the headlight casings. Remove those. It's just a few screws -- very straightforward.

Once those beams are off, get the screws out of the tabs on the casings holding them in. Now you can take the casings out.

Make sure to unplug the harnesses before you pull them out.

Underneath the casings, you will see the ballasts attached by Torx screws. Get those out, and the ballasts come off.

Replace ballasts (if that's what you're doing), and reverse the procedure.

BUT, once the casings and the support beams are back on, make sure to turn on the lights against a wall and level them out BEFORE you put on the bumper. Sometimes it could be so off that the adjuster knob behind the casings couldn't compensate. You can wiggle the casings around a bit, align them, then tighten everything down. Afterwards, put the bumper cover back on. Done.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Dragging knees in

Oh, alright. In that case, you won't have to remove anything.

The socket is accessible from the engine bay. Twist off the cover, take out the bulb, replace, and twist it back on. Make sure the rubber seal is seated correctly when you put the cover back on. Very simple.

I don't think I would have to tell you that the bulbs should not come in contact with anything, especially your fingers. But if it happens, gently clean it with a soft cloth with denatured alcohol. It's like 3 bucks for a can at the local hardware store.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

That's what I'm scared of. Touching something in that small area is very easy to do.
I may just go to the Acura dealer and have them put them on for me.

Oh, alright. In that case, you won't have to remove anything.

The socket is accessible from the engine bay. Twist off the cover, take out the bulb, replace, and twist it back on. Make sure the rubber seal is seated correctly when you put the cover back on. Very simple.

I don't think I would have to tell you that the bulbs should not come in contact with anything, especially your fingers. But if it happens, gently clean it with a soft cloth with denatured alcohol. It's like 3 bucks for a can at the local hardware store.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
T-20 Security bit, when I was in Canada I saw it in Canadian Tire so I am sure you can find it at some autostore... even HARDWARE store. I went to the local hardware store and got a T-20 secuity Torx bit for $1 USD.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
That's what I'm scared of. Touching something in that small area is very easy to do.
I may just go to the Acura dealer and have them put them on for me.
save your money and do it your self. its easy, just like changing a standard (but more expensive) halogen. just take your time and be carefull.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah MADCAT- do it yourself....it takes some patience....that stupid spring rod thing that hold the bulb in is kinda weird to work with....i had to bend it a little so it sat into place, but it was fine....not hard at all.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by bearback27

my kit is at the body shop for painting right now

will be able to install on friday~

now just wait for the apexi coilovers and CT exhaust coming