Dad just experienced VTEC for the first time...how sweet it was!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dad just experienced VTEC for the first time...how sweet it was!!!

So I'm driving in the car with my dad, and he turns to me and asks "you should know about this. I'm afraid to push this car (TL-S) past 4500 RPM's, but even when i'm up there, there's not much of a boost". So I'm like, have you ever floored the gas from 20 MPH or even floored it on the highway...? he's like "no I haven't". So that's just about when I fell out of my seat. I was like "holy f*ck. I've had this car for almost 6 months and you've never had VTEC kick in when you drive it". He's like "VTEC" what the hell is that?

I immediately made him turn onto a side street, and gave him specific instructions on how to feel VTEC. Not to mention guys that tonight was unbelieveable temperature for the cars. it was like 60 degrees outside, and 0 humidity. Anyhow, he pulls off of a green light turn, I told him to leave the car in SS mode in 2nd gear coming off the turn, and gunn the gas right to the floor, and keep it there until 100 km/h. Well he pretty much yelled as loud as any individual would on a rollercoaster. He was completely floored (no pun intended) at how much power this car could put out. I think we have another addicted TL driver. I can't wait to see my gas mileage plummet now that my dad learned about VTEC. Watch my 300 miles to a tank flourish down to 50 miles to the tank

oh well, whatever makes the old man happy!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hahah my dad was the same way when he gunned on my car...hence why he eased off me about my mods..hahahah
Old 09-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you drive manual or autotragic?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:50 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

My parents are coming to visit me in the USA for the first time in a few days.. Being dutch, they're used to small cars with small 4 bangers .. my dad's SO gonna love my TL and the MDX

Tracer
Old 09-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by arlan
do you drive manual or autotragic?
He said TL.

TL's do not come in manual (yet).

You should be able to put the clues together now.

Unless of course you think you're on ACL.com
Old 09-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by The Acclude
He said TL.

TL's do not come in manual (yet).

You should be able to put the clues together now.

Unless of course you think you're on ACL.com
that last sentence didn't make sense?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2004TL
that last sentence didn't make sense?
Guy with 88 posts is on a message board for a car that does not come in manual yet.

If you change 1 letter in cars name, you have a totally different (sharing many of the same features though) car.

Said other car comes in manual.

With the guy beng oblivious to transmission choices, perhaps he thought he was posting on acura-cl.com
Old 09-24-2003, 12:25 AM
l33t

awesome dude...

my boss has a X5 4.4 sport... and anyone who has driven a bimmer hard, knows about the little "button" at the bottom of the throttle pedal

well he didnt know, so i said "floor it, and when you think your at the floor, push harder"

so he did, and his sh!t took off like a bat out of hell

so he started using it. alot

the trip to west palm beach from tampa took twice as much gas that day ehehhehehe
Old 09-24-2003, 12:39 AM
booooo

Originally posted by Darkshear
awesome dude...
well he didnt know, so i said "floor it, and when you think your at the floor, push harder"

getting in the 740il tomorrow to try it.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:42 AM
booooo

BTW my dad is an active supporter of my mods, he hates when people do stupid **** like neons, but performance mods he loves!

my dad drove my car a few times, but w/o me in it cuz we switch cars every now and then (tl & 01 740iL) i wonder if he ever hit v tec....knowing my dad im sure he did!
who do you know that has a better drivers record than thier father?

dude has 10 points from speeding in the bimmer!

damn now im curious as hell about that button thing!

ahh brb lol
Old 09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Darkshear
awesome dude...

my boss has a X5 4.4 sport... and anyone who has driven a bimmer hard, knows about the little "button" at the bottom of the throttle pedal

so he started using it. alot

the trip to west palm beach from tampa took twice as much gas that day ehehhehehe
little button? Does your boss have some kind of exclusive BMW with a hidden Turbo charger???
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
l33t

lol no nothing special

the V8's (not sure about the stright 6's) behind the acclererator pedal, have a button. it looks like a stopper, and it is really, but push it, and its a button than when at full throttle and its pressed, it forced the transmission to downshift AGAIN (unless your in the real top end) and you really take off.

i never looked in the 7 series for it, but im sure its there.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

My dad was the same way about mine. He use to have a cadillac, the big four door pimp ride. it had the northstar v-8, piece of crap by the way(he sold due to too many problems). anyway I brought my car to him and just the interior blew him away not to mention the navigation, touch screen and the autostick.
But he was very surprised when he hit the gas and the car took off like a rocket.
I am still not use to it. I have to check my speed every 10 minutes cause i am not use to that much power compared to my 4cyl integra that i sold. I'll look down and be like "whoooooa nelly!" slow this thing down before they put me under the jail.
Everyday i get in it something shows why i fell in love with it.

If some of you don't know, I have not had mine for over a month yet. Now you can understand the excitement i have.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:51 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I let my father drive my car a couple days ago and he said he'd never drive it again. He told me he was gtting on a highway and floored it, he said all of a sudden the engine started screaming and he was thrown in the seat and the car pulled so fast he had to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting someone. He doubted me before mods, but now its a different story.