Considering Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:15 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Intake

Hey all-

I'm thinking about getting an intake for the '99 TL, and had a few questions those of you who have one. To get a feel for the sound, I took the intake assembly off and did a short sprint on the highway (of course I don't recommend running vehicles with the air filter removed, but for less than 3 minutes, it should be OK). The sound was perfect! It isn't as loud as the B16 VTEC (The 99-00 Civic Si is extremely loud with an intake), and felt to be more responsive. A few concerns, though...

- I'd never seen an airbox with so much equipment in it -- I searched the forum and found out about the little radiator device in the airbox -- it looks to pre-heat the incoming air for emissions purposes in cold weather. The problem is that heat builds up in the "heater" all the time -- apparently hot coolant flows 100% time. We all know that most of the intake assembly is to quiet the sound for the American public (present company excluded). I'd like to get rid of it...

-My #1 goal is a little more power, with a close 2nd being fuel economy. Have you found that a K&N filter on a short-ram improves fuel econ and power? I'm not looking for a huge increase, but a throaty sound and better responsiveness was noticed with no filter (before the engine bay heated-up). I'm really concerned about a loss in power from heat and lesser efficiency due to timing adjustment. I can't imagine it being worse than that little heater in the airbox, geez.

Thanks in advance for any help...

RH77
'99 TL, Silver, Stock, 90K miles (original tranny)
Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be better off just simply removing the intake resonator, and throwing in a K&N filter. I know that a couple guys on this forum, including fsttyms1 has gone further and cut more of the intake off, in order for more air to be sucked in, which results in a louder growl while at full throttle or in range of VTEC. What I would suggest is simply doing this mod (since it's free) and seeing how you like it. If you want to go one more step further, you can remove one of the exhaust resonators and replace it with a straight pipe. This will also give you a deeper tone, and in combination with your intake resonator being removed, the sound should be fairly satisfying. If money is no object, then definitely grab a CAI, but it will run you about 250-300 when all is said and done. I would definitely first remove the intake resonator, and see how you like the difference. My buddy has a 99TL and has his resonator removed, and you can pretty much hear it past 3k RPM. When he's almost at full throttle, the sound is much deeper.

Go for it, and best of all...it's free!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:38 PM
7th Gear

Thanks SC. I had the intake assembly apart and noticed that the resonator is easily removed from the threaded clamp (I'm assuming that it's the U-shaped tube between the airbox and the throttle body???). If this is removed, what do you do to plug the hole? Thanks again...

RH77
Old 06-17-2004, 05:48 PM
7th Gear

OK -- I figured it out. The tube is probably part of a moisture collection system, and the resonator is in the fender. I removed it with the instructions on this site -- great idea! I took it out and it sounds great under WOT +3500 rpm. I'll look for a K&N to drop-in. Definitely a cheaper/easier plan. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on a '99 also and I had the same inquiry 2 weeks ago...i got an Injen 2pc CAI (off this site's store is the cheapest) and headers+iridium plugs+CL-S throttle body+pullies+vafc. Before i put all this in, i put the intake and test drove it. YES, it gives a notizable amount of exptra power, a beautifull sound when you kik the gas which gets SICK on Vtec range. You do get better milege since now the engine car breathe better (more effective)

Dud, you all wrong, the resonator is a HUGE BLACK BOX right under the intake "assembly"...to remove it, you have to take the bumper off and take out the 2 screws that hold it in... The U shaped thing is what hooks the motor to the intake...if you take it off then why the hell do you think cars have air filters?

ps: removing the bumper is easier than you think, its just uncliping and pulling the bumper off. Installing the CAI is even easier so i recomend to save youself $50 and do it yourself (3/10 dificulties, no skills required either) If you need the money, remove resonator if you dont mind spending $217shipped for this intake i suggest you get it.

peace.