Dead at 41,753

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Extreme Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead at 41,753

Driving on the Merrit Pkway, doing about 65 mph, it felt as if someone rear ended me. Car couldn't drive faster than 40. I wanted to take it to Park Ave Acura, but the closest one is Curry acura. What's weird was I asked the service dude, is this a common problem with the transmission failing on Acura TL's the guy goes Oh no we don't have much problems. It rarely happens. What's funny, the Enterprise guy came to pick me up and he was like so what's wrong with ur car? I say transmission died. He says, " Let me guess Acura TL a 1999-2001." Im like wow how u know, he says that he picks up at least 4 people a day from Curry acura to bring to Enterprise and they all have TLs with tranny problems. I can't believe that service guy at Curry acura tells me that its a rare problem. Oh well at least Im getting a loaner car, I get to drive a GMC Yukon for about a week and a half. :yack: on that service guy from Curry Acura for feeding me BS.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear about that man.
glad you're safe!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

aggrrr I hate it when people post about dead trans. Makes me paranoid about mine.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:06 PM
O.G.

Oh $hit, sorry to hear about your tranny dying.

Damn dumb a$$ service guy. He knows it's true.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Drifting

damn..that sucks...did you have any symptoms before hand?

oh and a general question..does it hurt your engine when the trans fails?...cuase the rpms would shoot up alot and your engine is basscially stoping all 3500 pounds of the car....sounds like it could do dmamage
Old 05-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
He must've worked at the Ford Dealership when I took my Windstar in for a failed transmission. He said I was the first one and the Enterprise Guy said he had 3 calls this week already .... I guess the service guy meant I was the first one TODAY...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

did u have any mods for ur tl when u brought it in to the dealership and if u do did they say anything about it?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Crackpuppy, which service guy at Curry told you the BS about not seeing to many trannys failing? I take my car to Curry and the service guys are all decent over there except for one guy. I dont remember his name, but he's a tall white guy with short brown hair, early 30s I'd guess. Lets just say he's surly and isnt friendly like the rest of them. By the way, the head of the service dept is a guy named Larry - if you ever run into any problems with the service guys at the desk, ask to speak with him directly and he will take care of it. He's been good to me before and believe me I'v had my problems with them.

I would tell you the couple of horror issues I've had with Curry service, but if i did, and it got back to them, they'd know who i was immediately and then i'd probably get blacklisted there and never get my car serviced without deliberate f*ck-ups on their part.

They do good mechanical repair work so dont worry about the tranny replacement, it will be fine, just check your car carefully for peripheral damage when you pick it up - 'nough said.

As for the Enterprise guy, he's probably the same decent guy that picked me up to bring me down the road to Curry Chevrolet to get my loaner (a taller, slightly heavyset black guy) and he asked the the very same question and told me he's constantly picking people up to give them loaners for the tranny failures.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Extreme Lurker

I had no symptoms before my tranny died. Just that there was this burning smell, then that sudden jerk and the RPM meter thing going up and down. As for mods, i have Comptech headers, exhausts, pulleys, sways. But They called me and they verified it was the transmission. I would have flipped if they told me it was the mods that causes the transmission. The dude who told me that it rarely happens was some white dude with a beard i forgot his name. Curry Acura is ok for service but I like park ave a little better, they never have problems about loaning cars, whereas i remember when i went to curry acura all they ever offered to me was a ride back to the subway. And it took them forever to get my heated seats fixed. The enterprise dude was funny, it was a black dude named Andre, he likes to speak in Third Person. People like to tell Andre about their Acuras dying. Andre knows what u drive. Andre knows you have an Acura TL. he's funny.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate Curry Acura.

I'd prefer to go to Acura of Westchester or Bedford Hills or even Northeast Acura in Albany before I go back to Curry Acura.

I've had bad experience with their lack of customer service on both the sales and service departments.

To hell with Curry Acura.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Pro

funny, last time I was at Curry for service I was asking the service guy how many tranny failures they get, and he told me they get a few every week.
Too bad about your tranny, hopefully you'll have a new one installed real soon.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Banned

i had my tranny replaced at curry twice. he says i drive like a maniac thats why and i am the only one who had it replaced twice. lol
his name was larry.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

SO Larry the head of service said that huh?! Thats surprising to hear because i always thought we was pretty straight up, and he knows that it wasnt until last Sept-Oct that Acura headquarters finally figured out what the tranny failure was caused by.

Because of that, Acura revamped its tranny rebuild procedures and uses a new subcontractor to do the work, which is why there is no more long waits to get a replacement. All the new replacement trannys after Sept-Oct 2002 are total refurbs, meaning every internal part is replaced and the only part thats "old" is the outer case. Prior to that date, they were just replacing some visually worn stuff. The third gear clutch pak wasnt being replaced, and since thats what is causing the failures, the replacements would also fail, as was what happened to you the first time around.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
see,
what did i tell you.

curry acura sucks big elbows!