Comptech sway bars installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by BlackShadow
I am good against peer pressure so I am going to wait until the spring to get the sways.
Me too but the opposite...I'm gonna get coilovers in spring...I got sways even though the majority told me to get inspire/tl-s tails...

I just ordered the Comptech sways today from Tim at www.autocarparts.com
Old 10-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mikester

Come back and talk to us some more later when you hit a pothole and tear up your frame.
I dont understand the tone of this message (smily face in particular). Does this mean you actually want my frame to be torn? Why not wish me luck instead. Shouldn't the board in general be glad that other's are trying out other scenarios? Obviously I was the first to go completely with the Neuspeed setup and IF...and mind you, only IF in the long run the frame still holds up ok, then couldn't it be a possibility that MAYBE there might be better solutions out there? Tim warned me of the potential danger I'm getting myself into (as there is with most first timers) but even he himself thanked me for being venturous enough to try out his other products and that maybe I would start a new tier of clients pending on my future posts. Hell, I'm even going to give rides the next cali meet I attend so that maybe we can learn and compare differences in each other's setup (a learning experience...not a competition). But then again maybe you're the type of person that would condem me for not opting to go with a bi-pass valve on my CAI even though I live in the hilly part of California.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by edgalang

I dont understand the tone of this message (smily face in particular). Does this mean you actually want my frame to be torn? Why not wish me luck instead. Shouldn't the board in general be glad that other's are trying out other scenarios? Obviously I was the first to go completely with the Neuspeed setup and IF...and mind you, only IF in the long run the frame still holds up ok, then couldn't it be a possibility that MAYBE there might be better solutions out there? Tim warned me of the potential danger I'm getting myself into (as there is with most first timers) but even he himself thanked me for being venturous enough to try out his other products and that maybe I would start a new tier of clients pending on my future posts. Hell, I'm even going to give rides the next cali meet I attend so that maybe we can learn and compare differences in each other's setup (a learning experience...not a competition). But then again maybe you're the type of person that would condem me for not opting to go with a bi-pass valve on my CAI even though I live in the hilly part of California.
Of course I don't want your frame to be torn. Sorry about the mixed tone of the post. I just found it odd that you were sort of criticizing all of us for not venturing off the beaten path so to speak, yet the path you chose has a high degree of risk. I have read your posts about the sways (because I was reading everything about sways before I ordered), and I just can't understand why someone would risk damage to a $30k+ brand new vehicle just to satisfy that "my mod is better than your mod" mentality. But, to each his own, I guess.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by mikester

I just found it odd that you were sort of criticizing all of us for not venturing off the beaten path so to speak...
I know it may have sounded like that from my original post, but it was actually directed towards vperkins. The northern cali meet is only a weekend away and I would of thought he would of at least waited to try them out (sways in general) before taking the plunge and deciding which ones to get, (just like how he was curious about the CAI and wanted to examine mine before commiting to anything). I too have a similar mentality, but at the same time my scenario was slightly different because noone was readily available to offer me a ride, but, if I was in his scenario I might have waited just a few days especially if I wasn't going to install it myself anyways.

Also, it's not about having the better mod, and I really hope that the people who follows these threads don't think that that's what it's all about. You could have a bone stock TLS and I would of still ordered the same, regardless if NOONE talked about brand X at all. It's all about deciding on your own based on facts and documentated data, while at the same time satisfying my curiosity about the "unknown". This is just like when I opted to go for the Injen just because it's less popular and everyone else sweared by AEM, so obviously, I questioned what the competion had to offer (maybe that's a bad thing, but if we don't try, then we'd never know).

If I indeed made a mistake and later on regret what I did, I would report it as fair and as informative as I could (and warn others NOT to get my setup), just as I would do if I realized that I did make the right decision. It's true that everyone else talks about the dangers of the frame possibly ripping off from under you while traversing over a pothole, yet noone was able to verify this first hand that it hapened to a TL. Call me crazy, but I also think it's logical thinking to instead of being afraid of what might happen, to rather think of a solution to this potential dangerous scenario. Brackets in the future? Welding? Who knows, maybe I don't have to do either and we could all feel much better knowing that we've just expanded our selection without the fear of underbody damage all simply because 1 person tried something new.

This reminds me of someone else on the board that wanted to spray tint their turn lights, but at the same time is too afraid to commit to the project. So, to protect his investment he asked if someone else can try it before he did. At first this annoyed the hell out of me because he wanted to use others as his own personal guinea pig, and was too chicken to try it out himself, but at the same time I too am curious what the outcome might be. So...just as I turned curious about his corner light project, I'm sure there will be plenty of members who would be interested in hearing about my ventures as well.

So, to sum it all up, I'm sure you'll be happy with your sways regardless of which one you get (since I sincerely believe that Tim wouldn't offer us anything but the best). I'm just saying that if you lived around northern cali, I would of suggested you a ride in mine first before buying anything. People compare springs all the time, just like the Injen vs AEM CAI question, yet not once have we heard anything about any other sways but Comptechs. (Don't think I do this for anybody...just for acura-tl board members )
Old 10-13-2001, 03:52 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would of offered you a ride in mine first before buying anything. (Don't think I do this for anybody...just for acura-tl board members )
Since I am a member of Acura-TL board, would you mind driving to NJ so I can take a test drive in your car?
Old 10-13-2001, 04:00 AM

Since I am a member of Acura-TL board, would you mind driving to NJ so I can take a test drive in your car?

I'm just saying that if you lived around northern cali, I would of suggested you a ride in mine first before buying anything.
:p
Old 10-13-2001, 09:53 AM
Banned

edgalang - You make a lot of good points. Sorry I was so b!tchy yesterday. Good luck with your sways, and please do report back to us on how they work out, either way.
Old 10-13-2001, 09:56 AM
Banned

Yeah, maybe he should go on tour so all of us could check out his sways. Let's see, he needs to hit California, Chicago, Texas, Florida, NY/NJ, and Boston. That should take care of about 75% of the people on this board - the rest will have to persuade him to come to their area.

So, is someone going to make T-Shirts, or what?