CL 6-Speed????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 6-Speed????

Anybody know when it's coming out and if any new features and options available. I been driving a CL type S the last few days and wow that is fast. I might be interested in getting the 6 speed. Any info. appreciated
Old 01-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.acura-cl.com

Old 01-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: CL 6-Speed????

Originally posted by evsweat1
Anybody know when it's coming out and if any new features and options available. I been driving a CL type S the last few days and wow that is fast. I might be interested in getting the 6 speed. Any info. appreciated
Well it's coming out for 99% sure. The face lift is UGLY IMHO.

you will get the handbrake instead of the foot parking brake. More hoursepowere I believe, around 290hp to 295hp. No VSA (stability control) but it comes with LSD. To be honest I hate the fact that Lexus and Acura doesn't offer VSA with manual tranny. BMW does, so why can't they...

It's a really good safety future...
Old 01-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

What's LSD?? Not sure anyway I think traction control sucks anyway it makes u get stuck in mud or snow b/c it limits the wheels from spinning and also burns your brakes out very stupid thing. It is only good for high speed slipping if occurs other than that it's a waste ppl that knopw how to drive don't need no VSA or TCS bull****.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Racer

Re: CL 6-Speed????

My dealer is taking orders for march delivery. HP is the same, and no indication (as of last weekend) about pricing. Manuals are usually cheaper, but it is a "limited production" vehicle, so who knows (the 350Z Touring model has the 6spd as a $1500 some dollar option!).

The gear ratios promise to improve low end performance. They are posted on the Acura CL forumn, I don't have them handy.

The LSD is a form of traction control, albeit a mechanical version. The LSD in the CL is a helical gear version, as opposed to the viscous fluid type. LSD is also know an positraction, for you fans of old muscle cars out there. It allows one front wheel to turn faster than another to allow a turn to occur, but if things get too out of hand, LSD essentially synch's (locks) the front wheels together, forcing torque to both tires.

The VSA on the Type S employs the ABS to accomplish this, and also adds ignition retardation. VSA also attempts to correct erronious yaw inputs (again via ABS), which would cause the ass end to pass the front end. Not USUALLY a good thing.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What's LSD?? Not sure anyway I think traction control sucks anyway it makes u get stuck in mud or snow b/c it limits the wheels from spinning and also burns your brakes out very stupid thing. It is only good for high speed slipping if occurs other than that it's a waste ppl that knopw how to drive don't need no VSA or TCS bull****.
Limited Slip Differencial(spelling?)

It will transfer the torque to the wheel with more traction when onw wheel slips...

Well, TCS sucks. That I agree, but it's still nice to have because thing caught you off gurad sometimes, especially whe you are tired, and when you fear people honking you jam on the gas (at a stop light e.g.)

VSA and other Stability control are totally different......

put it this way... if they use in Formular One racing and wanted to ban it... don't you think it really works?

How good are you from recovering from oversteer? and what about understeer?

and how many people actually knows what to do in a panic.....

it's not only safer for whoever that's in the car, but for others around it , too........

JMHO
Old 01-22-2002, 08:08 PM
Racer

I would tend to disagree with you a little here. The LSD (Limited Slip Differential)(especially the form the CL is getting, a Helical LSD) is actally a good thing for low-end pull. A car will naturally tend to spin a wheel that loses traction, while at the same time the other may be perfectly still (worst case scenario, one wheel on ice, one on dry pavement). It is possibe that you might even break a wheel loose on normal pavement conditions, in which case LSD will step in and help.

LSD is "Limited Slip Differential" - it does not use your brakes to accomplish it's job the way TCS or VSA do. It is gearing within the differential that accomplishes the task.

I will agree that VSA on the CL/TL is largely a waste - it is far more useful, however, on extremely powerful rear-wheel drive cars with a natural tendency to push the ass past the nose (the 993 and prior 911 Turbo is an EXCELLENT example!). The new (996) 911 uses advanced "VSA" to keep the ass end in line. On a car such as this, it is an extremly valuable tool that will help all but the most advanced drivers. Sending the 996 (or attempting to) into an oversteer condition is rather difficult with the "VSA" enabled. The car just wants to track in the direction the wheels are pointed (not understeer, it does just-right-steer). However, turn off the "VSA", take a decreasing-radius sweeper at a high rate of speed, and let off the throttle just a little (and I do mean A LITTLE) too much, and you'll be do a nice 180 or so like you can't imagine. The VSA helps those people who either a)can't initiate proper oversteer (initiate too much) and would swing the ass to far around, or b)can't initiate proper oversteer so instead let off the throttle, and swing the ass around as the rear wheels nearly lock up under engine braking.

Again, that's all a moot point on Acura's these days!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Re: Re: CL 6-Speed????

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

Well it's coming out for 99% sure. The face lift is UGLY IMHO.

you will get the handbrake instead of the foot parking brake. More hoursepowere I believe, around 290hp to 295hp. No VSA (stability control) but it comes with LSD. To be honest I hate the fact that Lexus and Acura doesn't offer VSA with manual tranny. BMW does, so why can't they...

It's a really good safety future...
290hp ??? . . . in your dreams. The 6-spd CL-S has the same 260hp powerplant as the SS CL-S and TL-S.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:33 AM
Intermediate

Considering most people out there have no idea what their doing and these cars are so fast it probably would help. These people need all the help they can get. So i would agree with you there, it might help them not to collide with us. And the LSD is a great thing all cars should have that. (Especially if it doesn't use ABS to correct it)
Old 01-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Advanced

I have never viewed LSD or posi as a safety feature. I view it purely as a performance feature. When one of your drive wheels begins to spin the LSD will lock up the differential, which in turn synchronizes both the left and right drive wheels. The net effect is under low traction conditions during acceleration both drive wheels rotate at the same rate thus enhancing straight line traction when accelerating.

I used to love flooring the gas in my Mustang around a 90deg turn. When the back wheels start to spin the LSD woudl lock up the differential and the car would fish tail around the corner. Performed correctly the car would slide through the corner and then sling shot out of the turn.