Comptech Supercharger and Rick Case Mystery Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Supercharger and Rick Case Mystery Mod

I am under the impression that the extra HP from the TL-S to the TL is created solely because of the intake manifold. I know suspension, interior, wheels, and other things are different, but I have been told that an '02 TL-S wit the Comptech SC and an '02 TL-P with the Comptech SC will be the same in the respects to HP because the SC replaces all of the "difference-makers" between the Type S and Regular.

1. Is this true or have I just been duped?

2. Will the Rick Case Mystery Mod work with the SC. If so, how much crazy power are we talking about for the TL/TL-S?

Thanks,

Burt
Old 11-01-2001, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't forget about the compression ratio between the S and P. Maybe the fact that the S has a higher compression ratio, it cannot be set up with a boost (PSI) as high as one can on a P with it's lower comp. ratio. The roots style S.C. is more efficient in regards to heating up the air compared to a centrifugal (I Think?)but I'm a fan of intercoolers and high compression with no intercooler, hmmm, aside from usual retarding the timing, there's not much boost you can push in there.

I'm no expert, but I have no idea what would be the outcome of using the M.M. and a S.C. on the same engine. Would the Helmholtz effect still be as effective? Somewhat same question regarding the effectiveness of the S' intake compared to the P's. All I know is if you improve the passage of the incoming air(ie, port/polish , heads, valves, etc) on any engine regardless of N.A. or Forced Ind. it improves ofcourse.

I don't know, I'd like to see responses from all the experts on the board.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-01-2001, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roots is the least efficient SC. Its moves a charge of atmospheric pressure air into
the manifold, so compression actually takes place in the manifold. It's always fighting
the reversion of pressure from the manifold back into the supercharger which causes
high heat and more energy to power. The most efficient is the type that actually
compresses air inside the unit and then moves the pressurized air into the manifold.
I know many people remove all intake restrictions (butterflies) and extrude hone all
irregularities out. The pressure created by the supercharger is greater than the natural
resonance effect. And since there's always positive pressure (no negative pressure
pockets), the resonance isn't needed. This is as far as I understand it. Please correct
me if I made a mistake.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking about the twin screw whipple charger (type) compared to the centrifugal supercharger. That Comptech unit looks like a Eaton S.C., which is a roots I believe. Kenne Bell markets their Whipple chargers as being efficient in compressing air without as much temp increase as a centifugal S.C. Ahhh, don't mind me, my heads still filled with playing around with my Stang for the past several years. Bottom line is that any forced induction raises the intake charge temps.

On the opposite side, you got what I mean by my questioning if resonance has as much a effect on a forced induction application.

And the same goes for me, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Where are all the expert's?