DIY: Hardwire V1 w/Concealed unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY: Hardwire V1 w/Concealed unit

I got a couple requests for it so I decided to try to make a DIY. If a mod. should feel like they should put this into the DIY/Info section..be my guest.

Total time: 30-45 minutes

Tools/supplies:
- V1
- Direct-wire kit
- Concealed unit display
- Screwdriver (+)
- Electric Tape or Zip ties

Directions:
- Step 1.) Make sure you have everything listed in the tools/supplies list before starting.
- Step 2.) Find the direct-wire kit and cut the end off the red wire

- Step 3.) Now strip the red wire about 1/2 in. and fan the inner wires out a bit.
- Step 4.) Pull of your A-pillar by giving a good tug starting from the top and work your way down until it loosens. Also, take off the interior fuse box cover.
- Step 5.) Pick a spot for your V1. I chose the tint strip on our windshield so that when you look from the outside in, the radar isn't visible.

- Step 6.) After choosing a spot, plug the 8 ft. straight power cord into the V1 and run it along the roof lining and down your A-pillar, into your interior fuse box (which should be off). Make knots in the power cord so the cord stays along your roof lining. Use electric tape/zip ties to attach the power cord to the wires already located under the A-pillar for a clean install.
- Step 7.) Chose a fuse. I chose to use Fuse 30A (#12), which is our windshield wiper fuse. I chose this fuse because this fuse isn't active unless our key is in the ignition and turned to "On II" In addition, this way you don't have to remember to keep turning off/on your V1.
- Step 8.) First pull Fuse 30A (#12) by using a pair of fuse removers located in your fuse box located under your hood.
- Step 9.) Slide the red wire from the direct-wire adaptor into the left or right slot of the fuse. Make sure your not inserting the bare wires into the center slot. Also, make sure there are no wires sticking out or else that might cause a fuse to blow. After inserting the red wire into the fuse, put the fuse back in with the red wire in either the left/right slot. It should look something like this...

- Step 10.) Then run the black wire (negative) to a ground. I chose one of the outside screws as seen in the picture above.

- Step 11.) Chose a spot for the concealed unit. I chose the top of my steering wheel cover. The 3M's that were included didn't stick to well to the plastic so I added a couple drops of crazy clue.
- Step 12.) Run the power cord from the concealed unit down behind the lower dash located under our steering wheel.
- Step 13.) Plug in the corresponding power cords into the direct-wire adaptor.

.. put everything back together and there you go. Hope this helped. If you have any more questions or comments, please feel free to email me at illogic@elitemail.org.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great!! Im defenitely doing this!! GOOD POST!! One question though... can you turn the radar detector off if u dont want to use it or is it always goign to be one.. now that its hardwired?? Basically is there an on/off switch on the detector?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having it hardwired just means that your not using the *annoying* lighter adaptor and still have the ability to turn it off/on..so yes, you're still able to turn it off if you don't want to use it. Also, you cannot tell I have a radar for the tint across our windshield takes care of that. People have said that the radar performance is decreased when placed directly behind tints but I haven't seen any decrease but seems to actually be more sensitive.