Cheap Mp3 player solution in the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Mp3 player solution in the car

I recently bought a Mintek MDP-5861 and Mintek MDP-1720. Both of which are portable DVD players. MDP-5861 comes with a 5inch screen and MDP-1720 comes with a 7 inch screen. Seems both of these play Mp3 off DVD disc. So you're looking at 1200 mp3 or more on a DVD disc (depends on quality of the Mp3 files). Here is the good part. MDP-5861 only cost $140 and MDP-1720 only cost $200 at BrandsMartUSA. This is a cheaper solution then anything other Mp3 players with 4gig. I have the 15 gig iPOD and Mini, Which cost me $250 and $300. Those don't even play DVD,VCD,JPEG,MPG. Currently I have 1268 Mp3, 10 mpg video, and 50 jpeg on a DVD. It comes with a car plug also. You would need a tape deck adapter or a blitzsafe adpter also. I'll take some pics of it later in my car. I have it velcro over the drink holders.

Here is the 1720. Which I like more then the smaller but thicker 5861. I also like the bigger 7 inch screen.

See how small it is next to my IPAQ? The thing in the back is the battery pack which you don't need in the car.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea. Let us all know how it works out.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Instructor

It's a good alternative, but the sound qualitys not going to be too good
Old 08-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeLLxRiSeS
It's a good alternative, but the sound qualitys not going to be too good
Whats wrong with the sound quality? It pumps out better bass then the iPOD and same as my mp3 CD changer.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

is the player reliable?? how is the DVD picture quality also?? thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big mike 13
is the player reliable?? how is the DVD picture quality also?? thanks
My first DVD player was Mintek and it's still working after 4-5 yrs, so I'm guessing Mintek is ok. I only had the player for a week. DVD picture is about the same as other Portable DVDs I own which included Toshiba and APEX. I'm recommending these two portable players because they play Mp3 off DVD. Most DVD players today will play Mp3 but not off DVD. So you're stuck with about 160 mp3s off a CD, this player will play Mp3 off a DVD which holds around 1100-1200 songs. A good alternative to iPods and other 4 gigs MP3 players which are more expensive then these players. It also has antishock, so it won't be skipping.

Here's more pixs of it in my car

Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
sounds like a cool idea....if you burn the mp3s on the DVD, and you have folders, this thing can read folders?

Also, i see the adapter you have hagning there, what is it?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:06 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
that sounds like a good idea~
my concern would be the player's attractiveness to thiefs. i know you can tug it away whenever you leave the car but that would be a bit of a hassle, yes? just a thought plus there goes the space for the cup holders and personally i leave my hand on the center arm rest to shift so it might get in the way?
Old 08-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
that sounds like a good idea~
my concern would be the player's attractiveness to thiefs. i know you can tug it away whenever you leave the car but that would be a bit of a hassle, yes? just a thought plus there goes the space for the cup holders and personally i leave my hand on the center arm rest to shift so it might get in the way?
I have dark tint so thief isn't a real concern to me but yes, that has cross my mind. If I need to use the cupholder, I can always put the DVD player on the arm rest. I also have a Mp3 CD changer. The main problem with that is that it doesn't shuffle songs between cds. The DVD player basically has 1200 songs on one disc.

I'm using the MDP1720 because I like the 7 inch screen. You guys thinking about this can get the MDP-5861 with 5 inch screen and it's smaller then my MDP1720 and cheaper. Maybe you can stuff that somewhere else.

I use the DVD player for songs, so I don't need to have the LCD screen up. So it doesn't get in the way of shifting.

The main point I'm making is that you can get a 4.3 gig mp3 player for less then $150. I still enjoy my iPOD but the DVD player can do other things the iPOD can't.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknoking
sounds like a cool idea....if you burn the mp3s on the DVD, and you have folders, this thing can read folders?

Also, i see the adapter you have hagning there, what is it?
Yeah, it reads folders which is great. It can also go into all files mode, so you can shuffle between all your songs. If you leave it in folder mode, it only shuffle between the songs in that folder. The main problem I have with the all song modes is that there is a 3-5 second delay, but that's just the head searching for the new songs.

I have folders for my MPEG videos, JPEG pixs, and my Mp3 songs.

The adapter? I think you're refering to my PDA charger/holder?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:22 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hzm82
I have dark tint so thief isn't a real concern to me but yes, that has cross my mind. If I need to use the cupholder, I can always put the DVD player on the arm rest. I also have a Mp3 CD changer. The main problem with that is that it doesn't shuffle songs between cds. The DVD player basically has 1200 songs on one disc.

I'm using the MDP1720 because I like the 7 inch screen. You guys thinking about this can get the MDP-5861 with 5 inch screen and it's smaller then my MDP1720 and cheaper. Maybe you can stuff that somewhere else.

I use the DVD player for songs, so I don't need to have the LCD screen up. So it doesn't get in the way of shifting.

The main point I'm making is that you can get a 4.3 gig mp3 player for less then $150. I still enjoy my iPOD but the DVD player can do other things the iPOD can't.
ahh, the tints. didnt think about that.

i totally get your point about the 4+ gigs of music at a cost much lower than an mp3 player of similar capacity--its a great investment for anyone who wishes to watch videos AND have basically unlimited supply of music in their car.

actually i have the 4gb muvo2 mp3 player hooked up to a tape cassete adapter in the car. got it for 200 bucks back when there was still stock (now massively hunted down for its valuable 4gb microdrive for resale). i would have thought about ur idea if i dont have this little gadget, though!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hzm82
You would need a tape deck adapter or a blitzsafe adpter also.
Compare the sound quality of those 2 adapters and an in dash
Old 08-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
ahh, the tints. didnt think about that.

i totally get your point about the 4+ gigs of music at a cost much lower than an mp3 player of similar capacity--its a great investment for anyone who wishes to watch videos AND have basically unlimited supply of music in their car.

actually i have the 4gb muvo2 mp3 player hooked up to a tape cassete adapter in the car. got it for 200 bucks back when there was still stock (now massively hunted down for its valuable 4gb microdrive for resale). i would have thought about ur idea if i dont have this little gadget, though!
I have the Muvo2 also, but I have taken out the 4 gig microdrive for my IPAQ PDA, so it only has a 512 MB CF card in it and I rarely even use it since my iPOD (only for jogging). Current selling Muvo2 has a different firmware microdrive, so the microdrive can not longer be removed and the price for Muvo2 has dropped to around 150. Also another good cheap solution to a mp3 player.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:53 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I never thought about that as an idea for playing mp3s.... you guys are genious, you hae all the ideas...

Some quick questions:
1. What kind of power source are you using?? It seems that most portable dvd players have battery lifes of maybe 4 to 6 hours or less.... are you using some type of an adapter??
2. Can the screen for both of the models you mentioned be used for anything else??? Can one hook up their carputer to it and use navigation software??
3. Can you use the unit with the screen closed?? I mean if I wanted could I start the unit and then place it inside the armrest or glovebox???
4. Can you show us pics of the 5 inch display model???
5. Where did you get the chrome shift plate, that shit is soooo phat???
6. Why do you have cloth covers over your leather seats???
Thanks....(the last two questions are me just being nosey and are for inquiring minds... )
Old 08-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

Compare the sound quality of those 2 adapters and an in dash
I have done that, I have compared an in dash DVD-A disc, indash CD, trunk CD changer, blitzsafe Aux input, FM module, cheap FM transmitter, and tape deck adapter.

Of course nothing is going to beat my DVD-Audio disc on my 04 TL (too bad the only crappy DVD-A I have is classical music), in dash non-burned CD takes the win in my 99 TL.

Second place is the trunk cd changer.

Next would have to be blitzsafe aux input. Even tho the tape deck adapter is louder when switching between the two at the same vol level......tape deck adapter loses sound quality when you turn the vol way up, lost of bass, and over time loses sound quality. (so keep buying new tape deck adapter every 6 weeks if you want optimal sould quality). Depending on what quality my mp3s are, aux input isn't so degraded, near cd quality.

4th place is the tape deck adapter (this sounds better then FM radio and cheapest solution to having an aux input) .

5th is the FM module found on my old 6 disc CD changer.....ok FM quality.

Last place would be the sucky stand alone FM transmitters........keep away from these........AM sound quality crap even tho it's on FM and you keep having to readjust the FM station it's set on when you drive, and it loses over radio station (so don't even consider one if one of the band it uses is taken by a radio station).

That's my review. I tried to be unbias as possible.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by indoMFP
Man, I never thought about that as an idea for playing mp3s.... you guys are genious, you hae all the ideas...

Some quick questions:
1. What kind of power source are you using?? It seems that most portable dvd players have battery lifes of maybe 4 to 6 hours or less.... are you using some type of an adapter??
2. Can the screen for both of the models you mentioned be used for anything else??? Can one hook up their carputer to it and use navigation software??
3. Can you use the unit with the screen closed?? I mean if I wanted could I start the unit and then place it inside the armrest or glovebox???
4. Can you show us pics of the 5 inch display model???
5. Where did you get the chrome shift plate, that shit is soooo phat???
6. Why do you have cloth covers over your leather seats???
Thanks....(the last two questions are me just being nosey and are for inquiring minds... )

1. It comes with 12V car adapter, you don't need the removal battery.
2. The screen has a A/V input, so you can hook up anything that has A/V cables........I currently have a PS2 in my car hooked up to the screen (of course you need another power inverter for the PS2)
3. Yes music will still play when the screen is closed. That's how I have the unit when I drive, I don't like the screen getting in the way when I'm driving. I'm using it for music with shuffle mode anyways so I don't need the screen.
4. 5 in display model was a gift for some1 so I no longer have it, it's a little thicker in dept compare to th the model above, but it's a square shape and smaller in width. You can do a search online for pictures.
5. The chrome shift plate is on all 99 TL exclusive, The 99 TL owners just need to remove the silver paint over it, 00-03 TL can not do this, it will just melt their plate.
6. The cloth covers are from Sam club, they were 17 dollars for the 2, a very cheap buy. I bought them because we been going to the beach alot and I was sick of cleaning the leather seats.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Race Director

Hzm

OK, how about this if you attach velcro adhesive to the back of the player, and sit it, somewhere on the top of the dashboard (right on top of the 'acura' emblem you have there), you think that will work, as where to keep it while driving? I see the remote is there, so you dont have to reach for it.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Race Director

(i think its 3.2TL emblem u have there)
Old 08-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Instructor

what's brandmartusa?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Race Director

a big store in Florida...

nothing like that in NYC ;/
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknoking
Hzm

OK, how about this if you attach velcro adhesive to the back of the player, and sit it, somewhere on the top of the dashboard (right on top of the 'acura' emblem you have there), you think that will work, as where to keep it while driving? I see the remote is there, so you dont have to reach for it.
There is velcro attached to the player. That's how it's sitting securely over the cupholders. Placing it on the dash is a bad idea. It's illegal for DVD players to be in plain sight of the driver. So keeping it on the dash will attract cops as well as thief. Not even dark tint will prevent some1 from seeing the player on the dash. Second if I put the player over the 3.2 TL badge.........the air bag will kill it and might launch the player at some1. Third, velcro will be in plain slight and looks ugly if the player is not over it. I already considered other place and the cup holder seems to be the only position possible. I can still use the cupholder. Velcro can't be seen if I have the cupholder open. It's in easy reach incase I want to change disc and less likely to be seen by other people. It's also good to keep it there incase my rear passanger wants to look at a DVD or play my PS2.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned

what's brandmartusa?
It's a store. Their prices are about 10-30+ dollars less then other retails (even online retails). The only down side to them is the no return policy. You can only exchage for the same item if it's defective within 30 days. Bestbuy carries the MDP-5XXX series for like 160 dollars. brandmartusa has that for 130-140.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:23 PM
10th Gear

I can not find Mintek MDP-1720 at brandsmartusa anymore. sold out???
Old 08-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by howardc888
I can not find Mintek MDP-1720 at brandsmartusa anymore. sold out???
I guess it depends on location too. Brandsmartusa in W Palm still has them in stock