Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clifford or Compustar?

Hey guys,

Which one of these alarms would you recommend:

Clifford Avant Guard 4

or

Compustar with the digital Pager

I need to know which one of these alarms would be best for my car. Also, I need every available function for an alarm (Remote start, shock sensor, motion sensor, etc...)

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:15 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

In my OPINION!, get the compustar. I loved mine and never worried once about my car with this alarm!! I does not have a motion sensor though just a dual stage shock sensor. I guess you could get a infrared sensor installed in the loop though...

I just loved the range of the pager

Just get it...
Old 04-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
In my OPINION!, get the compustar. I loved mine and never worried once about my car with this alarm!! I does not have a motion sensor though just a dual stage shock sensor. I guess you could get a infrared sensor installed in the loop though...

I just loved the range of the pager

Just get it...
how much does it cost??
Old 04-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 69tl

how much does it cost??
There is a Compustar 2000 LCD on ebay going for $375.00
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...tem=1345730867

There's a newer model 3000 with longer range.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Get the Compustar 3000 for less than $300 and save a ton of money over the Clifford. I have the Compustar 3000 and the range on the remote is remarkable. I was an installer for many years so i can speak with authority when i tell you the Compustar is my recomendation. Although i will admit i liked my Clifford Omnisensor so much that i reused it in my new Acura with the Compustar alarm instead of the sensor that comes with the Compustar. I cant say that the Compustar sensor isnt good, but in all the years i had my Omnisensor, it never falsed, even in strong thunderstorms or when big trucks drove past my car.
BTW, you can get a Compustar from fredg@wiremagic.com. He is a member of these boards and his company distributes them up in Canada. Forget the old stlye model being sold on Ebay. The model 3000 is the latest version and has the best range.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Ok I vote for Clifford. Look at the history of the company. That's all they do. They've been around for a long time.

I guess you can say that any alarm will do it's job, until someone breaks in. Compustar may be good, but has anyone actually had a breakin and not had their car stolen?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:02 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I had the sensor in my compustar soooo sensetive that if anyone so much as tried to open the door the vibration from the latch snapping back into the door when it was locked would set the warning chirp off and I would be jumping over my patio with a big old golf club looking for heads to golf!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had a Cifford Intelliguard IQ-900 in my GS-R and I loved it. The IQ-900 in my buddy's Integra Type R prevented theives from being able to start his car -- they slim-jimmed the lock, yanked the ignition and sawed through his steering wheel to remove the Club -- and that's how he found it in his office parking lot. (Unfortunately, someone decided they wanted it REALLY bad and apparently towed it away one night. It was found totally stripped a few days later.)

Anycrap, based on all the features and real-world experiences, my vote would be for Clifford as well.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
clifford is a very good brand for alarms. So much that I've heard many a time from random passer bys or conversations where people go, wow, you have a clifford? or you know, "normal" theives just back off from a clifford, etc.. etc. Anti carjacking is a nice touch.

BUT, I've had two cliffords and I think their complexity leads to occasional slight bugs sometimes. This was especially true in the older alarms. I had a 'proximity sensor' which was radar based and well, no matter how I set it, the sensitivity would go haywire sometimes. Then one time, the "brain" completely died on me. Had to get it repaired. Somehow it just did. No one knows how. And STILL even from the shop, the proxy sensor would work for a while, then started having weird sensing errors again.

On the new one, I just got a shock sensor but then cars rumbling by in the garage or planes passing overhead would throw it off so I finally had to put it in its least sensitive mode. I even went to a different shop, thinking they'll do a better install. I must say tho, the new one has less bugs but still, occasionally, it'd trip out. For example, the anti carjacking stuff, usually, when you open the door or whatever, it doesnt start counting until the car is engaged in drive again. More than once, it has started counting without the car in 'drive' causing me to rush back to turn it off. Its little weird things like that that throw me off. Other than that, I'm happy with it. Maybe I just have bad luck with installers.

Now, on the flipside, ever since they've been bought out by DEI, it seems like their technology has stagnated. I haven't seen any breakthroughs yet since the G4/Blackjax tech. They used to be cutting edge but now it doesn't look like it anymore. This compustar technology was something I expected out of clifford first. Oh well, I guess as with all things, we'll see in time but compustar IS very nice and no doubt it'll wake clifford/DEI up if it wants to stay in the game. Already, they're bringing in extended range 1/4 mile antenna's on the newest clifford matrix models, but still a far cry from two way comm.

compustar if you want the cutting edge tech factor. Cuz hell, if someone spent all that time messing around your car (slimjiming, wirecutting, towing), it'd have paged you already and you can call in the calvary or go in vigilante style.
clifford if you want some recognition from 'anyone' who looks at the keychain and then back off while going "dude, what kinda car do you drive?!" I never really understood this because a clifford alarm can be had for 300 or a little less (albeit featureless) and the person would still have the same remote so it didnt make too much sense that some kids still go googoo over it.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Retired MOD

Lightbulb

More info about compustar http://www.compustar.org/products/index.html

Very sweet looking alarm :wow: