View Poll Results: How Are Your CT Springs Holding Up..??
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
24.14%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
41.38%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
31.03%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Check Your Comptech Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well im screwed. I dont have my reciept. I bought it from this site sponser, is there anyway to get a copy recpit from them again? i cant believe this.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

i'm not saying i'm pissed.
i just hope they recognize the issue and make
some reasonable correction.

i will post pics...and u tell me.
these springs should have absolutely no rust signs.
not at this point.
even in the Northeast.
whats wrong with these California people!.

and it would be kool if they powder coated them a different color, other
than black.

like ferrari yellow or that racing red color...like brake calipers.

hey!...asloudasitgets!.
u want a copy of my receipt.

u could do that 'Dan Rather' thing.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

and i was so proud of myself, installing them in my garage.
by myself.
with a floor jack.
in the winter.
never swapped springs before in my Life.
my wife thinking i was

Old 09-16-2004, 11:51 PM

This is unbelievable. I have never seen aftermarket springs rust like this. Aftermarket springs are supposed to be engineered much better than any OEM setup.

Very scary, Jonesi might have saved peoples lives here.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by asloudasitgets
i dont know what others are getting but i am getting teins ss with the edfc unit. once a company screws up to this extent then they just lost all my loyalty i gave them. i havent heard 1 thing about teins and so far no one has said anything about them rusting or any other problems. i mean this is rediculous even my 1989 chevy vans springs arnt rusted, freaking it hasnt even been a year and a half and to the extent of what the springs look like is just inexcuseable. especially for a company know for its quality.
teins are some of these absolute best in the business. Highly recommended
Old 09-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Drifting

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but check the thread on a-cl.com

It appears as though Comptech is shipping EIBACH PRO KITS as replacements.

Recall that this kit sags the rear more than the front on the TL (about even on the CL) and many people will require a camber kit and rub.

Has anyone installed the replacements yet? Please post your pictures.

gg Comptech
Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's true, they are sending out Eibach springs. WTF! I was getting set to order my comptech's today, but I went to the CL forum and the drama is just getting started.

Just some of the concerns

1. Eibach's ride harsher than Comptechs
2. The Pro Kit sits level, so no longer can we get the raked look.
3. The drop is more aggressive. The replacements they are sending out will cause people to perhaps have rubbing issues that they didn't have before.
4. The are selling comptech springs, but they are Eibachs, and charging up to $100 more for the spring that you can get elsewhere. False advertising if I ever heard of it.
5. High probability for a camber kit now being needed with the new black springs.

I personally had a set of Eibach Pro Kit on my Accord. The ride was a quite a bit stiffer and the rears sagged on me. I am extremely disappointed with this situation. I was all set to get my Comptechs and now this crap. Frustrated for sure. I feel for the members on the board who are getting the replacements and when they install the new black springs, they will find out that they got Eibachs and could perhaps have more issues with fitment and rubbing on the more aggressive drop.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Ackniculous One

Another quick question:

Just curious, for those of you who have the bad rusting on the silver comptech springs, when washing your car, did you on a regular basis use a pressure washer at a self serve car wash and spray really good in the fender wells with soap and water to remove the salt and dirt that destroyed your springs? I lived in Minnesota for 3 years and with all the salt they use there, my Eibachs looked almost new during the whole time I had them. Only slight rust spots where the spring set in the perch on the strut tower.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:27 AM
AH-64D apache longbow

whoa, this is slightly unnerving. I installed my Comptech Sports in June of last year. Just checked them out in the garage with a flashlight, they looked dirty but otherwise uncorroded. Although my car was in storage for quite some time, undriven. Sweet, I still have my receipt just in case.. I like the drop, I really don't want to have to replace them anytime soon. If anyone else has success replacing them no charge, let us know.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Ackniculous One

Well, after extensive research on this issue on the A-TL and A-CL forums, I am going with H&R Sport (#50103). This seems to be the closest thing to the Comptech Drop and almost 1/2 the price. About $195 shipped through car domain dot com. This H&R drop still gives the car a raked look, but not quite as much as the comptech drop.

Comptech really is letting me down with this Eibach switch-a-roo fiasco. I mean, wy pay over $300 for a Comptech "Eibach" Pro-Kit when I could just go with H&R's like many folks on this forum and pay about $195 shipped for the H&R Sports #50103. It still gives the raked look I like and good ride quality. I had Eibachs before on another car..way, way to harsh a ride for my taste.

This whole situation just plain ol sucks. For those of you on the silvers, pay close attention and be safe. Spring failure could be very dangerous. I think the folks who discovered this issue should be commended for getting the word out to current silver Comptech owners and future owners.

Thanks, you helped me out big time with my decision.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Ackniculous One

Ok, last post from me on this. I just talked to Nate at Comptech USA. Great guy and really polite. He did in fact confirm that they are sending out the new black springs, and that those springs are indeed Eibach Pro-Kits. He was really honest about the situation, but he mentioned that about 1% of the silver coated springs have been coming back and replaced under warranty. Just by looking at the posts, it seems the issue is bigger than 1% but I don't work at Comptech and I don't "yet" have comptech springs so I won't judge.

I also asked him that since they are selling Eibach Pro Kits now instead of what we have come to know as Comptech, would Comptech USA lower the price to match up more to what other vendors are selling Pro Kits for. He said that they will not at this time lower their price.

I also mentioned to him the concerns about members who will be sending their corroding springs back and getting the new Eibachs, that with the new drop heights, their setup can be dramatically altered, i.e. camber issues and rubbing with the lower drop. He didn't really say anything regarding that, so that may be something you want to look at really close.

I just wanted to share with you this info. This may sway some folks to get other springs or get Eibach "Comptech" replacement.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Drifting

" he mentioned that about 1% of the silver coated springs have been coming back and replaced under warranty"

Yes but 99% of them are rusting. Not an accurate statistic.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sucks. I just bought a set of Comptech springs from someone on ebay who only used them for a couple thousand miles...and of course I can't return them. They look perfect. Any advice to keep them that way?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by IndyTypeS
This sucks. I just bought a set of Comptech springs from someone on ebay who only used them for a couple thousand miles...and of course I can't return them. They look perfect. Any advice to keep them that way?
I would highly recommend to periodically take your car to the self serve car wash and use the pressure wand and spray the hell out of your fender wells and springs to remove the salt, sand, animal parts and whatever else that attaches to coil springs. By removing the suffocating salt and sand, the springs should not suffer at all. I did this living in Minnesota (heavy salt and sand use during winter) and my springs on my old car never rusted and when removed, looked new.

I think cleaning in there really good is often overlooked by many people. I was one of them until I saw the positive effects regular power washing in the fenderwells can do.

I was wondering if spraying another couple coats of high temperature rust oleum paint may help repel water? I used high temp flat black rust oleum spray paint on my old rear drums and they never rusted one bit.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by hemants
" he mentioned that about 1% of the silver coated springs have been coming back and replaced under warranty"

Yes but 99% of them are rusting. Not an accurate statistic.
totally. The breaking of the springs is the eventual conclusion to this sad dilemma. Comptech should make an attempt to contact known purchasers on this issue. If someone has a spring failure, loses control and get seriously injured or worse, they could open themselves up to lawsuits. It seems like they are making good on replacing the springs for customers that contact them, so I applaud them for that. But giving people Eibachs instead of the "old' comptechs is not cool. Some people got the comptechs because they were, well, comptechs!
Old 10-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Drive fast & swerve

Thanks for the advice. I usually give a quick spray in the fender wells when I wash the car, but I'll be sure to spend a little more time now. Looks like I'll be spray painting today.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Instructor

could this have anything to do with the amount of salt you guys deal with up north?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 PM
i am so happy

[QUOTE=Jonesi]I recently went for a routine inspection and was told my springs are cracked on 3 out of 4 springs..

you had not noticed before the inspection that they where fucked! jesus.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrwiggs
you had not noticed before the inspection that they where fucked! jesus.
No, I did not notice any problems before hand.. Thank you for your insight though..
Old 10-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Instructor

is CT replacing the springs?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY
I would highly recommend to periodically take your car to the self serve car wash and use the pressure wand and spray the hell out of your fender wells and springs to remove the salt, sand, animal parts and whatever else that attaches to coil springs. By removing the suffocating salt and sand, the springs should not suffer at all. I did this living in Minnesota (heavy salt and sand use during winter) and my springs on my old car never rusted and when removed, looked new.

I think cleaning in there really good is often overlooked by many people. I was one of them until I saw the positive effects regular power washing in the fenderwells can do.

I was wondering if spraying another couple coats of high temperature rust oleum paint may help repel water? I used high temp flat black rust oleum spray paint on my old rear drums and they never rusted one bit.

NOT A GOOD IDEA. If the powdercoating is weak to begin with, the pressure of the spray nozzle will just make the finish flake off more. I say spray them down with something like Simple Green and hose them down gently.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
NOT A GOOD IDEA. If the powdercoating is weak to begin with, the pressure of the spray nozzle will just make the finish flake off more. I say spray them down with something like Simple Green and hose them down gently.
Yeah I sprayed under my wheel wells regularly and mine rusted in a little over a year. If you don't have them on the car yet you could just put some high quality paint on them or get them powder coated. I think the steel is messed up though. Springs shouldn't break with no coating at all.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Since the Pro Kit drop is too aggressive and will cause camber and rubbing issues, is there any type of spacer that one can put in to have it sit a bit higher?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Also, please check your silver comptech sways. Mine are covered in rust.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98568
Old 10-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Well, I guess Comptech has some garbage powdercoat then. I did this with my eibachs for years and no issues at all using high pressure water to clean the springs. Since Eibach is now the replacement, that changed my mind. I went ahead and got the H&R Sport 50103 and love em. Comptech really isn't stepping up if you ask me. It's nice they are giving out new springs, but they are a completely different manufacturer and drop spec...I hope those of you getting replacements are happy with the fix. I wouldn't be.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Drive fast & swerve

I bought high temp. clear spray and gave the springs a few good coats...think that'll be best? I haven't put them on yet since I'm having problems locating somebody locally to do the job...