Dealer's Paint Protection Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 12:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer's Paint Protection Warranty

For those of you who were either suckered into buying the optional paint protection warranty or offered it for free by the dealer, how often do you get the car re-treated? I'm sure climate/weather has a lot to do with the frequency...

Also, is it a fair assumption that a car that has been treated by a dealer's "paint protection" shouldn't be waxed? Would I have to scrape off the stuff in order to get the car routinely waxed or detailed at a local shop?
Old 04-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
What is it that they claim they put on the car? I hope they don't mention teflon. What a crock of sh!t that is.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a sucker. I unfortunately went with the paint protection thing because I was worried about the fading and water etching that is very common, not to mention, very visible on black cars. Looking at my warranty paper, it is from a company called A Touch of Class, and their sealant is called Resistall. It looks like this company has no affilation with the dealer nor Acura.

My warranty is for 5 years, and "protects against weather induced fading, loss of gloss, permanent hard water etching, industrial fallout, bird droppings, tree sap, and acid rain." BTW, the sealant sucks, as it lasted for perhaps 1 month. Seeing that my car definitely has several areas of water etching, I might take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Overall, definitely not worth getting...Unless of course they give me a new paint job. I'm dreaming of course, as they would probably only fix the problem areas, and not the hundreds of paint chips I have.