Day Time Running Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Day Time Running Lights??

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE MAKE A MODULE OR PLUG IN RELAY WITH HARNESS TO HOOK UP TO YOUR HIGH BEAMS FOR DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS?? I WAS CONSIDERING USING THE REGULAR HEADLAMPS BUT I THINK THEY WOULD PRODUCE TOO MUCH HEAT BEING ON ALL THE TIME PLUS THE BULBS ARE EXPENSIVE AND IT WOULD SHORTEN THE LIFE OF ALL THE HID COMPONENTS THANKS - BENNY
Old 05-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benny as far as I know there is nothing that we can do.
I talked to the service maneger at my dealership about a AC DELCO module that they sell. He said they tried it on an RL & they had problems. I think this might be with the auto off lights.
I think it did work with other models that did not have them.
I wanted DRLs also but ACURA/HONDA screwed this up.
I still don't see why its that hard to do because the cars in Canada have them. The service maneger told me that quite a few people had asked about them. I just run with HID on 100% of the time. I have done this since day one of ownership & that has been slightly over 2years. The HID bulbs should last a long time they offer improved energy efficiency & lamp durability.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by FTM-1
Benny as far as I know there is nothing that we can do.
I talked to the service maneger at my dealership about a AC DELCO module that they sell. He said they tried it on an RL & they had problems. I think this might be with the auto off lights.
I think it did work with other models that did not have them.
I wanted DRLs also but ACURA/HONDA screwed this up.
I still don't see why its that hard to do because the cars in Canada have them. The service maneger told me that quite a few people had asked about them. I just run with HID on 100% of the time. I have done this since day one of ownership & that has been slightly over 2years. The HID bulbs should last a long time they offer improved energy efficiency & lamp durability.
My understanding is that the wiring harness for us in Canada is different than those in the USA and thus you cannot have DRL in the USA.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BLEXV6

My understanding is that the wiring harness for us in Canada is different than those in the USA and thus you cannot have DRL in the USA.
This is correct. It is not just as easy as plugging in a DRL module to get DRLs on your TL. The wiring schematics are dramatically different. There is no easy or cheap way to get DRLs on a U.S. spec TL/CL. If you really want to run lights during the day but are concerned about the longevity of your HIDs, you can always do the fog light re-wire and run just the parking lights and fog lights during the day. Gives you better visibility but keeps the HIDs off. Just make sure it is legal to do this in your state--some don't allow it.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally posted by pianoman41

This is correct. It is not just as easy as plugging in a DRL module to get DRLs on your TL. The wiring schematics are dramatically different. There is no easy or cheap way to get DRLs on a U.S. spec TL/CL. If you really want to run lights during the day but are concerned about the longevity of your HIDs, you can always do the fog light re-wire and run just the parking lights and fog lights during the day. Gives you better visibility but keeps the HIDs off. Just make sure it is legal to do this in your state--some don't allow it.
That would be very nice Matt but he has a 99 & I have a 2000. What that counts for is ACURA did not give us FOGLIGHTS. They don't even have some that fit in the cut outs that look stock.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FTM-1
That would be very nice Matt but he has a 99 & I have a 2000. What that counts for is ACURA did not give us FOGLIGHTS. They don't even have some that fit in the cut outs that look stock.
D'oh!! Forgot that little fact. Yep, that makes my suggestion moot and pretty much makes you guys SOL unless you want to run the HIDs all the time....
Old 05-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro

I was planning to put DRL on my 02 TL-S, i am going to make it like the LEXUS GS...they have an extra wedge bulb as their DRL and not their high beams. Just drill a small hole....insert a wedge bulb...wire it to turn on when the car is on or the key is in the ACC position
Old 05-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Instructor

I was thinking of that also it looks unique well for now until were all doing it