Curb rash and lease wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Curb rash and lease wear and tear

So I've had a craptacular day today and it isn't even lunch time! I made the bonehead move of trying to make a quick U-turn with my S.S. TL-S and hit the curb, scrapping the bottom portion of the front bumber, and causing a puncture in my front right tire, caused when I hit the curb hard. Now the rim looks (imho) to be NOT dented, but has a scrape on the lip of about 1" long. More like a gouge than a scrape really, bu not a very deep gouge. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of damage when it comes time to return a leased car? Is that kind of damage frowned upon? This sucks. I have to get that crappy michelin tire replaced and now might have to fix my rim!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Damn that sucks... sorry to hear that.

It is not the same thing but a while back I had a buddy with a new 3rd gen RX7 (new to him anyway). Well he decided he would gas it hard coming out of the work parking lot and when he did the rear end broke free, big time, swung around, and he messed up his rims sort of like you are describing, scraped/gouged on the side.

So to my point.... he just found a same year rim on ebay or somewhere in excellent condition and had the part that he messed up repainted. I know you don't wanna hear this and I am just speculating but I am pretty sure they aren't gonna consider that normal wear and tear if it significant at all.

Either way, I hope the day shapes up.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
When Acura takes in a car from lease, they check everything, although they might not see the curb rash, there is a great chance they will. Threre are people out there that fix curb rashes, I know this because I just had a rim fixed on my stock 05 rims ( had it fixed when I took em off so i could sell the set ) and they do good jobs, you just have to look in the yellow pages and call around. I had two minor curb rashes, on the same rim, and they fixed it for $100, so good luck!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Advanced

My co-worker helped my change the tire. Apparently it had these pretty nasty nails embedded in the tread anyways! At least that takes the sting out a little! My cow-worker thought the scrape was nothing. Since the wheel is off I'll take it to a shop to see if the wheel is true. If it is, the scrape so small, and on the inside of the lip that I will chance it. There is a much bigger scrape on another wheel that I think I have to worry about. I sound like a bad driver, but I'm more a victim of circumstances.

Thanks for the thought guys!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Shit happens, I know how you feel, that doesnt make you a bad driver, you just had a bad moment.