Crappy week already!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 09:53 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crappy week already!

Just need to vent!

Got my car towed on Saturday night/Sunday Morning. Cost 100 bucks to get it back. I admit it was my fault but I didn't think it would get towed within the hour and a half it was there. I inspected the car and everything looked fine. When I called the company the first thing the guy told me was that he took care of the car. I was still pissed but at the same time the guy was doing his job so I just paid the 100 and got my car back. Killed the rest of the night and the good mood I had going.

Last night my fiancee got into an accident in her accord coupe. Wasn't her fault but she sustained the worst of the three cars involved. We were in the right lane of a two lane road with a car up ahead being a little indecisive and slow. Well a car in the left lane sped by us and decided to go around on the left of the lexus ahead. At the last moment the lexus decides to make a left and clips the other car's rear (as she sped by). The driver in the other car (corolla I think) panics and apparently turns the wheel hard right. well we had just past the lexus who now had slowed down so the corolla came crashing into our car and pushed us onto the sidewalk/curb, which in turn blow out our passenger side front tire. This all happened pretty quickly but fortunately no one was hurt. My fiancee's accord got dented pretty badly on the front driver quarter panel including the door, which doesn't open enough to get in and out of. Both the front wheels were hit, one by the corolla and the other by the curb. Fortunately only one blew. After taking to the cops I proceeded to change the wheel and put in the doughnut.

What makes me mad is that she loves her car as much as I love mine so I know what she is feeling. I also feel partly responsible because we were on our way to the grocery store and I decided I didn't want to drive. Had I driven this wouldn't have happened!

On the bright side, she was not at fault and the damage does not seem extensive. My guess is she should get a new door, front quarter panel and two new tires (I am going to press for the second tire because I don't want it developing a bubble down the road and what not). The rear panel got a few nicks but I think a paint job and some dent wizard should take care of that. Internally I think the car should be fine (dent wasn't deep enough) and I don't think the collision was strong enough or at an angle where the integrity of the chassis was compromised, although I still want it checked out. Suspension might have been damaged when we hit the curb so I suspect they may have to change that, at least on the passenger side. Do you think they would need to repaint the whole car seeing how one side was damaged? I don't want the car having new paint on one side and not the other.

We will probably go through her insurance since it was a three car accident. When I had a minor accident in my galant I personally went after the other person's insurance because I was not at fault. My fiancee though would prefer to have her insurance go after the other people's insurance.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to vent a little (or a lot in this case). Oh and the lady handled the collision well. She didn't panic (like the other person) and brought the car under control without jerking the wheel or taking her hands off it.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks to hear it Fred

Don't blame yourself. That is a bad way to think. That like saying if you were lazy adn decided to stay home and buy groceries another day it wouldn't have happened. Accidents will happen. That's why manufacturs design safety features and there is car insurance. If you think tyou will go through life and never have an accident you are kidding yourself. It happens to the bst of us even if it' isn't your fault.

Anyway, her suspension is probably fine. If you want to have it checked go for it. But if it's broken, you will kow immediately. As for tires...never reaplce just one tire. It's ALWAYS 2 or 4. You don't want to have a difference in tread between 2 sides. As for paint, they shoudl only have to paint the door and quarter panel. Matching paint is no problem for any competent shop. Sicne she and you lvoe that car....don't skimp on the shop like you did in the days of the Galant. Insurance usually gives you much more than your damage is worth, so use it wisely. Go to a goo shop. And the car should look perfect again. Good luck, let me knwo what I can do.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:25 AM
still a Masshole

Thanks bud. I was gonna call you yesterday but I didn't want to talk about it in front of her cuz she was not in a good mood. I'll call you later tonight. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, ferizzo, don't beat yourself up...you might as well say...if we didn't need to eat, we wouldn't have been going to the grocery store...hence, no accident...it's pointless.

Doesn't sound like it's too bad though...but, it does make you sick when it first happens. You have to put it into perspective...be glad it wasn't worse, and realize that the most important thing is that no one was hurt. Machines can be fixed. Best wishes!
Old 10-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Having Fun?

That stinks. Don't worry about car, it'll get fixed back to good again And yah, if the suspension (strut) was damaged by the impact/curb you would know right away.

btw, how come your car got towed?

-copland007
Old 10-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Racer

I think he parked in a lot meant only for a store's patrons when he went out for dinenr saturday night.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
still a Masshole

Yup, Ray nailed it. Getting towed was my fault. I just figured I wouldn't get towed within the hour and a half I was in there. Thought the grocery store was still open too.

Thanks guys. I'm not beating myself up for it I just feel bad for my fiancee cuz she feels sh!tty. I got the police report and the writing implies that she was not at fault so now we can go after the other people's insurance. She wants to get her car fixed and back on the road ASAP.