cop pulled me over

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt--it's my bro who's in the window tinting business; and it wouldn't surprise me if there are laws in the books in many states regarding retailer liability in doing stuff like illegal tinting. My point in all this was in response to the other guy who was implying (not "saying"--two different meanings) that retailers should get busted along with the person caught with the illegal tints, all because said guy didn't like the idea that he was the only one getting busted just for having illegal tints (the "harassment" issue).

Put it this way--if I got pulled over because I had illegal tints, am I gonna whine to no one in particular that if I'm gonna get busted for illegal tints, then the guy who put it on my car should get busted too? Of course not--it's almost like saying that since the tint shop was the one who put it on my car, it's their fault that I have illegal tints, so they should get busted too; IOW--saying that since they put it on my car and I'm the only one who got busted for it, they should go down with me even though I'm the one who asked them to put it on in the first place and that I even knew that it would be against the law to do so.

Tony
Old 06-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by tdoh
Matt--it's my bro who's in the window tinting business; and it wouldn't surprise me if there are laws in the books in many states regarding retailer liability in doing stuff like illegal tinting. My point in all this was in response to the other guy who was implying (not "saying"--two different meanings) that retailers should get busted along with the person caught with the illegal tints, all because said guy didn't like the idea that he was the only one getting busted just for having illegal tints (the "harassment" issue).

Put it this way--if I got pulled over because I had illegal tints, am I gonna whine to no one in particular that if I'm gonna get busted for illegal tints, then the guy who put it on my car should get busted too? Of course not--it's almost like saying that since the tint shop was the one who put it on my car, it's their fault that I have illegal tints, so they should get busted too; IOW--saying that since they put it on my car and I'm the only one who got busted for it, they should go down with me even though I'm the one who asked them to put it on in the first place and that I even knew that it would be against the law to do so.

Tony

Tony, can your bro hoook me up with tinting my TL? I called 3 shops today and they all want around $225 for all the windows and they made it clear that the fronts are illegal. I think as long as they tell the customers that it is illegal and the customer insist on having them on, it's the customer's responsiblity.

:o
Old 06-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by silver03TL

Tony, can your bro hoook me up with tinting my TL? I called 3 shops today and they all want around $225 for all the windows and they made it clear that the fronts are illegal. I think as long as they tell the customers that it is illegal and the customer insist on having them on, it's the customer's responsiblity.

they also make you sign some paper saying you know that tinting the front is illegal. i dunno about other places but thats what happened when my friend tinted his windows
Old 06-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by silver03TL

silver03TL--actually, I think $225 for all windows (I assume when you say "all" you mean the fronts too) isn't that bad of a price...depending of course on what kind of tint they use. Although my bro might be able to hook you up, keep in mind he isn't out there to beat competitor's tint prices; he'll tell you straight-up he charges what he charges because he uses high-quality tint film and he does a really good job putting it on, plus guarantees workmanship and quality for as long as the tint is on the car. It may sound rude or arrogant, but he'll tell people who tell him that shop X can do it for less that they're more than welcome to go to shop X if savings is all they're looking for; hey, if they can find a shop who can do just as good a tint job or better at a lower price, more power to them. Reputation is just as important as bringing in as much money as possible--you can't make money if people diss your work, you know.

In any case, my bro is based in Sac so I don't know if you're willing to drive all the way up there. However, he did have one guy drive all the way from Marin County to get his car tinted, and was willing to pay top dollar for a great tint job; needless to say, he was more than satisfied.

Tony
Old 06-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by tdoh

silver03TL--actually, I think $225 for all windows (I assume when you say "all" you mean the fronts too) isn't that bad of a price...depending of course on what kind of tint they use. Although my bro might be able to hook you up, keep in mind he isn't out there to beat competitor's tint prices; he'll tell you straight-up he charges what he charges because he uses high-quality tint film and he does a really good job putting it on, plus guarantees workmanship and quality for as long as the tint is on the car. It may sound rude or arrogant, but he'll tell people who tell him that shop X can do it for less that they're more than welcome to go to shop X if savings is all they're looking for; hey, if they can find a shop who can do just as good a tint job or better at a lower price, more power to them. Reputation is just as important as bringing in as much money as possible--you can't make money if people diss your work, you know.

In any case, my bro is based in Sac so I don't know if you're willing to drive all the way up there. However, he did have one guy drive all the way from Marin County to get his car tinted, and was willing to pay top dollar for a great tint job; needless to say, he was more than satisfied.

Tony

The shops I've called use Solarguard and Silhouette, which I never heard of. I'm still debating if I want to have the fronts tinted and yes, I'm looking for top quality tint and a good tint job. That's why I sort of hesitated on those shops. Guess I'll do some homework before I decide what I want to do. Thanks for the info though, but Sac is kinda far just to do tint job.

Old 06-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Racer

in NC you have to pay a 10 dollar fee everytime we have to get it inspected.

it's utter bull**** since the inspection place is usually a jiffy lube with untrained monkeys.

it's corruption.

they don't even posses or use a light meter that the tint places use to determine legality.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 AM
Burning Brakes

wow, didn't know anyone would care to talk about this. let me put it this way. yes, my front tint is "bad" and "wrong" but so is cop cars parking in red zones for coffee, speeding excessively, crossing double yellows for dounuts and most of all, inciting highspeed chases. think about it. cops have caused all this chaos. they are menacing when they try to pull you over that even me, a somewhat "Good" guy feels the urge to run when they tail me. you wanna talk about wrong, im not the only one guilty, but i am the only one paying for it...
Old 07-26-2002, 05:13 AM
Burning Brakes

This is what i wrote to my friend today:

I had the most horrible cop experience ever today. i was picking up my friend from his apt from school. its near dusk. i have all of my lights on. im signalling to turn left and there is a cop in front of me. he doesnt go, so i wave an acknowledgement and turn. he then follows me. i pick up my friend and then he turns on his lights. he proceeds to literally BOX me in in an agressive manner( you had to see it for yourself) after i already pulled over. he hauls his fat ass over to me and tells me that i dont have plates. i show him my permit and he doesnt believe me. so he goes and checks it out. I swear, i didnt say anything but i did show frustrated body language. i had three friends in the car. he tells me i have a bad attitude and says that he can do all sorts of punitive things to me. he asks me if i have tint on my windows and i thought i could get away with it so i lied. he told me to roll them up and threatened to arrest me for "lying to an officer is a misdimeanor." he takes my info back to his cop car, tells me that he has verified the permit for the plates but still doesnt believe me. so i tell him how i ordered new ones and they took my old ones. he then looks at my friends and says hell let me go if they all tell him that ill "learn my lesson." he was basically embarrassing me in front of my friends. you should have seen the satisfaction in his face as they all pleaded with him to let me go. i couldnt pick my head up because i was trying so hard not to explode with fury. I hadnt dont a damn thing wrong and ive been pulled over 4 times in 5 weeks. (first was the tint on 6-2. second they said i made an illegal u turn but i didn't see any posted signs. third, the cop told me to turn on my high beams because he didn't like my projector xenon. than todays incident) i honestly dont know what to do. i cant take it anymore. im basically being punished for fixing up my car and being unique. please help. help me figure out the cops achilles heal so i can defend myself. there has got to be something i can do to fight back. i know my tint is illegal, but any harassment besides that is harassment. HE THREATENED TO ARREST ME!!!!!! a 20 yr old kid. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am no criminal. i deserve to be treated with respect like any other citizen. im no less a person because my car is unique. innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. cops make me want to run away and pick up shot guns and go after them. they abuse their power far too often. someone has to teach these school children that it is not ok to be mean to the other kids...
Old 07-26-2002, 07:37 AM
Racer

Dude, again??? You've got the worst luck in the world .
Old 07-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

With you getting pulled over as frequently as you state, along with the fact that you're getting "harassed"--next time bring along a video camera so that if/when you file a complaint about the cop's behavior, you'll have proof to back it up.

What he did was totally unprofessional--he should have just given you the ticket and let you on your way, nothing more.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disect it any way you want but the bottom line is you're breaking the law.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Lawaia, i dont think you understood me. he pulled me over for having no plates. i HAVE a visible red permit on the front windshield from the DMV giving me PERMISSION to do so. how is it the cop is correct?

if he was doing his job, he may pull me over, see the red permit, check the valid date and say, sorry for bothering you SIR, have a F^*^ing nice day. correct?
Old 07-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alexxx

I would not go by that site. If the NY tint laws are wrong who knows if the site is wrong about other states. According to them front side windows are 70%. The legal is 35%

As far as the case, I see no way out. Unless you go to court and catch the cop when he is on vacation, that way he won't show up.

As they say, "If you play, you will pay"
Actually the NY law is 70% not 35% so that site is right. I went to DMV and got the NY state drivers law book, and the law for tint is in there. 70% front and back and unlimited in the back.

I understand that cops want to fell safe when they approach the vehicle. Two things that are wrong with this.

1) If you roll your windows down before they get out of the car, rain, snow whatever they shouldnt bother you because you have shown the cop what you and your passengers are doing. If the cop asks you to roll up your windows they are just looking to write thier quota for the month.

2) How come an Expedition or Excursions can have like 20% tint on them when they can fit five times the amount of people than a car can? There can be 8 people with guns pointing at the cop. That just doesnt make sense.