Daytime running light

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005 | 06:14 PM
Advanced

Daytime running light

Is it possible to do it to our TL?
If so, then how?

I wanted to do engel eyes but it is too hard.
so I want to do daylight running light instead.
Old 05-31-2005 | 06:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ultimatetl
Is it possible to do it to our TL?
If so, then how?

I wanted to do engel eyes but it is too hard.
so I want to do daylight running light instead.
Why don't you just turn on the lights? Just don't forget to turn it off after. Speaking of that, does the 99TL have an auto-off feature in case you forgot to turn off your headlights? Don't want to drain the battery of course.
Old 05-31-2005 | 06:33 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Yea it sure does. DRLs only came on the Canadian models. I have them on my car and love them. There have been numerous posts about this topic, and the general gist that I got is that it would be an extraordinary amount of wiring and shit like that. I believe my whole entire setup is different than regular american models, but perhaps someone with a helms manual or what not could better explain that.
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Comet2404
Yea it sure does. DRLs only came on the Canadian models. I have them on my car and love them. There have been numerous posts about this topic, and the general gist that I got is that it would be an extraordinary amount of wiring and shit like that. I believe my whole entire setup is different than regular american models, but perhaps someone with a helms manual or what not could better explain that.
you are correct. way back abunch looked into this and it was deemed very expensive and complicated to do
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:04 PM
/etc/car

I have daytime running lights on my american 01 TL.

It's the highly technical process of just not turning off the headlights.
Old 05-31-2005 | 10:52 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

My suggestion, is to do the fog light mod and instead of tapping it into the parking lights, tap it into the Radio Fuse and just leave the fog light button pressed at all times and this will just automatically power on the fogs as soon as you turn the keys to the ACC position. Very cheap alternative, I'm 98% sure this will work but experts feel free to chime in correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe Bxscig did this as well.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:07 PM
Race Director

yep, thats the simplest thing to do.

I dont recommned running your HID none-stop. but that fog mod is perfect.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:08 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

just leave the lights on at all times....they turn off by themselves, u just gotta deal with the beeping noise.
plus when u unlock ur doors the lights come on....wich is pretty good
Old 06-01-2005 | 12:37 AM
Drifting

There is a cheap way out of this. There are kits out there that can convert your highbeams into DRLs. They dont run that expensive from what I remember. Beats using your HIDs are DRLs.
Old 06-01-2005 | 12:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
My suggestion, is to do the fog light mod and instead of tapping it into the parking lights, tap it into the Radio Fuse and just leave the fog light button pressed at all times and this will just automatically power on the fogs as soon as you turn the keys to the ACC position. Very cheap alternative, I'm 98% sure this will work but experts feel free to chime in correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe Bxscig did this as well.
Yeah there is some other fuse you can tap into. I just have to try it that when you crank it stays on as well. With the radio fuse they will not stay on duing crank, after the crank it will come on again.
Old 06-02-2005 | 02:12 AM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

DRL"S maybe just a case of wanting that which you don't have? As a younger man I recall DRL's drawing too much attention to my "parked vehicle" that was kept running every 1/2 hr or so for heat in the winter. Girlfriend certaijnly didn't apreciate the extra attention.

Stealth mode driving is impossible.

Those with med. or large draw aftermarket audio systems need to run the vehicle more often at the "Drive In" movies - and lights on during the movie really seems to upset other movie goers.

I wish Canadian vehicles did not require such.
Old 06-02-2005 | 09:05 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Well at the Drive-In theatre here in Atlanta, which is a long time favourite of us since its like 6 bucks for 2 brand new films... bring your own booze, and the sounds comes on through your stereo system!! I just set my parking brake, and my DRLs turn off. But as far as stealth driving is concerned... there have been a few times when I wish I could have turned them off, but all in all, I like having them because I feel that people DO see me more. Not only that but I fear my righ HID is gonna give out on me. It has more of a reddish look to it now than the left one which is purple on my white garage wall. DAMN!!!
Old 06-02-2005 | 09:54 AM
speeded when needed

99 SSM TL - stealth mode is possible if you use this http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...showtopic=1034
just remember to pull the DRL fuse from the driver side fuse panel.
I just leave my fogs in the on position and my light switch in the first position until it gets dark then click it one more time and full lighting (the car is running in this pic.) I personally don't like the DRL's however I do think that having lights on in the daytime is important, this is a great mod if you're in the same boat.
Peace, Jeff

Old 06-03-2005 | 12:35 AM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

Thanks Jeff. I'll take a look at that- but it appears as though I'm having trouble getting that link right now.
Old 06-03-2005 | 07:51 AM
speeded when needed

you may have to register with Acurainspired in order to view the DIY I can't get it to go directly

Peace, Jeff
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:24 PM
Advanced

do Canadian models come with DRL?
if so how is it different than ours?
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:42 PM

Yes, all Canadian model cars are required to have some form of DRL. Some manufacturers make it so the turn signal bulbs are illuminated (obviously not flashing) once you turn the car on, while some cars use the high beam bulbs/bulbs closest to the grille (running at 50% - not as bright) as the Daytime Running Lights. There was a pic of it posted in a much earlier thread, but pics are no longer up and running to show you.

I found this weird when they first introduced it back in the 90's and all my friends in the U.S. wonder why we 'drive with our (front) lights on all the time and during the day' --- but it really DOES help with visibility (cars seeing you)....especially in darker and extremely bright days.
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:42 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by ultimatetl
do Canadian models come with DRL?
if so how is it different than ours?
I think we've established that they do!

BTW Ryan, I think you were behind me one day a couple of months ago around Georgia Tech! There was a silver 99-01 style TL in my rearview with DRL, and I mentioned it to my best friend about the Canadian model and DRL. Do you run around in that area? I have an Anthracite TL-P.
Old 06-16-2005 | 10:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I found this weird when they first introduced it back in the 90's and all my friends in the U.S. wonder why we 'drive with our (front) lights on all the time and during the day' --- but it really DOES help with visibility (cars seeing you)....especially in darker and extremely bright days.
So true, it helps for others to notice you more so than you see better during the day. maybe those few times you head into a tunnel for the short amount of time.

You can make DRLs for the US models, real easy addon.
Old 06-16-2005 | 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bxscig
So true, it helps for others to notice you more so than you see better during the day. maybe those few times you head into a tunnel for the short amount of time.

Oh yeah...for sure. And no, they aren't really meant to help with your visibility much, as they only run at 50% of the usual high beams. I think we adopted the mandatory DRL custom from somewhere in Europe, where they run DRL as well and noticed a drastic decline in accidents.
Old 06-17-2005 | 06:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bxscig

Do you have any insturction how it can be done?
Old 06-17-2005 | 08:23 AM
Drifting

http://www.brandsonsale.com/daytime-...light-kit.html

I did not buy this one or any other one. But these should be the things that you are looking for. There is a way, simple mod to make your fog lights into DRLs if you just leave the button pushed. if you like that, it is possible $10 and some wiring and you are done.