Daytime Running lights at night?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Daytime Running lights at night?

My friend has a 2001 3 series coupe. At night, his HID's and daytime running lights are on and it looks damn good! Combined with his HID fogs, you can blind anyone on the road . Anyway, my question is, to install DRL on the TL, do you have to drill another hole? Also, what do you guys think it will look like on the TL?

Rosh
Old 09-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're thinking about retrofitting a Canadian-spec OEM DRL kit for the TL, forget it. The wiring schematics are very different for the two models and there are many components that would need to be added to add the OEM DRLs. I don't know who makes aftermarket DRLs but I really don't think it would look that good if it wasn't OEM and designed to be on simultaneously.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pianoman41
If you're thinking about retrofitting a Canadian-spec OEM DRL kit for the TL, forget it. The wiring schematics are very different for the two models and there are many components that would need to be added to add the OEM DRLs. I don't know who makes aftermarket DRLs but I really don't think it would look that good if it wasn't OEM and designed to be on simultaneously.
This is very true I just use my low beams all the time.
ACURA just screwed us on DRLs they should have had them or at least make it easy to retro fit Canadian OEM DRLs on our cars. I would have paid $100.00 for this but they did not even consider DRLs.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:52 PM

fog lights as DRL's?

I have a 2002 TL Type S, and wwould like to have the fog lights as my DRL. The fog lights though only can be turned on when the headlights are on.

Anyone know about possibility of rewiring the fog ligth switch to trun on the fog lights independent of the headlights?
Old 09-19-2001, 08:35 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

DRL's are a bad idea unless you live in Canada or the Nordic countries. How many motorcycles would you not see if everyone had DRL's?
Old 09-19-2001, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
DRLs not on with HIDs

Based upon what I have on my car, the DRLs shut off automatically when I turn the HIDs on. When I go back to the 'parking lights', the HIDs go off and the regular DRLs go back on. I don't even want to THINK about how to rewire to have everything go on at the same time ... plus you'd need to install new bulbs for everything to match!

Lastly, one thing I noticed is that the DRLs are aimed awfully high. I think I've read in a previous thread that the DRLs are the same as the high-beams? Aren't you going to blind someone if you had everything on ??? Now that wouldn't be nice, would it?

I definitely know there is something in the FAQ that discusses rewiring such that you can have the fogs go on when the parking lights are on. Isn't that enough???

- derrick
Old 09-19-2001, 09:13 PM
Racer

Just thought I'd put my $0.2

Derrik is correct in that the DRL's are the high beams, I also read somewhere that they run at 1/2 power (hence not very bright). simple way to see this is to start the car (DRL's on) and flash the high's.

And Jeff, yes there is a simple fog light that can be done in 10-15min to have the fogs on with the "park lights" in the faq...I did this and now leave them on all the time.
Old 09-19-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro

The Canadian DRLs are the high beam 9005 bulbs but are on low power only when they automatically come on when car transmission is moved to drive. When HIDs are turned on, the DRLs shut off, and are then useable as high beams only. They can't all be on at the same time, unless you leave the high beams on the whole time. Yes, it's blinding as heck.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Derrick, I forgot to mention that I have a 99 TL with no fogs. DRL's I think are worth it. It adds a nice look to the car.

Rosh
Old 09-20-2001, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Our headlights turn off automatically, so I just leave my headlights on all the time. The HIDs look better than any reduced-power high-beam ever could anyway.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:55 AM
Banned

Re: fog lights as DRL's?

Originally posted by Jeff
I have a 2002 TL Type S, and wwould like to have the fog lights as my DRL. The fog lights though only can be turned on when the headlights are on.

Anyone know about possibility of rewiring the fog ligth switch to trun on the fog lights independent of the headlights?
There are step-by-step instructions in the FAQ for making this mod. As TLS RULZ stated, it takes no more than 10-15 minutes to do.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:29 AM
BDI
Banned

Has anyone every considered installin' city lights in their cars instead of the DRL?? IMO I think city lights look much better. I think Streeteffectz does this.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:00 PM
Racer

City Lights ??

BDI, what are city lights?? (sorry for the dumb question!)

RAdams, I used to leave my low beams on too, but then I read somewhere on this forum, that the quick flashing of the lights when you lock/unlock the car is not good for the HID's. I do not have any idea for the validity of that claim....but did not want to take the risk so now I leave the stalk in the "park light" position with the fog light switch on.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:55 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I think people don't notice your HID light as much as the daytime running light... at least that's what I think...

And the reason for daytime running light is of course safety... So, I think the lower powered highbeam works better in that aspect...

I leave my HID on most of the time. If I park the car in the afternoon or at night. I will simply leave them on... So, that it's easier for me to find my car and safer while I am walking into my house..
Old 09-25-2001, 03:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Even though the DRL is running at half power, it is blinding like hell to the car in front and the on-coming traffic, during dark cloudy days and dusk hours. My wife said this to me many times when I was driving behind her. Until we swapped cars to drive then I realize how irritating it is whenever I looked at the rear view mirror.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by hooked2TL
The Canadian DRLs are the high beam 9005 bulbs but are on low power only when they automatically come on when car transmission is moved to drive. When HIDs are turned on, the DRLs shut off, and are then useable as high beams only. They can't all be on at the same time, unless you leave the high beams on the whole time. Yes, it's blinding as heck.
Actually, the DRLs come on once you release the foot brake, the engine or ignition is on and the HIDs are off. Also if you do not use the footbrake, then the DRLs come on as soon as the ignition is switched on as long as the HID lights are not on. It has nothing to do with the engine being switched to drive.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:38 PM
Resident Volkswagen Dork™

man...i dunno...i havent seen DRL's that ive liked yet. i havent seen BMW's running at night with them on or maybe i just havent been paying that much attention...i dont like them. personally if i had a car that had them i would disable them. but thats me! my mind i suppose could change but there is really no need for them here.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:31 PM
BDI
Banned

Re: City Lights ??

Originally posted by TLS RULZ
BDI, what are city lights?? (sorry for the dumb question!)
Basically city lights are extra bulbs that have to be installed in your headlight housing(yep, drillin' involved). But they light up your whole housing whatever color you choose. They look really good. I'm considering doin' this to my TL since we didn't have the option to get DRLs.