Dear Acura, thanks for the crap tranny and for ruining my christmas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 03:03 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Acura, thanks for the crap tranny and for ruining my christmas!

Well, I just barely made it home on Christmas Day.

I went to go pick up my aunt about 3 miles away and on my way there the car was basically in 1st gear at 5000 RPM. I made it to my aunt's and I stalled five times on my way back. I was doing 5 mph and the car was just roaring up and down for my whole way back home... absolutely scary.

I guess I'll have the car towed on Monday and I'll see what happens. I want a loaner car damnit, Valley Stream!

Good thing my dad just bought an '05 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee, I guess I'll be tearing that thing up for the next week or so!

Have a Merry Christmas guys and be careful with those crap trannies!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merry Christmas!

That sucks Glad you and your Aunt are ok. Don't let it ruin your xmas
Old 12-25-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Well, apparently tranny problems is the gift that keeps on giving!

MERRY Christmas!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:28 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Thanks guys... hopefully my dealer will offer me a newer car as a loaner, like an RSX or TSX. I just want something, I'm sick of getting played by my dealer.

As for the mileage, my car is a late-model 2003 Acura 3.2 TL Type-S (manufactured in February '03) with only 18,954 miles on it. That is a pathetic number for an late '03 tranny to die.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Street Spirit

MERRY Christmas!
Old 12-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MattT516
Thanks guys... hopefully my dealer will offer me a newer car as a loaner, like an RSX or TSX. I just want something, I'm sick of getting played by my dealer.

As for the mileage, my car is a late-model 2003 Acura 3.2 TL Type-S (manufactured in February '03) with only 18,954 miles on it. That is a pathetic number for an late '03 tranny to die.
Dang that sucks. I have like 25k on my '03 TL-S. Hope it doesn't go out. I have the oil jet kit but who knows. Luck of the draw I suppose. Not sure when it was manufactured.

I agree though, that's a late model so it makes no sense why your tranny would fail.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Instructor

wtf man sorry to hear that ... i have an 03 with 28k hard drivin miles, cuz i beat the ish outta my car and no probs yet.... *jinx* lol

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2004, 03:43 PM
@ slide or die @

maybe the secret is to beat on the tranny, because from what i've read, nice Tl drivers get 3 trannies before 20,000miles
Old 12-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by scottiew
Dang that sucks. I have like 25k on my '03 TL-S. Hope it doesn't go out. I have the oil jet kit but who knows. Luck of the draw I suppose. Not sure when it was manufactured.

I agree though, that's a late model so it makes no sense why your tranny would fail.
sorry to burst your bubble but the oil jet doesnt help the main problem that we all have. odds are its just a mattter of time before it dies!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
sorry to burst your bubble but the oil jet doesnt help the main problem that we all have. odds are its just a mattter of time before it dies!
Thanks...

hehe I, in no way, expect the jet kit to remedy the cause. Everytime I get in my car and start it I wonder if my tranny will die when I start driving, where it will possibly happen, and play a couple of scenarios in my head. I also think about what I will do [on the road] to maintain control and be safe to myself and those around me.

Yes, I am prepared and I am thinking ahead. If it doesn't happen great, if it does I'm as prepared as I resonably can be.

As I said, who knows, we'll see
Old 12-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by scottiew
Thanks...

hehe I, in no way, expect the jet kit to remedy the cause. Everytime I get in my car and start it I wonder if my tranny will die when I start driving, where it will possibly happen, and play a couple of scenarios in my head. I also think about what I will do [on the road] to maintain control and be safe to myself and those around me.

Yes, I am prepared and I am thinking ahead. If it doesn't happen great, if it does I'm as prepared as I resonably can be.

As I said, who knows, we'll see
as it starts to die you should see it (like a clutch thats shot) the tach rising up just before it drops down into another gear. with any luck "IF" it dies you will be in the city when it goes. 2 of mine were on the hwy and i cought them before they decided to go into 2nd. one was on the way to the dealer (3 miles from) taking off from a stoplight.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
as it starts to die you should see it (like a clutch thats shot) the tach rising up just before it drops down into another gear. with any luck "IF" it dies you will be in the city when it goes. 2 of mine were on the hwy and i cought them before they decided to go into 2nd. one was on the way to the dealer (3 miles from) taking off from a stoplight.
That does suck. Yeah kinda makes you take a second thought on taking it on a road trip.

Thanks for the symptoms
Old 12-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Intermediate

I received the same Christmas present on Sunday. I was leaving the mall with my little brothers and high revving, check engine, and D5 flashing... it was like a Christmas tree on my dash. I made it into a side lot and called Allstate for a hook. Thing that sucks is that I transfered to work for South Bend and nearest Acura dealship is a little over two hours either east into Illinois or west towards Fort Wayne. Well, guess I'll call the dealship in the morning, tell them why the TL is sitting there (although I will assume they already know the answer) and arrange for a rental through Enterprise or something out here till I can travel back to Illinois.

I have been reading these boards for a while now, but only signed up recently. Must say though that the DIY and other talks have been great. Keep up the good conversations.

Have a good New Year; hopefully this isn't the start of mine?!?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

MattT516, sorry to hear about your tranny going. I have a 03 type-s with a little over 20k on it and I am worried when the tranny will go. I drive from queens to exit 49 on the lie to work and back every day and worry if I will get into an accident because of it. As for getting a car from valley stream, unless you bought the car there they wont give you one so i have been told by the service men. Second thing dont bring your car to VS they are theives. I went there to fix my seats because they squeaked when every i went over a bump. It was so bad that women complained about the noise and made fun of my car being that is is so new. When I took it to them they said they removed the seat and fixed the spring, a couple of days later it was back. I took my car to Acura in Brooklyn and they told me my seats were not worked on because there were no marks of the nuts to show they were removed. Yet they probably put in a work order to acura and got reimbursement for work they never did. So be careful when going there, they might say they replaced your tranny when they didnt
Old 12-28-2004, 06:19 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by Cosna
MattT516, sorry to hear about your tranny going. I have a 03 type-s with a little over 20k on it and I am worried when the tranny will go. I drive from queens to exit 49 on the lie to work and back every day and worry if I will get into an accident because of it. As for getting a car from valley stream, unless you bought the car there they wont give you one so i have been told by the service men. Second thing dont bring your car to VS they are theives. I went there to fix my seats because they squeaked when every i went over a bump. It was so bad that women complained about the noise and made fun of my car being that is is so new. When I took it to them they said they removed the seat and fixed the spring, a couple of days later it was back. I took my car to Acura in Brooklyn and they told me my seats were not worked on because there were no marks of the nuts to show they were removed. Yet they probably put in a work order to acura and got reimbursement for work they never did. So be careful when going there, they might say they replaced your tranny when they didnt
This is some great information and I really appreciate it. I actually bought the car at Acura of Brooklyn and the towing company ended up taking it there instead of Valley Stream. I only mentioned Valley Stream because I thought it was going to be taken there because I got a lot of work done there in October (problems w/ a puddle, long story). Acura of Brooklyn is going to give me a loaner tomorrow and they are surely going to fix the tranny. They are definitely going to fix it because the car is unable to be driven if they don't so it's not like I won't recognize it. Sorry about your bad experiences, I'll let you know what happens with mine.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate ValleyStream as well because they LIE LIE and LIE even more for warranty work. BUT they did give me a loaner for the OIL JET recall and they were very nice about it. I think that was like the only time lol

I am pretty sure that they will give you one as well if you had bought it from them.

Acura of Brooklyn wasn't any better to me. I think that all the dealers just love to cheat people.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Left = passing lane

Originally Posted by showart
I received the same Christmas present on Sunday. I was leaving the mall with my little brothers and high revving, check engine, and D5 flashing... it was like a Christmas tree on my dash. I made it into a side lot and called Allstate for a hook. Thing that sucks is that I transfered to work for South Bend and nearest Acura dealship is a little over two hours either east into Illinois or west towards Fort Wayne. Well, guess I'll call the dealship in the morning, tell them why the TL is sitting there (although I will assume they already know the answer) and arrange for a rental through Enterprise or something out here till I can travel back to Illinois.

I have been reading these boards for a while now, but only signed up recently. Must say though that the DIY and other talks have been great. Keep up the good conversations.

Have a good New Year; hopefully this isn't the start of mine?!?
Hey, welcome to both Indiana and the board.

No dealer in South Bend? Hard to believe that no fighting Irish drive Acuras?! Amazing...

Anyway, good luck with the new tranny and stay warm...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Originally Posted by Street Spirit

MERRY Christmas!
man the tranny issues... it aint never gonna get fixed from acura... my cl went it in 3K the tranny was out the door again... best of luck with the fix bro..
Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Racer

Do the Gen 3's have these tranny issues as well? I'm keeping my 00 until about 100k, then getting rid of it if possible for that reason. I want an 05 RL sometime in 07 when I plan to get rid of my TL, but I doubt I can afford one. I like the Gen 2 TL body style better, but if I got an 03 I'd be dealing w/ the same problem--keep it to 100k then ditch it. Any of you that bought Gen 3's have problems with yours? When I start my job w/ the dealership in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can borrow a gen 3 TL sometime to see how I like it since the company I work for owns an Acura franchise.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:48 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
Do the Gen 3's have these tranny issues as well? I'm keeping my 00 until about 100k, then getting rid of it if possible for that reason. I want an 05 RL sometime in 07 when I plan to get rid of my TL, but I doubt I can afford one.
Well in the letter from American Honda about the oil jet replacement and the tranny recall it also included the '04 TL, so perhaps the problem exists in the 3rd gen as well. Until Acura starts getting some better transmissions to match up with a 270-horsepower V6 then this problem will continue to occur. I'm not too sure about the '05 RL's tranny but I haven't heard that much about the RL's transmission failing. Maybe with the new 300-horsepower engine some problems will begin to occur but who knows.