Dead battery = no radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dead battery = no radio

O.K. I admit I left the lights on and my battery died. I got my 5 digit code from my manual, but I think I messed up entering it. It keeps saying ERR. Im on try #6 and everyone knows at 10 your car explodes. My question is I dont know where im at entering the code numeral wise. It doesnt seem to reset after turning the key off. So I could be on any digit in the 5 digit code. should I just wait and go back and enter it from the beginning or what? I hope this makes sense. Also how do you reset the maint. needed light, I did it once before but forgot how. DUH!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:37 PM
SH-AWD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When the radio displays "Code" that means you need to enter the first digit of your radio code. If you've entered it incorrectly at least once then it will display "Err" instead of "Code". If that doesn't make sense just turn the key "off" and then to either the I or II position and you can start over.

To reset the "Maint. Req" light turn the key "off" and press both the "Trip" & "Reset" buttons and hold them. Turn the key to the II position, while still holding the "Trip" & "Reset" buttons until the light goes off and you're set.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thank you leftcorner, for the maint. req. light refresher. I CANNOT BELIEVE the predictament Im in on the radio though. Its ALMOST humorous. The reason my code didnt work is because, the radio is NOT the one that came in my car. statement: I am an Idiot. Question, should I be mad at my dealer? The deal is ... My C.D. player broke last summer, the dealer ordered me one, but it took so long to arrive they finally agreed to remove one from another car. The problem is I was unfamiliar with the anti theft system. And they didnt bother to inform me, of my new code or that one even existed. My radio was replaced with no mention of a new code. Just turned out my battery went dead (my fault). And I was trying to turn it on with the original code. Took like 3 hrs until I even remembered I had my radio replaced 6 mos. ago. The kicker is who knows where the car the radio came from is? I will have to see if the dealer can backtrack and find the code to the radio in my car. And the car I "borrowed" a radio from is riding around with the new radio, when it finally arrived, so who knows what will happen when their batt. goes dead. Not the end of the world, but inconvenient to say the least. No music for me this weekend. Do you guys think that was a lil' unprofessional or am I trippin.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Pro

Radio Serial Number

Hey Blubya,
Yeah, I've written my number all over the place so that when my bat goes dead I won't be in your grief. I read somewhere, It was either in the manual or on the card that came with the original radio code. That if you forget the code, you can have it retrieved by the dealer by the serial number of the radio.

YES it's bogus that the dealer didn't provide you with the new code. I don't know where the serial number is on the radio, but if they've lost the paper trail to your swap-out, that is what they will have to do. They may have to remove the radio to get the serial number off of it to research the code. Maybe you can somehow just look behind it with a mirror and then decyper the serial number or something? I noticed that when I took my car in for service, the work order had the radio code "automatically" printed out on it. They have my radio code in their system computer (presumably from the VIN# or sales order#)so that when they do work and disconncect the battery, they will know right away how to reset it before giving it back to me. Perhaps your dealer has this same kind of database. Hopefully they updated it with your swapped out radio... IF THEY HAVE LOST IT, they are supposed to be able to retieve it fromt the radio serial number...

Also, IF you have disconnected (or lost) your battery, the "AUTO" up/down feature of the drivers window will not work until it is reset. READ PAGE 102 of the owners manual. So,if your auto window feature also doesn't work, I think the reset procedure goes like this...

Press and hold down the driver's window switch until the window rolls completely down. Then pull back up on the switch and hold it until the window completely rolls back up. THEN CONTINUE TO HOLD THE SWITCH IN THE FULL UP POSITION FOR A COUPLE OF MORE SECONDS TO RESET THE LIMIT SWITCHES.

Hope this helps... GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Instructor

O.K. I admit I left the lights on
I thought if you left the lights on, they turned off automatically?

-Tom
Old 04-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Racer

you can take out your radio and look on the back.

it's there.

great antitheft eh?
Old 04-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by thomas_rp

I thought if you left the lights on, they turned off automatically?

-Tom
They do turn OFF automatically?
Headlights & parking lights will
Old 04-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help. Thats what sites like this are for, so people like me who are two lazy to read the owners manual can get advice. No, but seriously, I noticed the auto window thing not working and was wondering if I had been cursed or what. Thanks for the advice southbound. As far as the battery going dead, I am kind of perplexed myself. I was leaving work FRI. and my car was completely dead, not even turning the engine over. I thought something BAD was happening. But I noticed the headlights were twisted on. I assume I turned them on at lunch??? I knew the HD lights cut off auto. But you people just reminded me, and got me concerned, THANKS! Maybe an interior light was left on? Im not really sure. But 4 or 5 hrs. doesnt seem long enough to kill the batt. that dead. Hmmm?