Coilovers vs. Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers vs. Springs

My buddy keeps pounding into my head that coilovers are far superior to lowering springs.

I found that www.ground-control.com sells a set of coilovers that will work with our stock struts for $399.

Has anyone seen these or installed them?

I do like the fact that with the coilovers it is up to me how far the car is lowered rather than the manufacturer of the spring. This particular coilover kit would allow up to a 3 inch drop...if you're so inclined.

I'm starting to think it's worth the extra $100 to go with the coilovers.

Can someone point out to me why the Comptech springs would be the better route?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Drifting

There are three different categories.

1. springs/shocks combination - advantage : when shocks wear out, you still have your springs

2. sleeve coilovers - these fit over shocks. advantage : adjustable, low cost, disadvantage : ride quality sux

3. true coilovers - these are a mated shock/spring pair advantage : ultimate ride quality and height control disdvantage : costly, need to replace the whole thing when shocks wear out

Basically what your friend is saying is true but only true of real coilovers. I wouldn't go with a sleeve type. If you're on a budget, stick with H&R or Comptech springs with your stock shocks.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Bada Bing

I just made the switch to the Ground Control coilover system from Comptech Springs. The ride quality isn't bad at all. The fronts do have a small "sqeeking" if you hit a bump hard enough but nothing killer and if you have the radio on even at a low volume you won't even hear it.

I didn't use the kit that uses the stock shock setup, I went with the Koni setup. I contemplated going with the "full" coilover setup b/c it would have run me approximately the same cost but I didn't like the idea of having to replace the entire unit if the shock went or if it bent b/c I accidentally caught a pot hole the wrong way. (Had it happen to one of my stock shock before when I used springs).

It's all personal preference I guess...if you want the effect but don't have the cash the Ground Controls will work for what you're looking for. If you're looking to road race or drive abnormally hard I'd even recommend the "full" coilover setup.

By the way, if you do order the Ground Control...order directly from them. They will exchange the rear springs to compensate for any added weight you may have in the truck due to a system or whatever for free. I had to replace the rear springs b/c the ones that come with the kit were too soft for the weight of my system.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Racer

SlyTLS,

I take it you're happy with the ride quality? I like the point you make about being able to replace the struts without replacing the entire unit. WD40 would probably take care of any squeaks you're hearing!

What I like about the coilovers is that I get to choose how low the car rides as well as how stiff the ride is. I wouldn't go with the Koni setup since that one locks you in. At least the stock setup allows for Tokico struts should I ever go that route.

Like I said, my boy is singing the praises of coilovers vs. springs. I think the adjustability alone may be worth the extra $$. Then again, having to buy a camber kit may squash the whole deal.

My wife is already b!tching about my sound system, aero kit, and tinting expenditures. Why can't we all just get along??????